I've been on this song for weeks now and the intro just isn't coming. I'm stuck at about 50% of the speed it's supposed to be played at. The song is Lake Bodom by Children of Bodom and it's just so frustrating. Any tips?
Stop trying to get faster and start trying to play better; you can't make yourself faster just by trying harder.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Play it at 25% of the speed it's supposed to be at and then work up slowly, don't just try to play as fast as you can worry more about the notes and the fingerings, and practice a lot and slow. You will build up strength and muscle memorry and you should be playing it perfectly after a while
As with anything, when you hit a plateau and no matter how hard you work, you do not improve, move on to something else, and come back later. maybe a few weeks, maybe a few months, maybe a few years!

There have been many times I have worked incredibly hard at a solo, but there were a few very fast licks in the middle that I could NEVER get. Eventually I moved on to other things and forgot all about the solo. A few years later, I would remember the solo and give it a shot, and the licks would seem like a breeze.

Your speed will naturally increase as your overall technique improves, over time.

When you are frustrated or have a mental block, your time will be best spent moving on to something else!!
Love the world, and it will love you back.

Aaron Chase
B.M. Berklee College of Music 2008
Songwriting and Guitar Performance
aaronchasemusic.com
Can you play other stuff at the target speed for this song? Figure out what's holding you back, and drill it.

If you just can't play that fast yet, years more practice are in order.
If its just speed that's holding you back then do chromatic type exercises repeatedly to boost your speed. After years of playing I found that my raw speed had plateaued and had never really done speed exercises before. Once I started doing them my speed started to come.

Unless you're super talented I don't think one can get very fast without doing exercises.
Last edited by Mjollnirswrath at Jul 6, 2011,
Quote by Mjollnirswrath
If its just speed that's holding you back then do chromatic type exercises repeatedly to boost your speed. After years of playing I found that my raw speed had plateaued and had never really done speed exercises before. Once I started doing them my speed started to come.

Unless you're super talented I don't think one can get very fast without doing exercises.

No, don't do that - it's a waste of time. Focus your energies on practicing something useful and constructive.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Whenever i practice something that is difficult to get up to speed i turn of the metronome and play the fastest tempo i can play perfectly, if i do that for a couple of days it´ll get easier and if i continue doing it i will in about a week (2 depending on what it is) play it at full speed.

I use a metronome when starting up, then play without one when i hit one of these walls, then go back to one and repeat.

As said, don´t focus on speed. Focus on playing it cleanly.

Try it and see if it works for you, it sure did when i was learning lake bodom.