I just got a Laney Cub head and cab loaded with two Celestion Rocket 50s and wonder if they are worth swapping out for some Eminence speakers (easy to find in my area).

Anybody have experience with these speakers that can give opinions. I've heard they aren't the best but can't really tell cause I've only tried the amp through this cab so there's no comparison. The amp itself rocks I think.
eminences (depending on the model) are pretty good speakers. I've only tried very few, but a lot of them are pretty well-regarded.

which ones are you looking at? Or do you have access to the whole range? What type of tones are you after?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well. they make a HUGE selection of speakers and all dont sound like you want. i mean all are good quality but all have different sounds. you need to pick a modle you like. thats teh key.

i also recommend WGS speakers. USA made, cheap (well the way it should be. not 150-200 a darn speaker when they are STILL MADE IN CHINA. cough celestion cough). oh yeah and they sound good. have a decent selection of models for most kinds of music.

actually, last time i was on their site, they added about 2-3 new speakers. similar sounding speakers but with different power ratings for more diverse setup types.

AND - they have a blog with video comparisons to celestions so you can actually hear how goo they are.
Thanks guys, but actually I was asking for opinions on the Celestion Rocket 50 speaker that comes in my original cab and if it's worth changing. I've only tried the amp head through that and to my ear it sounds good. But I've heard they aren't the best so I imagine I can make my amp sound even better with others.
Where you live would help people make recommendations too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Rocket 50s are among Celestion's budget speakers... they're not super terrible, but there's lots of nicer stuff. Assuming you want to use the amp for the music it was designed for (blues, classic rock), there's a lot of different Emi speakers that might work for you. A cheap and nice option is the Legend GB128.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jul 5, 2011,
^ yeah the gb128 seems to be very well-regarded and pretty cheap too, though i haven't tried it.

it'd be worth shooting eminence an email too, in my experience they were very keen to talk tone and get into the intricacies of speaker tone and what speakers worked well for particular tones. they're not going to tell you their speakers are bad, obviously, but if you have already decided to go for eminence they'll steer you towards the best eminence for the tones you want, kind of thing. As ikey_ says, just because a speaker is "good" doesn't necessarily mean it'll do the tones you want, choosing the right model is at least as important as choosing the right brand.

I haven't tried them but wgs are probably worth a look too if you're in the US.

and yeah, i mean the rocket 50 would probably be worth upgrading, as quailman says. I'm not sure if i've tried it, but the 70/80 (which is another budget celestion) isn't too great. I just assumed that was implied in my post, lol, sorry for not being a bit clearer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?