Ok to keep this short n sweet, tomorrow I'm getting a Blackstar HT-100 Head (before the 100W neigh sayers arrive it's easier for me to have a head to take to rehersals etc) but I'm torn on whether or not to get a 2x12 or 4x12 cab to go with it.

I'd prefere a 4x12, however I'm all too aware of the effects of putting a good head through terrible speakers so don't want to just get a cheap 4x12. I'd rather a 2x12 with good speakers than that however I'm torn as to whether or not I should get the 2x12 (£167 Harley benton from thomann with Vintage 30's) which I can just about afford at the mo and therefore should have myself a full amp sooner, or save for what could be another 2 months to go for the 4x12 (about £300, same speakers/company, same place).

So if UG would be so kind as to assist in this matter I'd be hugely grateful.

p.s. I've looked used but no-one seems to want to ship anything and I don't drive so can't pick stuff up, hence resorting to buying new.

EDIT: actually I may have been completely stupid here, 2 vintage 30's (30watt speakers) taking a 100watt head, probs wouldn't work would it lol. Failing that I'd go for 2 G12T-75's.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Last edited by SurfinWithSatch at Jul 5, 2011,
Vintage 30's are 60w each. So you should be fine. Look at the cabs power rating. It should be 120w or 60w on how it's wired I think.
i'd go with the 2x12 myself. the 2x12 will be rated at 120 watts in wired in either series or parallel, and that should be just fine for your purposes TS.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Yeah I just looked again and noticed it says "120watts/8ohm". I've just found a used 2x12 vintage 30 harley benton near me for £100 so if the guy hasn't sold it I'll try and get that.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Something to keep in mind is that a cranked 100w head will blow a 120w rated cab
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
Something to keep in mind is that a cranked 100w head will blow a 120w rated cab

no it won't.

i am aware tube heads can make more power than their rated output, but guitar speaker cabs can handle it just fine. this is a common misconception though.

i used my sunn 1200S (rated very conservatively at 120 watts, but i think it was more like 150) with my ppc212 (also rated at 120 watts) for quite some time with no negative effects. but i will admit running a head at full volume capacity with distortion with such a cab may overstress the speaker a bit but it is still something i don't worry about.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I prefer 4x12 mainly because it lifts the head up to an easy to reach height. They might be more hassle to move around but they are less hassle where it counts - on stage.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well I can't see me ever turning the amp up to 10 anyway, I used to have a JCM900 4102 and I think the most I turned that up was to about 8 on the half power setting. Well what I'm probably gonna do then is get the 2x12 for now, save up for a 4x12 then once I've got that I'm sure I'll be getting GAS again so I'll probably be fancying another head (lower wattage) which I could then run through the 2x12........so yeah. Cheers guys, think I've sussed things, thanks for clearing up the wattage on the vintage 30's for me aswell!
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Mod that sucka.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Had my JCM900 4102 modded (think I remember talking to you about it ages ago actually) but this time around I'm going for an amp where I like the tone enough not to have to mod it, hence the Blackstar. I'll probably end up getting like an Orange Rocker 30 head to run through the 2x12, love the orange. Or a JCM800. Or a Peavey Classic 30. DAMN GAS!!!!
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15