Alright, this is my first post on this site, but I have used it for a good amount of time. I have a question, and I hope that it can be answered relatively soon.

What is better? Bare in mind I might be playing some smaller shows in the near future.

A peavey vypyr 100 watt amp for $275

or a peavey transtube amp head with a 120 watt marshall mg412 cab for $300

Thanks,

Pete
Don't get the vypyr its tinny sounding. I would only buy the tube version, however idk if peavey's transtube stuff is even any good.
Quote by PetetheIII
Alright, this is my first post on this site, but I have used it for a good amount of time. I have a question, and I hope that it can be answered relatively soon.

What is better? Bare in mind I might be playing some smaller shows in the near future.

A peavey vypyr 100 watt amp for $275

or a peavey transtube amp head with a 120 watt marshall mg412 cab for $300

Thanks,

Pete

Do you need modelling? If not, I'd always try to go tube for public performing of any type. Better sound at least. But do you have pedals (if needed)? If not, maybe a modeller is the way to go. And the Peavey tube with cab sounds like a lot better deal to me.
The Peavey Transtubes are really not great.. Especially paired with that god awful MG cab.

Vypyrs are sweet, go with the Vyper.

But, what are playing, specifically, what's your budget, where do you live, what's your current gear, etc, etc...
I play anything from 90s rock like Bush to Megadeth. I've got a 7 string ibanez, and a fender telecaster, and I'm not looking to spend too much over $300 and maybe I'd go a little bit higher, I also live near boston
Last edited by PetetheIII at Jul 5, 2011,
Ah, well then modelling might actually help you out if you're going to be playing a wide variety of genres.

You'll get very usable tones out of the Vypyr. I'll look on your local CL for any deals that might be floating around.
Vypyrs get awesome metal tone. if you could possibly find a tube 60 combo in your budget that would be very ideal...

I can't seem to find any on CL.
What about the peavey transtube surpreme head with a Marshall Mc4x12B ?

I also have the option of a randall 200 watt cab for $100...

I could also pick up a ibanez mimx 150h head with that cab for $250 combined..
I actually a pretty big fan of the transtube line and I absolutely hate the Vyper. It's like playing through a computer. That being said, nothing is going to sound good through either of those cabs. If you're looking along those lines, I would say look at the Bandit (I think it's 65 watts)- more than enough for some small shows, takes pedals well and is easily portable. Plus, IIRC it has an extension jack so you could run it to a cab.
Quote by PetetheIII
What about the peavey transtube surpreme head with a Marshall Mc4x12B ?

I also have the option of a randall 200 watt cab for $100...

I could also pick up a ibanez mimx 150h head with that cab for $250 combined..

You will not be happy with a transtube. Or any of those terrible cabs.
Also wouldn't I need to spend another 100 for a basic sanpera pedal to make the vypyr worthwhile?

What if I bought a MARSHALL MG100HDFX for 200 and used the randall cab? It'd run me about 315
Avoid Marshall Mg's Like The Plague!!!
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Quote by PetetheIII
Dime played a randall though, so how bad could it be?

.. Not sure if serious.

Possible troll thread is possible troll?
Quote by PetetheIII
He did? As far as I know

Yes. But that doesn't mean you'll be pulling out the same tone just because your amp is branded with the name "Randall"

P.S. Dimebag's tone was harsh and tinny. I wouldn't want to emulate it, personally...
Quote by Wisthekiller
See if you can find a used Peavey Windsor. They're only around $400 new, so it should be in your budget.

How is the distortion on them?
Quote by PetetheIII
How is the distortion on them?

Didn't see the new post, sorry! It's similar to a JCM800 in terms of distortion from what I've heard from other people, but I've never compared the two side by side. The distortion sounds GREAT though, and the cleans are ok, although not the best.
Is this a good deal? A marshall 4x12 slant cab vintage version (brown grill) and the speakers are g12s, the v30s were removed I guess. Its a 1960a. Is it worth it for $200? When I can get a randall cab for 100?