My cheap @$$ 15 watt peavey practice amp broke leaving me out of an amp (never use peavey they're aweful quality) So it's time for me to step it up yo a good amp that I could use for maybe small to medium sized gigs, and that I can plug an effect pedal or talk box up to, yeah that amp didn't even have that lol My budget is around 200-250 dollars, and I'm into blues and rock, can you give me some suggestions please? I'm in need of an amp bad, it's render my strat, sg, and occ guitar useless thanks.
Is used an option?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
My cheap @$$ 15 watt peavey practice amp broke leaving me out of an amp (never use peavey they're aweful quality) So it's time for me to step it up yo a good amp that I could use for maybe small to medium sized gigs, and that I can plug an effect pedal or talk box up to, yeah that amp didn't even have that lol My budget is around 200-250 dollars, and I'm into blues and rock, can you give me some suggestions please? I'm in need of an amp bad, it's render my strat, sg, and occ guitar useless thanks.

>Buy Peavey
>Base opinion on lowest end equipment

Dude, never buy Marshalls. I got this MG one time and it sucked so all of their equipment is horrible.

You could try a Blackstar HT-1, Line 6 Spider 4, Roland cube, Peavey Vypyr (Not a bad amp because Peavey is not a bad company)

Maybe a Fender.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Dont get a spider, they sound horrible. Look at the cube 40xl. It has all the things you need.
Roland cube is a safe choice.

The "black panel" setting on the cube 30 gives some nice distortion dynamics for blues the harder you pick; I think they include this for all the settings on higher up models.
Not sure how far you'll get on that budget... but new... maybe a HT5 combo? Used... maybe scour CL for a JCA 20 combo?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by kutless999
Dont get a spider, they sound horrible. Look at the cube 40xl. It has all the things you need.

Spider 4's really aren't that bad. The cleans have vastly improved from the 3. I don't necessarily endorse them or anything but they do what they're supposed to, lots of different sounds on a small budget.

But the cube does that too I suppose.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm not much of a peavey guy, they've have dissatisfied me lol and what about crates, are they any good?
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
I'm not much of a peavey guy, they've have dissatisfied me lol and what about crates, are they any good?

I'm just saying, you can't judge a brand based on their 15w line.

I've heard very mixed things about Crate but have no personal experience. I've heard people who hated them and others who got some good sounds out of them.

I would support getting a Roland.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I recently bought a little Roland Cube Street for around $225 and I've had more fun with it than with any other amp I've bought. It lets you play acoustic or electric and you can even perform vocals through it while you're playing. It's got about 9 different built-in effects and is footswitchable (the footswitch is optional, though), to cut the effects in and out. You can even plug a CD player or mp3 player into it and play along with any band. I would suggest looking for one of these, as it will satisfy almost any need for a long time, while you save the money for your "dream amp."
Never mind the Dawg . . . Beware of Owner!!
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
My cheap @$$ 15 watt peavey practice amp broke leaving me out of an amp (never use peavey they're aweful quality)

GTFO. Have you ever even played a "real" Peavey? They make pretty much the most durable, reliable amps you can buy behind Mesa.

I'd honestly recommend a used ValveKing 112 to you. Does blues/rock great, takes pedals really well (has an FX loop), is loud enough for pretty much any application.

