I just can't seem to get my hands to work independently. My hands just want to go back to shredding. :/ Where do I start to learn this? I of course want to jump straight into Tommy Emmanuel stuff, but thats not particularly practical. What exercises should I practice seeing as I already know how to play with a pick very well.
songs like freight train and windy and warm are nice starts to get into that style. you can also look into classical guitar arrangements like bouree as well.
Quote by robobond
songs like freight train and windy and warm are nice starts to get into that style. you can also look into classical guitar arrangements like bouree as well.

By Chet Atkins, I presume? Obviously Bouree isn't, but I'll look into it.
Quote by robobond

This, freight train is the first song Tommy Emmanuel recommends; do it!
Yeah, those are great songs to start with. Gets you workin on the boom chick which is REAL helpful and opens up so many songs!
1966 Stella Harmony Acoustic
Epiphone Dot Studio
Fender Starcaster (Made by 5 year olds in China)
THE Epiphone Mandolin
Dean 7 String (Totally Korean)
Yamaha C45m
Mitchell 12 MD100S

More Strings=More Range=More BadAssery
Start using your thumb to hit the bass motes, you will do that alot. Some good songs to start off with would be tears in heaven by Eric clapton, heart of life by John Mayer and blackbird by the beatles. Those songs aren't too hard, but they do give you a challenge anyway.
play very slowly - slow enough to think as you play. that way, you can keep your fingers and thumb doing what you want rather than what they want, if you see what i mean.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
A general rule of thumb (no pun ) that applies to 90% of that kind of music is use the thumb for the notes/fretting on the Low E, A and D string, and the other fingers for the G, B and high e string. (all right hand ofcourse)

With this rule, tablature in this style makes much more sense as wel as this style of music in general.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I would start with some basic two-finger picking over some easy chord progressions. Maybe start with open A-G-D-B (5-3-4-2) using your thumb on A and D and your index finger on G and B. Once you can do that without thinking just lay some simple chords over it like maybe C-E7-Am-C7-F-G7-C. Another simple pattern is just A-D-G-B using 4 fingers starting with your thumb up to your ring finger.
Quote by kLinic
By Chet Atkins, I presume? Obviously Bouree isn't, but I'll look into it.

They're not originally by him but he does nice versions, yes.