Here's my obscure death metal composition that is influenced by Morbid Angel and Immolation (and maybe some other bands, dunno). I need some basic feedback:

1) Does it hold the listener's interest for the entire span of the composition?
2) If there is something I should change, what it would be?
3) Does the song sound original/unoriginal, why?
4) Should I add solo somewhere, where?
Attachments:
obscuredeathmetal1.gp4
obscuredeathmetal1.gp5
Last edited by ironmaidendude at Jul 5, 2011,
1. Yeah it does, I like the odd time signatures and chords you use, they keep it interesting. I also like how you repeat really long sections of the song rather than repeating short bits, because they stop the song sounding too repetitive but still keep it cohesive.
2. I notice you don't really use the two highest strings and I'm not saying you have to , it's just that this could make the song more interesting with some higher pitched notes or a melody or something.
3. Sounds pretty original to me, a nice combination or tremolo picking and straight up riffs.
4. I wouldn't add a solo just for the sake of it, if you come up with something that will add something to the song then go for it but otherwise, the song doesn't sound lacking without a solo.

Feel free to check out my new track, Envenomate
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/crushingmetal/music/all/play1019752
Quote by crushingmetal
1. Yeah it does, I like the odd time signatures and chords you use, they keep it interesting. I also like how you repeat really long sections of the song rather than repeating short bits, because they stop the song sounding too repetitive but still keep it cohesive.
2. I notice you don't really use the two highest strings and I'm not saying you have to , it's just that this could make the song more interesting with some higher pitched notes or a melody or something.
3. Sounds pretty original to me, a nice combination or tremolo picking and straight up riffs.
4. I wouldn't add a solo just for the sake of it, if you come up with something that will add something to the song then go for it but otherwise, the song doesn't sound lacking without a solo.

Feel free to check out my new track, Envenomate
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/crushingmetal/music/all/play1019752

Hey, thanks! I didn't find much use for the two highest strings because I wanted to compose fast and heavy song this time.

I will check your song some time for sure!
The first three riffs are great. I like them all, lots of power, without sounding too cliche'd. But riff 4 is just god awful. I can't emphasize enough how little I like that riff. And I sound like a dick for it, because putting in all those bends must've been the most monotonous thing ever. :/

This isn't as bad an offender on the bland drums as the first one I listened to, but it could still use some more spice. Definitely an improvement, though. I can't find too much to criticize other than that 4th riff. Definitely take that out. Other than that though, it's pretty good.
Quote by guitar_jew
The first three riffs are great. I like them all, lots of power, without sounding too cliche'd. But riff 4 is just god awful. I can't emphasize enough how little I like that riff. And I sound like a dick for it, because putting in all those bends must've been the most monotonous thing ever. :/

This isn't as bad an offender on the bland drums as the first one I listened to, but it could still use some more spice. Definitely an improvement, though. I can't find too much to criticize other than that 4th riff. Definitely take that out. Other than that though, it's pretty good.

Yeah, Riff 4 sounds a bit annoying on MIDI, but when I played it with my guitar it sounded much better. It's quite hard to simulate these kinds of bending chords so that they sound good or at least fair on GP. But thanks for your comment, nevertheless!
Alright I get the influences you're going for here, morbid angel and Immolation, and considering the atmospheric feeling that these bands have it obviously comes off better live than on guitar pro but right off the bat I notice something that lacks from the genius of Immolation on, let's say, Close to a World Below, and that's the drumming and the punches that the drummer incorporates into it.

In particular this is meant for sections such as the 4/4 section amidst the 9/8 section, in this type of sudden and unorthodox tempo change it's generally important for the drum to accentuate the pulse and make the listener feel the time signature as the author intends it to sound, in this case although I understand the intent I do not feel it, since the drumming doesn't indicate any sort of change in feel and your ear does not register it at all.

When it comes to originality, I dunno, some riffs are really cool like Riff 6 and have a very unique type of atmosphere switching from dissonant, dark, to even major for a bit and it's very colorful, I like that. On the other hand the riff right before it (Riff 5) is really 0 originality and total typical power chord fare, so it depends on the riff. As a whole it does very much ressemble a mix of morbid angel and immolation so, does it stand out, a bit, is it original, not really.

When you reach Riff 7 your transition into riff 7 and out of it are terrible, I really didn't understand that at all.

I also didn't really like riff 7 that much.

Does it require a solo? Maybe not, but personally, I would replace riff 7 by another riff and put a solo on top of it. Whatever you decide to do is ultimately up to you, but that's how I feel it.

If you could crit my WIP *Aesthetics*
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1459884

I would appreciate it!