Page 1 of 3
LATE SUBMISSIONS ARE NOT A PROBLEM

WELCOME TO THE "CROOKED" COVER CONTEST SING-UP/DISCUSSION THREAD!

Scroll down for a tl;dr

What is a crooked cover, you ask?

By "crooked", I'm basically saying the point is to cover a song in a totally different manner than it was originally recorded. For example, taking a Necrophagist song (technical death metal) and covering it Bossa Nova style I would consider a "crooked" cover. For some pretty cool examples, check out Andy Rehfeldt's smooth jazz styled Enter Sandman, Iron Horse's bluegrass cover of the same song, or Sunn O)))'s drone version of For Whom the Bell Tolls..

So how far, or how short, can I take it? What is allowed, and what isn't?

Since it is a cover contest, you must keep in mind the song should sound pretty similar to the cover in at least enough to make the connection. However, if the song is completely unrecognizable, I won't throw you in the can, but you probably won't win either.

When you are creating your cover, consider things such as key, tempo, chord progressions, etc. Also, you are allowed to make slight changes to the general progression of the song, such as removing a chorus, adding a bridge, etc. but the progression as a whole must remain mostly intact. In other words, don't write a new song and claim it's a cover.

Do keep in mind that major changes to guitar riffs, bass riffs, and drum parts are allowed, but in accordance to the desired genre. A blast beat from a metal song would not fit in a typical jazz piece, nor would the fast-picking bass line. A swing beat and a walking bass line would be much more fitting, but do remember it will have to song like the actual song for it to progress in the competition.

If you are doing an electronic-genre cover, sampling is allowed. Simple mashups, however, are not allowed. They must be a full on electronic cover. Backing tracks will also be allowed in some cases, such as a basic drum beat, but not drums for the entire song ripped from the song itself.

Do make sure, of course, it is recorded in a quality-conscious manner.

What about vocals?

Vocals are optional. If you can rip the vocals from the track, find them by themself online, or if you choose to sing/scream/moan the vocals yourself to fit for the genre, or replace the vocals with an instrumental melody, it's all alright.

So I want to cover [insert song here] and I'm super excited!

Sweet! Despite my original plan, I've now decided there is a third category of entrants allowing for any song to be chosen. However, there are two other categories to compete against others covering a specific song. While you can cover any song you like, please consider the other categories as well.

How will this be judged?

Each category of cover will be put in a poll, and the winners from each poll will go head-to-head.

Can I collaborate?

Collaborations are allowed, yes, but you can only make one contribution/individual submission per song. You cannot collaborate to make more than one separate cover of the same song, but you can collaborate with different people for the second or third song.

Can I submit a cover for each category?

YES! Please! You can throw an entry in each category if you'd like, or just one if you're not up for the challenge.

What are the requirements when submitting?

Entrants are asked to submit via Soundcloud, Bandcamp or another basic audio uploading site for easy listening rather than a direct download. Video websites like YouTube are also allowed.

Each entry must be original and must be written and recorded within the time frame of the competition.

TL;DR

YOU WILL BE COVERING: Ozzy Osbourne's Crazy Train
Highest rated tabs of the song:
Text tab #1
Text tab #2
Bass tab
Guitar Pro tab
Powertab Tab
Drum Tab

AND/OR YOU WILL BE COVERING: Daft Punk's Around the World
Highest rated tabs of the song:
Text
Bass
Guitar Pro
Powertab

AND/OR A SONG OF YOUR CHOICE!

REMEMBER YOU CAN COVER ONE SONG, OR YOU CAN COVER BOTH, OR COVER BOTH AND YOUR OWN!

WHAT YOU ARE REQUIRED TO DO
•Cover the song(s) in a different genre (heavier or lighter, jazz, country, gorecore, ambient, electronic, anything is allowed)
•Covers must be written and recorded within the time allotted
•Submit a quality recording via YouTube, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, or another easily accessed website for our listening pleasure and PM IT DIRECTLY TO ME. POSTED SUBMISSIONS IN THIS THREAD WILL MOST LIKELY BE IGNORED.

WHAT YOU CAN CHANGE
•Basic song structures (removing a bridge, verse, etc.)
•Key (major to minor is cool too)
•Tempo
•Genre (duh)
•Drum beats, bass lines, riffs, etc to fit the genre
•Guitar solos (again, fitting the genre is important)
•Many other things

WHAT YOU CANT CHANGE
•Major song structures (removing three verses and rewriting the chorus completely, etc)
•Lyrics
•Major parts of melodies (slight changes due to varying genres is okay, but not a whole new melody)
•Simple mashups are not allowed

WHAT IS OPTIONAL
•Sampling (ONLY ALLOWED FOR ELECTRONIC MIXES)
•Backing tracks(DO NOT USE ENTIRE SONG BACKING TRACKS, USE BASIC DRUM PATTERNS)
•Vocals (A instrumental melody replacement would be okay)
•Collaboration

THE DEADLINE FOR SIGN-UP AND SUBMISSION IS AUGUST 6TH @ 11:59 PM GMT
You can find a GMT clock here.
This time is also 6:59 PM in the EST time zone.

