So my bass is due for new strings, and by that I mean im startin to snap a few :P (its been like a year since my last set).

Anyways Ive always been a rounds guy, Ive played mostly Ddarrio and Rotosounds but I was playin a friends bass who had flats and I dug the tone.

I play mostly Prog, Metal and Jazz. So like a lot of Opeth, Cynic, Atheist stuff like that. The tone I dig is kinda like Tony Choy, Alex Webster, or Steve Harris a little click but still some support in the sound. I also do some shred now and again.

So is flats a good idea for my position? or should I stick with rounds?
Also if I get flats, whats a good brand?
Alex Webster uses DR Strings Hi-Beams in 55-125 and 50-130.

Steve Harris uses his signature set of Roto flats.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
youre a dumb dumb. use yer eyes, google and the searchbar in here. i hate you. indefinitely.

anyways, flatwounds sound more like an upright. so think p-bass i guess. i like flats because i play fretless, theyre less aggressive on the fingerboard wood. also, i like how thick they sound, not bright and trebley.

[/thread]
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Flats are cool, man. They give a much more mellow tone, not bright at all. Unless you get half-round or groundwound strings. The tone is thick, but it may not cut through well if played distorted or in a high-gain mix.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
I have posted this before, but I'm gonna post it again

With flats (got em on my P bass and my Ibanez GSR100) you'll notice

1) loss of highs, almost dull sounding
2) More percussive tone
3) Smoother feel
4) Less wear on frets
5) You will cut through a mix a lot easier (If you play with others that is)
6) Flats don't wear out like round wounds do (get that dark nappy stuff on them)
7) Flats get better with age
8) less string noise
9) Softer feeling then rounds. (at least to me)
10) Easier on your fingers then rounds
11) You can achieve a lower action with flats
and my favorite
12) You never have to change flats, let them age and you'll never want to

I personally think my P bass has a bit more growl with flats then she ever had with round wounds.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Jul 6, 2011,
I have Rotosound 77's on my Fender P/J and I couldn't be happier... they are one of the brighter flats I have ever played you may want to hit up youtube and give them a listen.
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
why when someone answers the question that's been repeated 100 times and even says close thread, do we have to step on each others toes and say the same g0d d4mn thing 5 times.
Play with rounds. Too bright? Turn the tone down. I use nylon flats only on my fretless.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Quote by askrere
why when someone answers the question that's been repeated 100 times and even says close thread, do we have to step on each others toes and say the same g0d d4mn thing 5 times.

That would require effort... not to mention using a search bar is pretty freaking tough.
Quote by MetlHed94

Quote by TheMooseKnuckle
That would require effort... not to mention using a search bar is pretty freaking tough.

I don't mean the asker of the question, but the answerers, we hate this kind of thread, yet 9 people each have to give the same facts on flats, along with an opinion on how they felt about them "They either loved them, or hated them, or felt they were ok" -mitch hedberg
Quote by askrere
I don't mean the asker of the question, but the answerers, we hate this kind of thread, yet 9 people each have to give the same facts on flats, along with an opinion on how they felt about them "They either loved them, or hated them, or felt they were ok" -mitch hedberg

You hate these threads... saying "we" hate them, doesnt really work seeing as thats your personal opinion and you don't speak for the entire site. And if you type "flats" in the search bar, you get 200+ results... not to be a arse but I think its a fair assumption that the OP hasn't attempted that yet. Because I'm pretty sure one of those 200 threads will have the information he was looking for.

As for this thread the OP specifically asked for opinions and any brands anyone would recommend.

Alucard817 gave his opinion on flats in general, dark Mass and myself recommended brands we each use and like "Roto 77's for the win ", which is what the OP specifically asked for. smb gave the OP one of the biggest cons of switching to flats the price. bassman10101 let him know that it does less damage to fretless basses. Infact comparied to most threads this one has almost no repeats in information given.

So where exactly is you issue here bud!?
Quote by MetlHed94

Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Jul 7, 2011,
You could also check out some half-wounds. Got some on my P-bass, very nice.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
You could also check out some half-wounds. Got some on my P-bass, very nice.

+1

They are pricy as hell, but the best of both worlds

OP, these strings are a cross between round and flats. This explains what they are, incase your intrested in checking them out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strings_(music)
Quote by MetlHed94

Quote by TheMooseKnuckle
+1

They are pricy as hell, but the best of both worlds

Rotosound 55s are the same price as most of their strings, i.e. cheap.

Everyone needs to try flats at least once however there's at least as much variety in flats as there is in rounds. Pyramid Golds sound like rubber bands, Rotosound 77s are the standard but if find them a bit stiff; Thomastik Infelds are like sex if it were made from Nickel, ask anyone who's used them; I hear nothing but praise for D'addario Chrome flats and I can't wait to slap a set of Roto 88s (Nylon wound) onto my acoustic bass.
Quote by Spaz91
Everyone needs to try flats at least once however there's at least as much variety in flats as there is in rounds. Pyramid Golds sound like rubber bands, Rotosound 77s are the standard but if find them a bit stiff; Thomastik Infelds are like sex if it were made from Nickel, ask anyone who's used them; I hear nothing but praise for D'addario Chrome flats and I can't wait to slap a set of Roto 88s (Nylon wound) onto my acoustic bass.

Any thoughts on GHS "Bright Flats"? I hear mixed reviews about them.
Quote by MetlHed94

Quote by Spaz91
GHS strings.

Ben Kenney uses them...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I use GHS precision flats and i friggin love them, they get thump right out of the package, a little bright for my taste, so I can't wait for them to age. Once they do age though, it's absolutely gorgeous.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.