Hello, I'm sure this gets asked a hell of a lot, and I'm sorry haha.

I'm looking into a home recording studio kind of thing, to record friends, local bands, etc. I'm going to start getting gear over the next week, because I have some spare cash, and was wondering what to invest in!
I was thinking to get a m-audio fast track ultra, which I can pick up for about $350(aus), then I'll need software, I thought I'd get Reaper, because it is cheap($50) and hopefully effective(Is it easy to grasp?). That will leave about $300 for a condenser (I already have a shure sm57, and at the moment I am only looking to record electric guitars, vocals and acoustic guitars) what condenser should I get? and any advice/suggestions?
Everything is appreciated!
If I was you I'd spend a bit more and get a Pro Tools LE rig with at least an Mbox 2. Mainly because the M-audio stuff isn't that good with MIDI which I'd imagine you'll be using at some point down the line.

Pro Tools LE8 is still great, but on the other hand you don't need an interface to work with PT9 now so if you're using a laptop you can edit anywhere
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
Quote by fwibble
If I was you I'd spend a bit more and get a Pro Tools LE rig with at least an Mbox 2. Mainly because the M-audio stuff isn't that good with MIDI which I'd imagine you'll be using at some point down the line.

Pro Tools LE8 is still great, but on the other hand you don't need an interface to work with PT9 now so if you're using a laptop you can edit anywhere

Pro Tools LE is ridiculously flawed - until 9 came out, the only PT worth buying was the HD rig, and even that is hideously overpriced, albeit actually very good.

And the M-box 2 is a horrid interface, if it even deserves the title. He's much better off with Reaper and the Fast Track, especially as he doesn't even need an interface with MIDI connections (read his post).

As for TS, I suggest you look into the Audio Technica AT-2020 and the Rode NT1A, both great mics for a fairly entry-level budget.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Thank you both. I've spoken to people who use protools and they seem to agree with DisarmGoliath, that I would be better off with reaper, especially for the price. The Rode NT1A looks great aswell, cheers!
If you can swing it, save up another $50 or so and get the Shure SM7B. It is a dynamic mic, but it is excellent for vocals (especially loud screamers) and its also, in my opinion, much better than the 57 for guitar cabs. Check the link in my sig for my soundcloud, and listen to giggity live, i recorded that using my marshall amp with the 7B and I found it much more authentic sounding than the 57

For general ease of recording a vast amount of music though, I would also suggest getting a POD for guitars/bass, so you could cater to the needs of many guitarists and be able to record much easier than with a live setup (quieter too)
NOPE
Quote by Nakon14
If you can swing it, save up another $50 or so and get the Shure SM7B. It is a dynamic mic, but it is excellent for vocals (especially loud screamers) and its also, in my opinion, much better than the 57 for guitar cabs. Check the link in my sig for my soundcloud, and listen to giggity live, i recorded that using my marshall amp with the 7B and I found it much more authentic sounding than the 57

For general ease of recording a vast amount of music though, I would also suggest getting a POD for guitars/bass, so you could cater to the needs of many guitarists and be able to record much easier than with a live setup (quieter too)

Thing is, he wants to record vocals and both electric and acoustic guitar, so a large diaphragm condenser would suit the situation much better. He also never said he only wants to record screaming (the major selling point of the SM7B) and if I remember correctly that Fast Track has an instrument input too so he can easily just DI and use amp sims (many of which are free and sound better than any of the entry level Pods).

Also, glad to see there are some people out there that use PT but don't get blinded by the brand name!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jul 5, 2011,
Quote by fwibble

this whole part of the post gave me a whole w.t.f. moment...i disagree with all of this...
^ Very true, I just didn't want to go into a super in-depth post explaining the pros and cons of the mic haha. I actually have some demos of an acoustic album I did for a guy where I used the 7B for his guitar and I really liked how it sounded. Granted, though, you have to have pretty good pre-amps for this mic to be effective, since it takes quite a bit to get a decent signal from it.

As far as looking for a condensor, I believe there is a Blue mic around that price range that I remember hearing is pretty decent, so that may be something to check out as well
NOPE