I like to go online and find songs and learn them for people and teach them how to play it. I guess it just makes me feel good that i was able to learn and show someone else how to play it. does anyone else like doing this?
nah.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
do your friends not have access to the internet and can't learn the songs themselves? just seems like a lot of effort I'd rather use constructively towards my own playing. If I'm jamming with other people usually the extent of teaching each other songs goes something like "the chords are two measures of x, two measures of y, four measures of z"etc. If its going to be something that's going to take time to practice to get down and can't be improvised (different harmonies, leads whatever), we'll usually learn it on our own time before trying to integrate.

if you're talking about teaching beginners, that's fun, but the only people I've taught how to play guitar I've only shown them basic cowboy chords and the fundamentals of the instrument, I've never really taught someone a song.
PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender CD220CE Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 60w
Nah its more like i find a song that i want to learn and learn it and then teach other people how to play it as well for ex. "lighthouse - Love, Robot." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IsB1WWdmqs i learned because i love the song and i noticed that people were asking for it. its not so much teaching friends as it is teaching strangers, id be bored if i taught beginner stuff.
If its something I had already planned on learning then sure I'll help out where I can. But if I have no intrest in that particular song and or style my answer is usually "Hell no". I have enough on my plate, trying to get to where I want to be with the limited time I have. That learning how to play a few random pop songs isn't too high on my list of priorities.
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
i do help people learn stuff before even though it wasnt what i was planning on learning such as awhile back i helped someone on here tab a dubstep song which was complicated but i felt good after i learned i guess i enjoy the satisfaction of putting my mind to something and doing it.
Have you considered teaching music, Steve-e-i-e-i-o?
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by stevosmusic
I like to go online and find songs and learn them for people and teach them how to play it. I guess it just makes me feel good that i was able to learn and show someone else how to play it. does anyone else like doing this?

I like doing it.... for $

and it does make me feel good, but time is short so if I'm not getting paid for it, I'll put that time into learning a song that I like.... and then play it.
shred is gaudy music
Yeah, I can be kind of anti-social with my music. Don't get me wrong, I love performing. It's just that I'm not the type to learn a song JUST for someone else's benefit.

Having said that, I think it's cool that you get enjoyment out of doing so. That's the mark of a teacher and a benevolent person (and maybe a bit of a show-off, but hey, we're musicians. Showing off is what we do!). Keep it up if it brings you enjoyment!
Quote by GuitarMunky
I like doing it.... for $

and it does make me feel good, but time is short so if I'm not getting paid for it, I'll put that time into learning a song that I like.... and then play it.

You know, sometimes, just sometimes in life, people do things for reasons other then making themselves happy or richer. Sometimes.
Quote by stevosmusic

If you like teaching that's awesome.

I like learning songs for other people, the audience. I learn lots of songs in cover bands and they give me lots of money and opportunities to make babies with them.

And I'm totally down with the "doing it for the $" thing. You'll never relate until you move out of home, play some dingy pub that takes out your Saturday night to a room of 2 people, whom get into a fight half way through "It's a Long Way to the Top" and they both get kicked out. You pack all your gear into your car at 1.30am and manage to scratch the paint job putting the cab into the boot. You think to yourself "why did I just do that?". Then the drummer who books all the gigs gives you $100. Oh! You say. That's why!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by ElConky
You know, sometimes, just sometimes in life, people do things for reasons other then making themselves happy or richer. Sometimes.

I did not know that.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by ElConky

Impossible! The fools!

OT:

I do sometimes. There are other days when I want nothing to do with anyone else, and just want to play for myself.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I absolutely enjoy it, and I've been lucky enough to become employed as a teacher as a bonus on top of that.
Even without the money, teaching somebody how to play guitar - or how to do anything - demands that you completely understand your trade to the extent that vocalizing and describing it is second-nature, which can be a substantial test of your own comprehension of, in this case, the finer details of playing guitar effectively and efficiently.

I can honestly say that I feel I've learned more directly through my teaching of others than being taught myself.
Last edited by juckfush at Jul 6, 2011,
Nah i dont do it for money! i do it cause i love music and i guess i like to to share it with other people i mean im only 16 although money would be nice its not a necessity and i have considered being a music teacher i might just end up doing that later in life!
Your talking about deciphering an encrypted piece of music to show someone else. No way it takes to much work to learn a song to just teach someone in one day.

Thats like the bad guy using indiana jones to find the treasure because he cant do it his self.

lol I joke I joke
Quote by stevosmusic

No, I really don't. I think the world is basically full of self centered people with a false sense of entitlements and expectations, such that other's labors and efforts are worth little to them, and more "expected". People become consumables, and so many tend to take, but there's little give in return. That's the problem.

Would that same person that receives something that's the fruit of someone elses' labor time effort training and energy, be willing to do the same with their time labor effort and energy for a stranger? Or, would they consider it beneath them?

I think that it's great if you're doing that, but I just have trouble reconciling throwing pearls to swine. I think the best way is to inspire others who then go out and inspire others. I'd rather teach to fish than give out fish.

I'd rather teach someone else to walk on their own and make their own way in the world, by expending a little initiative, than propping them up and just doing their work for them.

Best,

Sean
Quote by stevosmusic

Helping people is natural and good thing. It can be in any example as it is in guitar lessons and songs. This is ok