Other alternatives are the VHT Special 6, the Bugera V22, and the Peavey Windsor.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
So much fail!
Never buy a Marshall? Some Marshalls kick arse. Never buy an MG or a VS I could agree with but that statement as it stands is a load of bollocks.
HT-5 is too small for gigs. Sure you can get away with it at a pinch but you will be totally relying on the PA and anybody that's gigged knows that relying totally on foldback often ends in tears. And HT-1?
Spider 4's really are that bad, total junk.
On that budget I'd say Vyper, Cube or Fender Mustang.
If you plan to gig at all with a drummer you want something that you can hear yourself over the drummer. It doesn't have to fill a hall but it certainly is best if you can hear it yourself over the drumkit without resorting to foldback. Never sacrifice your live sound for playing with yourself in the privacy of your bedroom. That means in excess of 20W.
Kitty's suggestion of a used JCA20 is a good one. Really, to get anything of any quality, used is the way for you to go. I actually scored a JCM900 in that pricerange. If you are patient and watch the used market it's surprising what you can pick up. You may be able to score a used Traynor or Valveking or something. Watch Craigslist and Ebay.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 5, 2011,
I'm definitely up for used amps, as long as they aren't severely damaged, and at the right price, anything's better than what I've got which at the moment is nothing.
Quote by Cathbard
So much fail!
Never buy a Marshall? Some Marshalls kick arse. Never buy an MG or a VS I could agree with but that statement as it stands is a load of bollocks.
HT-5 is too small for gigs. Sure you can get away with it at a pinch but you will be totally relying on the PA and anybody that's gigged knows that relying totally on foldback often ends in tears. And HT-1?
Spider 4's really are that bad, total junk.
On that budget I'd say Vyper, Cube or Fender Mustang.
If you plan to gig at all with a drummer you want something that you can hear yourself over the drummer. It doesn't have to fill a hall but it certainly is best if you can hear it yourself over the drumkit without resorting to foldback. Never sacrifice your live sound for playing with yourself in the privacy of your bedroom. That means in excess of 20W.
Kitty's suggestion of a used JCA20 is a good one. Really, to get anything of any quality, used is the way for you to go. I actually scored a JCM900 in that pricerange. If you are patient and watch the used market it's surprising what you can pick up. You may be able to score a used Traynor or Valveking or something. Watch Craigslist and Ebay.
It was a ****ing joke, good God. Learn to identify sarcasm.

He's not going have a hard time finding a new amp that can do medium sized gigs with that price range and he never specified if used was an option. I doubt he's in a band at the moment so I'm sorry if I assume it would be better to recommend a bedroom amp.

And apparently Peavey is out of the question.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jul 5, 2011,
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
I actually am in a band at the moment, we haven't done much, and I've found this marshall thats right at my budget on craigslist, what do you guys think of it? yes or no?
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/2446040101.html

Marshall is a great brand, but don't get an MG. You'd have to work and work to make it sound half decent at least. I really think the Vypyr will change your mind about Peavey. Or get a Roland. If you're in a band, modeling amps give you a lot of options to play with and let you find sounds you like without wasting money on a bunch of pedals you may not use.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
It was a ****ing joke, good God. Learn to identify sarcasm.

He's not going have a hard time finding a new amp that can do medium sized gigs with that price range and he never specified if used was an option. I doubt he's in a band at the moment so I'm sorry if I assume it would be better to recommend a bedroom amp.

And apparently Peavey is out of the question.

Sarcasm doesn't translate well in text unless you add a

I scored a used 100W JCM900 for within that pricerange - in Australia! It is certainly possible to pick up a decent gigging amp if you are patient and watch the used market.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Sarcasm doesn't translate well in text unless you add a

I scored a used 100W JCM900 for within that pricerange - in Australia! It is certainly possible to pick up a decent gigging amp if you are patient and watch the used market.

That's pretty cool dude, I love the deals you find on used things, like my u.s. standard strat came loaded with texas specials for 625 bucks! But I have grown quite fond of the 75 watt vypyr but am not dead set on it, so please keep the suggestions rolling
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar

Based off a practice amp? Really?

That being said you can't go wrong with a Cube or a Vypyr. The Vypyr is probably the best practice amp out their IMO.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Yeah, the cubes are great.
Cath: it was pretty obvious sarcasm especially with the quote.

Are you looking for another practice amp or an actual amp?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Cath: it was pretty obvious sarcasm especially with the quote.

Well, it's 6am here so maybe I'm a bit slow on the uptake atm.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Take another chance with Peavey and get a Valveking. You'll want to replace the speaker at some point but for blues and rock it's hard to get a better gigging amp for that price.