Like overall, is it a better guitar? I'm thinking about picking one up, I play mainly hard/classic rock (AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith etc.) - would it fit?
no idean what one is better but id guess an sg would be fine, didnt i read somewhere that slash used an sg to record nightrain? could have been in his book but im not sure
I would say so (and it looks so damn cool!)

The Les Paul Studio is a no thrills Les Paul, which has it's advantages but the SG standard is a nicely made SG
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Well, I have the SG Standard, and thats all I really need in guitar (except I need a new one with floyd rose for the serious shred) BUT for rock, hard rock and metal, you can´t really go wrong with a Gibby like that BUT you might be able to find other guitar outside Gibson that can do the same, and for a couple hundred bucks less.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
the SG standard is likely to be a step up in quality over the LP studio, it depends on which individual guitars you're comparing really. Try before you buy and take your time choosing - it's well worth the effort especially when you're spending that much money.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
the SG standard is likely to be a step up in quality over the LP studio, it depends on which individual guitars you're comparing really. Try before you buy and take your time choosing - it's well worth the effort especially when you're spending that much money.

Well I already have an LP Studio, so I probably will end up getting an SG Standard, that or a VMNT1 anyways!
I like the weight of the LP (odd, I know), but I also kinda dig the feel of a good SG. If it were me, I'd go for the Les Paul. But try 'em both out and see what you like.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
A SG Standard is more of a straigth rock guitar, I feel. Like good old AC/DC, The Rolling Stones and Kiss. While a Les Paul Studio can do all of that, plus give you a nice bluesy and jazzy tone - and let you play the kind of calm rock the Beatles played. Overall a "high-end" Studio would be your choice. Don't buy one of those faded ones. Try the 50-60's Tribute once with P90's. Lots of good positive reviews on YouTube, and all over the internet. The Worn Gold Top also makes up for no bindings.

Good luck in finding your guitar, I'm having trouble myself
Dont buy either without playing both. Both very different guitars in so many ways, put the exact same guitar in two players hands and it will have a different tone. The neck, the weight, the string gauge, the pickups, the positioning of the pickups, the fret size+number, the wood, you'll find the right combination.

I went to a guitar shop, played an SG + LP standard, LP studio, SG raw power, LP studio raw power. By far and away the best one for ME was the LP raw power, godly tone over all the others including several other LP models. Prior to trying them i had it in my mind i wanted an LP standard, it felt horrible to play.

P.s i play exactly the same stuff as yourself, and i've nailed a guns + aerosmith + dc tone before on my lp studio (Raw power version).

TL: DR
The SG is more cutting, and lighter (i think?)
The LP is more versatile and fuller sound.
The guitars are handbuilt, two guitars of the same model could well sound different.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Last edited by W4T3V3R at Jul 5, 2011,
Quote by CamelCloud
A SG Standard is more of a straigth rock guitar, I feel. Like good old AC/DC, The Rolling Stones and Kiss. While a Les Paul Studio can do all of that, plus give you a nice bluesy and jazzy tone - and let you play the kind of calm rock the Beatles played. Overall a "high-end" Studio would be your choice. Don't buy one of those faded ones. Try the 50-60's Tribute once with P90's. Lots of good positive reviews on YouTube, and all over the internet. The Worn Gold Top also makes up for no bindings.

Good luck in finding your guitar, I'm having trouble myself

Hah yeah, I've heard the 50's - 60's tributes are hot, I own a Gibson LP Studio Wine Red w/ Chrome Hardware currently, made in 1999 - and it's pretty awesome.