Hiya I'm considering investing in either buying a used peavey 5150 2 or 6505+ I was told in head format they are pretty much the same. But does the same applies for cabs? Also my friend told me for lead guitar I'd be better off with 5150 or 6505 (one less preamp if I'm correct)but sometimes he likes to argue brcause its detrimental to his health. Anyways as an fyi I'm probablu going to play death metal and hardcore punk stuff (metal as in Nile suffocation type stuff not break metal stuff lol) i you wqnt syggest a better alternative by all means but I think the peavey will get me these tone im looking for
My Gear
Ibanez RG3EX1 with EMG 81/85s, (EB Beefy Slinky Strings)
Alpine White Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Ibanez TS808 Reissue
Boss CS3
Russian Big Muff Pi
TC ELectronics Flashback Delay
5150 II/6505 + are the exact same amp. The 5150 II is made in America, if I remember.

I think the 6505/5150 would be better for you if you are not worried about clean tones.

As for the combo amps, not sure.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Na no clean here lol well I played the combo 6505+ 60w 1 12" it was ermmm idk. It was not like playing the heads not by a long shot. I wad excited about it too but the gain almost sounded muddy. I should also note I'm using ibanez rg3ex1 with emg 81/85s may upgrade to a ibanez 7 string or a prs torero but thats down the road
My Gear
Ibanez TS808 Reissue
Boss CS3
Russian Big Muff Pi
I seem to here that a lot. People preferring the 6505 over the 6505+. Anyways so what about the cabs? Could spmeone recommend something better? Personally I guess I'd like to find something sorta neutral on the bass mid treble level
My Gear
Ibanez TS808 Reissue
Boss CS3
Russian Big Muff Pi
Quote by gravatrax
Na no clean here lol well I played the combo 6505+ 60w 1 12" it was ermmm idk. It was not like playing the heads not by a long shot. I wad excited about it too but the gain almost sounded muddy. I should also note I'm using ibanez rg3ex1 with emg 81/85s may upgrade to a ibanez 7 string or a prs torero but thats down the road

That PRS Torero is a beast guitar, imho.

Anyways, yeah, it will sound muddy since the stock speaker isn't any better than say, a Peavey Valveking.

I mean, there is a reason why the head is two times the price.

If you are lucky, you can pick up a cheap 6505. I got mine, brand spankin' new, for $750usd. But that was cause I knew somebody that knew somebody that knew somebody.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by gravatrax
I seem to here that a lot. People preferring the 6505 over the 6505+. Anyways so what about the cabs? Could someone recommend something better? Personally I guess I'd like to find something sorta neutral on the bass mid treble level

Avatar, Whitebox, Port City, Emperor.

Maybe an used Mesa 2x12.

You really only need a 2x12.

And make sure it has decent speakers.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by gravatrax
Hiya I'm considering investing in either buying a used peavey 5150 2 or 6505+ I was told in head format they are pretty much the same. But does the same applies for cabs? Also my friend told me for lead guitar I'd be better off with 5150 or 6505 (one less preamp if I'm correct)but sometimes he likes to argue brcause its detrimental to his health. Anyways as an fyi I'm probablu going to play death metal and hardcore punk stuff (metal as in Nile suffocation type stuff not break metal stuff lol) i you wqnt syggest a better alternative by all means but I think the peavey will get me these tone im looking for

5150/6505
5150 II/6505+
are the same amps
The 2x12 combos are made in america
The 1x12 combos are made in china

The cabs are probably the same.
You wont want the cabs though your much better off going mesa/orange/avatar/whitebox since the peavey cabs have pretty rubbish speakers. Also why i wouldnt recommend the combos ...
Well I found out that guita center offers shipping on item around the states and there is a no shortage of 5150 and 6505 they usually range from 600-900$ and the warranty stuff is turf same asit would be buying from a local center however i guess yuou do have to take possible taxes and shippint costs in kind too :P
My Gear
Ibanez TS808 Reissue
Boss CS3
Russian Big Muff Pi
I see a lot of used 5150 ii and 6505+ for fair prices but no 5150 or 6505. So what exactly makes the 5150 or 6505 the better Choice
My Gear
Ibanez TS808 Reissue
Boss CS3
Russian Big Muff Pi
Quote by gravatrax
I see a lot of used 5150 ii and 6505+ for fair prices but no 5150 or 6505. So what exactly makes the 5150 or 6505 the better Choice

The rhythm is tighter.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Rythm as in the od channel? I thnk my buddy described the low end on the 6505 being a lot tighter than thary of 6505 . Thanks for the advice guys! Some other alternatives I've considered is a Marshall jcm 2000 dsl 100
My Gear
Ibanez TS808 Reissue
Boss CS3
Russian Big Muff Pi
Quote by gravatrax
Rythm as in the od channel? I thnk my buddy described the low end on the 6505 being a lot tighter than thary of 6505 . Thanks for the advice guys! Some other alternatives I've considered is a Marshall jcm 2000 dsl 100

How can a 6505 be tighter than a 6505?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
How can a 6505 be tighter than a 6505?

With a Tubescreamer on one of them
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
For death metal, definitely a 5150/6505 rather than the II/+. The 5150 cab is probably better than the 6505 cab, but not sure. Any cab with V30's would sound better than either.

DSLs are good amps, but they can't even compare when it comes to brootz.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well the thing is is that I almost want to go for a Cephalic Carnage sound maybe a little heavier though by idk 30% lol. I thought about going for a nile sound but thought idk that's maybe a little heavy . I dont want my sound to be that heavy atleast not all the time
My Gear
Ibanez TS808 Reissue
Boss CS3
Russian Big Muff Pi
Last edited by gravatrax at Jul 5, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
5150/6505
5150 II/6505+
are the same amps
The 2x12 combos are made in america
The 1x12 combos are made in china

The cabs are probably the same.
You wont want the cabs though your much better off going mesa/orange/avatar/whitebox since the peavey cabs have pretty rubbish speakers. Also why i wouldnt recommend the combos ...

This.

Angus knows his shit.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Cephalic Carnage actually used a 5150 on their album Lucid Interval now I think they're using mesas
My Gear
Ibanez TS808 Reissue
Boss CS3
Russian Big Muff Pi
Your friend has it backwards, the 6505+ is better for leads (it's smoother), whereas the 6505 is better for rhythms (tighter and more aggressive). Of course, if you like more aggressive leads, the 6505 would be better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com