So I posted in here a week or so ago asking about legato technique. I've been working on it, and it's coming along ok. I made a video of me doing a legato exercise, was hoping some of you guys could look at it and make sure I'm not doing anything stupid.

Here's the link: Legato Video
Looks and sounds pretty good to me, but I'm not exactly the expert on legato. It came natural to me; I never bothered practicing it beyond one or two sessions.
It's not very good tbh.

Major pointers -

Timing - was more like a gallop but you're obviously aiming for triplets. This is because your fingers are weak and especially your pulloffs. You're relying far too much on the initial pick attack and you're letting the pulloffs lean into each other because you don't have good enough finger independence to play them evenly.

Volume - again, weak fingers, weak volume.

Pick/Fret synch - wasn't great, you picked a couple of notes and mistimed the co-ordination between fretting and picking hand, most noticeably at ~10s.

Economy of motion - your fretting hand pinky moves too much, although this is common, you will notice improvement if you work on it.

To correct the timing and volume issues you have to pay attention to them to fix them.

The physical issues, regarding co-ordination and strength, you can fix by doing this kind of exercise legato - www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ - and using only hammers and pulls, trying to make every note as loud as if you picked it.
Freepower: OK, I'll work on it some more along with the legato spider exercises and post up a new video next week, see if there's some improvement. Admittedly my legato sounds a lot better on electric, but I'm sure that's true of most people.
Quote by Legion6789
Admittedly my legato sounds a lot better on electric, but I'm sure that's true of most people.

Excuses. Don't lean on words when your playing should be doing the talking.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Play with both clean to work on accuracy to make sure you're hitting all the notes and making sure they ring out, and distortion so you can work on muting unwanted string noise.
Schecter Omen 6FR
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Line 6 spider IV15
Yamaha F325
I wouldn't use legato on an acoustic, personally, so I can understand where he's coming from. And calm down, Zaphod, he's not your student and not everyone is required to achieve perfection. Some of us just want to jam, brah.

Anyway, if you ask me, "legato" is just a term for "using a metric shit-ton of HO/POs in a short period of time." If you've got HO/POs down, you've basically nailed legato. If someone disagrees with me... that's cool, but I'm pretty sure my ascending legato is sexy and I've not spent a lick of time working on it.

I just need work on POs and nail that sexy descent.
Quote by freakstylez
I wouldn't use legato on an acoustic, personally, so I can understand where he's coming from. And calm down, Zaphod, he's not your student and not everyone is required to achieve perfection. Some of us just want to jam, brah.

He came in here for advice and I give my honest opinion.

He's obviously looking to improve and you can only do that by being absolutely honest about what you're doing. Telling yourself that your technique is fine just because you can't do it as well on an acoustic is a pretty pathetic excuse.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
He came in here for advice and I give my honest opinion.

He's obviously looking to improve and you can only do that by being absolutely honest about what you're doing. Telling yourself that your technique is fine just because you can't do it as well on an acoustic is a pretty pathetic excuse.

Well, I can't argue with you there. Though I'd agree with him that legato on an electric is far easier than most acoustics, largely due to the difference in action. Still, it's always important to be objective about your technique, as you said.
Besides the stuff already mentioned, be care on your pull-offs that you are not bending the string slightly or anything when you pull off, otherwise your notes won't sound right. Try to keep the string completely still when you pull-off.
Anyway, if you ask me, "legato" is just a term for "using a metric shit-ton of HO/POs in a short period of time." If you've got HO/POs down, you've basically nailed legato. If someone disagrees with me... that's cool, but I'm pretty sure my ascending legato is sexy and I've not spent a lick of time working on it.

Yeah, it's totally not a musical term with a definition going back centuries or anything.

If you have hammers and pulls really good between all your fingers, then sure, you have the technique down. Very few people do though.
Quote by Freepower
Yeah, it's totally not a musical term with a definition going back centuries or anything.

If you have hammers and pulls really good between all your fingers, then sure, you have the technique down. Very few people do though.

It's always a lifelong pursuit.