THERE IS NO DEADLINE FOR SIGNUPS! THERE IS NO LIMIT TO THE NUMBER OF ENTRANTS!
If you just found this thread and want to make a submission 5 minutes before the deadline, be my guest. I really don't care if you sign up later on as long as you submit something.

List last updated: 07/20/11 01:10 EST

CRAZY TRAIN CATEGORY ENTRANTS:
1. fearofthemark
2. valennic
3. madbasslover
4. sadSTATUE
5. muffinduck01
6. sampy
7. TheZephyrSon
8. Ziphoblat
9. Rojam

AROUND THE WORLD CATEGORY ENTRANTS:
1. fearofthemark
2. TheReverend724
3. Rojam

OPEN CATEGORY ENTRANTS:
1. theogonia777
2. genghisgandhi
3. madbasslover
4. sadSTATUE
5. muffinduck01
6. im not mental
7. entity0009
8. blake1221
9. FrauVfromPoB
10. TheZephyrSon
11. TheReverend724
12. RPGoof
13. Rojam
14. Shinami
15. buzz
16. Alkaline 64
Last edited by RPGoof at Aug 7, 2011,
Lemme In. Not sure which one i'll do, but put me in for both
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

i would have totally done this if we could do whatever song we wanted. too bad.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
There were people on both sides of the argument on whether or not the song should be a choice or a requirement, so depending on how successful this contest is, I may hold another one with a more open song choice, but I just figured it would be a lot easier to judge if everyone does the same song or two.
Maybe add a third category for people to choose their own songs?
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by RPGoof
...can't believe that didn't cross my mind. I'll throw you in that category then, theogonia777

cool
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
If my gear wasn't currently being shipped to England, I would totally do this greaat thread!

OH please add this link to the thread too. This video makes me laugh and mock my sister

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-TtqW1IE5Y&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Last edited by bluekirby7 at Jul 5, 2011,
Quote by genghisgandhi
August 6th?!?

The deadline should be like two weeks from now. And there shouldn't be judges, it should be a poll that decides the winner.

I'm giving it a month because I've seen so many competitions around here fall short because of lack of time given to complete the given task, and have the thread move around so more people are exposed. I may bump it up a week though to July 31st.

And the only reason I'm doing judges is if we have too many submissions to fit in the polls, so we can dwindle the submissions we get. If there are a good amount of submissions but not too many, I won't even use the judges.
Sign my ass up for Crazy Train. I have interesting ideas for it.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Primus2112
Can I enter one I already did before I found out about the contest?

If so, http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Primus2112/music/all/play1019041

It's the first couple of minutes of Agalloch's "Limbs" covered in a fast punk-ish kind of style

I'd prefer the covers to be done within the time alotted.

Quote by turncoat60%
is there a deadline to sign up?

Nope, you can sign up ten minutes before the submission deadline if you prefer.

List updated.
Last edited by RPGoof at Jul 5, 2011,
Crazy Train and open category please.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Quote by RPGoof
I'd prefer the covers to be done within the time alotted.

Nevermind then...
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
As cool as it is, it's not exactly fair that you'd have all the time in the world to create a cool cover, while everyone else didn't. Sorry man
well, thanks for listening anyway
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Sign me up for Crazy Train and the open category. Currently thinking Orion, but that may change. We'll see.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Oh jesus ass yes, I've been waiting for one of these for so long. Sign me up for the open category.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by im not mental
QUESTION: are medleys allowed? if they are, sign me up for the open category.

As long as the songs in the medley aren't carbon copies (ala Weird Al's polka medleys)
are samples allowed for hip hop entries? (i should note i'm using multiple samples, including ones from songs i'm not covering)
Go Veg.
Last edited by im not mental at Jul 7, 2011,
i'm gonna do the most depressing cover ever of the most depressing song ever.

there will be mass suicides.
Quote by theogonia777
i'm gonna do the most depressing cover ever of the most depressing song ever.

there will be mass suicides.

A challenger appears!
🙈 🙉 🙊
I just moved into my dorm a few days ago and classes start tomorrow, but if I have time, I'm definitely doing a folk/jazz/swing/idk what cover of some Arch Enemy song. Maybe a ballad?
Page 1 of 3