So I'm looking at selling my Takamine EG523SC. It is signed by Tommy Emmanuel. Sentimentally, it doesn't mean too much to me to be honest. It's an alright guitar but I very rarely play it. Since I got my Gibson Les Paul, I've just been using that all the time. So it's like riding in a Rolls Royce then getting into a Reliant Robin.

I've met Tommy Emmanuel twice now and I'm sure we'll probably cross paths again so I'm not too worried about the possibility of losing a piece of history or whatever you wanna call it.

If I did sell it, the money will be going towards a second electric guitar.

What shall I do?
keep it for now, the longer you leave it, the more it's worth
also, you probably would regret selling it on if he died or if you did meet him again
Do you have a certificate of authenticity?

And where is the guitar signed? You have to remember...unless the person is a big Tommy fan, the signature might be a turn off...

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by roamingbard13
Do you have a certificate of authenticity?

And where is the guitar signed? You have to remember...unless the person is a big Tommy fan, the signature might be a turn off...

It's signed right above where the neck joins the body. It's not like it's an amazing guitar, it's only £350 worth so the signature is only gunna do it good I think.

And I don't have a COA because I watched him sign it in front of me. I'm the only person that's ever owned this guitar.
^ I figured, but a buyer who is buying it for the the signature would probably be interested in having proof it was authentic.

I think the signature is probably less valuable than you think, and I would honestly just hold on to it. It's probably more meaningful to you then it would be to someone else.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by roamingbard13
^ I figured, but a buyer who is buying it for the the signature would probably be interested in having proof it was authentic.

I think the signature is probably less valuable than you think, and I would honestly just hold on to it. It's probably more meaningful to you then it would be to someone else.

Well, if it did come to me selling it, I have photos of me and Tommy, plus a video of him signing my guitar, with me in the picture?
What is your question here? Are you asking what the guitar is worth?

My guess is that the guitar is worth basically the same as it would be if it was unsigned. The difference is that by having it signed, you eliminated 99.9% of the market for the guitar. You should still be able to find somebody to buy it (via eBay would be the easiest imo), but you are not going to get more than what the model is worth on it's own. If you happen to find just the right Tommy Emmanuel fan who also just so happens to want that exact model of guitar, you might get like $10-$20 more than the value of the guitar alone, but I wouldn't count on it.

People never seem to realize that the only way a signature really substantially improves the value of a guitar is if it is a nice guitar in the first place and if the person that signs it is a really, really famous guitarist. Niche fame (like Tommy Emmanuel) doesn't count. I'm talking about having something like an American Fender Strat signed by Eric Clapton.

There just isn't a serious market out there for collecting mildly famous people's signatures. Sure people collect them, but they don't pay very much for them.
tommy emmanuel is a lot better known than jimtaka might be aware, but the people who might want to own a guitar he signed would probably rather it was a high quality guitar or a maton.

next time you have someone sign something, have someone take a pic of you and the person, either standing with you holding the guitar or actually doing the signing.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
tommy emmanuel is a lot better known than jimtaka might be aware, but the people who might want to own a guitar he signed would probably rather it was a high quality guitar or a maton.

next time you have someone sign something, have someone take a pic of you and the person, either standing with you holding the guitar or actually doing the signing.

I am quite aware of who Tommy Emmanuel is and his relative level of fame. Don't overestimate it. I love him as an artist as well, but that doesn't change the facts.

Also, he mentioned in a later post that he has photo and video evidence of Tommy Emmanuel signing the guitar.