I am going back to college as a sophomore and I will be living in a dorm as an RA (the room all to myself). The first year I only brought my acoustic because I feared that my prized Fender American Deluxe Strat would be stolen or tampered with somehow with my roommate or his friends. Now, since I am going to have my own room, I am building a small "locker" that goes into my closet with an extra lock on it so I will have no worries. However, I don't want to bring my Blues Deluxe down there so I need a new amp. The only question is, should I get a tube or SS amp?

Some pros to having a tube amp is that it will probably have a better tone for the style of music that I play (blues), which is, of course, very important.

However, that also means that I would have to bring my pedal board which includes 4 pedals and a voodoo labs power regulator. All of this equipment costs about 1,000 as all my stuff on it is either custom or boutique. I don't know about bringing that.

On the flip side, if I get a SS amp, I won't need to dump any extra money in for maintaining tubes, I will have a headphone jack that will come in handy, and it will probably have some kind of built in effects.

What do you guys think?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

I'd go with the tube amp since you play blues and it will be harder for someone to steal it. Also, what wattage were you thinking of?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I keep my Deluxe right next to my bed honestly. And the champ under my desk. I don't think you would have any problem bringing your blues deluxe.

That being said, if you just flat out don't want to bring it, I would look into a Roland cube of some sort. They sound pretty damn good and weigh next to nothing.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
i don't know where u are going to college, but i leave my stuff hanging around, and no one has tried to steal it since they know me. If money isn't a concern then take the tube amp, but if you are tight on your budget take a nice SS amp. Dorms are hectic so don't expect to play super crazy loud, unless they all love you because you are the RA lol
Just go tube, you'll be fine. Especially since you're living alone. I had some gear when I was in the dorms and nobody messed with it. You may not be able to play loud or something but at least you'd still have the familiar tone.
as nice as a tube amp is, in a setting like that i would probably say go with a solid state practice amp. i am now a senior in high school and trying to figure out the same thing. you should check out the fender mustang or g-dec. however, idk about ur school but the majority of the schools i have been looking at offer a place that i can lock my instruments and amps in another room. so you could bring ur tube amp and keep it somewhere if you needed something for gigging or playing for crowds (if you have somewhere to store it) and keep the SS modeler in your room. i think the g-dec 3 15w would be ideal for u. its small, has an awesome tone, hundreds of features that can all be accessed either by the front panel of the amp or via fender's FUSE software (free) with which u just connect ur amp to ur computer and u then have the ability to record, play with backing tracks, add more effects... etc. also, the g-dec has an amazing tone. i usuallly hate modeling amps but these fender modelers r the only ones i would consider buying
Lots of dorms and student accommodation have rules and regulations about noise levels. Solid state with headphones solves a lot of potential problems, or you could get a plug-in for your computer that will do pretty much the same thing with more options.
Well you'd be pretty happy with a Champ for just fooling around with. Cheap and cheap on tubes - they only have two. You'll get the Fender tones you are used to in a quieter, more compact format. If you run them into a better speaker cab they sound awesome and are great for recording that way. It's something that you will want to keep beyond college.
Epi valve junior is worth a try too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i recommend solid state, no one wants to hear you play guitar all the time. when i went to uni i got a UX1 and lined out to a 15 watt marshall and that was more than enough. also, +1 to the cube idea.
- in that sort of situation you might even want to think about an interface and modelling software on your computer
- or an amplug if you can find one that sounds right for you

easier to get the tone you want without upsetting anyone with volume then and no need to carry an amp to/from when travelling

e: or actually a 1 watt tube amp would probably be ok for playing in your room but won't be cheap
Last edited by funeralllllllll at Jul 5, 2011,
Try a tube amp with a multi effects pedal.

the ME-70 is around $300 and has a volume pedal so you can lower volume without affecting tone. It's also just one pedal so it's easy to lock up if you want.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

get one of the Vox VT or Fender Vibro Champ XD modeling amps, sure they don't sound as great as a true tube amp but they do sound quite good.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Cathbard
Well you'd be pretty happy with a Champ for just fooling around with. Cheap and cheap on tubes - they only have two. You'll get the Fender tones you are used to in a quieter, more compact format. If you run them into a better speaker cab they sound awesome and are great for recording that way. It's something that you will want to keep beyond college.
Epi valve junior is worth a try too.

This

And then maybe a multi-effects unit. Then you get the best of both worlds.
RIP Adam
Quote by SexyLikeAPig
This

And then maybe a multi-effects unit. Then you get the best of both worlds.

True, I use a silverface champ and a multi effects. Did a whole lot of recording with them my freshman year.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
just get yourself a modeler, Line 6 POD HD or Digitech RP series will do good
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
buy one of the miniture Vox amps, not loud and they're realatively good for their price
roland cube. solid little amp. i actually use a crate mx10. it is without question the best small solid state ive ever come across. HOWEVER, i do not use onboard stuff. i use my pedalboard and an EQ pedal to get th exact tone i want. but overall it has a good tone with some nice little speaker breakup about 10-12 years old at this point. has a ot of use).

as for tubes, well its safe to say im a low wattage, crank the crap out of it kind of guy. however i still find even the smallest tubers too loud for bedroom/dorm use. i mean a 2 watt vox night train is still loud enough to piss everyone off in Guitar center.

I would look into a tube amp that has NO MORE than 5 watts and is variable down to 1 watt or less. there are a handfull of amps around 100-300 bucks that do that.

fender, bugera, think that special 6 amp does, blackheart little ant or something.

i mean i have my amp at about 12 watts on about 3 and my whole house can hear it (and i have a fairly large house 5000-6000 sq feet). not bad, but they can if it is quiet. i really have no idea how people own 100 watt, 4x12 setups.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 5, 2011,
Quote by hr113
just get yourself a modeler, Line 6 POD HD or Digitech RP series will do good

+1

I used to have a crappy 10 watt SS amp for practice when I was in Uni... and at times it could already be too loud. Just get something where you can plug a headphone in.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 5, 2011,
+2 to the pod rec. even though you'll have a room to yourself you dont want to be too loud. Then either get a small tube amp like vox-4 or a small solid state when you want it to be amplified, or maybe some good computer speakers and run it through the usb? i wonder if that would work..
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
+3 to the mfx idea. What would be your budget for a mfx unit? If you can, try to get one of the pod hd series units. They sound great and many people on this forum are getting them. If that's too expensive, the digitech rp series is another great option.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
VHT special 6!!! I always wanted to try one out. Sounds a tad bit bright for my taste, but a badass little amp none-the-less.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by ragingkitty
+1

I used to have a crappy 10 watt SS amp for practice when I was in Uni... and at times it could already be too loud. Just get something where you can plug a headphone in.

i'd go for this.