Bad Thing-I preferred a childhood
32 46%
This thread makes me want Ramen
21 30%
Voters: 70.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIx48a9bXUQ&feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaDea5spQTc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfdc5FR3zs8&feature=related

So there seems to be a plethora or Asian kid prodigies on the internet. What is your opinion on this? Do you think it is cruel to force a child to play for 6 hours a day on piano or whatever (it would be very unlikely a kid would choose to do this on their own).

Or do you think us caucasians are just too lazy? Do you wish your parents had started your musical training earlier?
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Jul 5, 2011,
I remember there being a similarly young girl furiously playing Chopin.

I also wish my parents made me play piano at a young age.
"us caucasians"?
"Prodigy's"?
"prodigy's"? (again?!)

Yes, apparently we caucasians are too lazy.
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Yes, it's just one song in particular, theres no shredding or fast solos.
It is a mellow, instrumental, clean, song.
I wouldn't really call it a prodigy of the kids are forced to play said instrument 12 hours a day or they get time out and no rice for a week.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
They're prodigies, without a doubt. You cannot get that good from just hard work alone, you really do have to have some of it in you when your born.

The incredible thing is that when they get older and mature, they learn to really love the music, and since they've already got the best technique ever from when they were young, they can focus on making the most 'emotional', beautiful pieces they can.

/jealous

Also, about the 6 hours a day thing, I didn't choose to go to school when I was a kid. My parents forced me to. Granted, an education and playing piano are different, but these kids are being raised to be world famous musicians, not engineers.
Last edited by Baby Joel at Jul 5, 2011,
Frankly, if I was forced to play piano for 12 hours a day, I'd be very skilled at both emotional and technical playing. Some of them may be true prodigies, most just have practiced hours a day for years on end. I'm quite sure I'd not want to put my child through that. I wonder if these kids even got to be kids...

Edit:
Plus, on a different note, they don't seem to be playing as if they love the pieces. They're merely children who've learned to play exactly as they've been taught.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 5, 2011,
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I wouldn't really call it a prodigy of the kids are forced to play said instrument 12 hours a day or they get time out and no rice for a week.

Ramen.

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

A prodigy is not a child that practices 6 hours a day and kicks as at 10 years old. A prodigy is a child that practices a half hour a day and kicks ass at 10 years old.
Check out my band Disturbed
This thread is so stereotypically incorrect. I've lived overseas for a total of 6 years, 3 in asia. While there are some Asians that are encouraged by there parents to play, majority started music young because they had an interest in it. In korea I knew plenty of kids who's parents actually didn't want them to participate in music, yet they had incredible talent.
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
I was forced to play piano as a child and I hated it every single second of it, dreading going to the lessons.

With that said, I wish I was 'forced' from a younger age, but with a better teacher. Kids learn very fast, and as Baby Joel said, the technique level will be perfected, and the issue of 'feeling' will be sorted as they grow older.

Besides, where's the proof that these kids have been forced to practice for 6 hours? Mozart was a child prodigy, was he forced to practice and have no childhood? If that's the case, I'd rather have that instead of a childhood.
Isn't it a pity?
Now, isn't it a shame?
How we break each other's hearts,
And cause each other pain...

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
I still can't get over the fact that you used 'prodigy's' in place of 'prodigies.'

God damn.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
They can play all the classical garbage they want, I write better music than they ever will and I'm sure lots of you do as well.
sunbather is shit
None of these children are 'prodigies', they've just been programmed to mechanically copy things like trained seals. It's a case of ****ed up parents trying to live vicariously through their children.
No doubt these kids practice for hours on end everyday. Kinda crazy. I don't even think I remember when I was 4, much less knowing how to play any instrument at a professional level.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
My little sister can metal growl and she is 2, I think I know which I think is cooler

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by beefcake122
They can play all the classical garbage they want, I write better music than they ever will and I'm sure lots of you do as well.

Mozart... Classical garbage? You best be trollin'.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by GibsonMan321
Mozart... Classical garbage? You best be trollin'.

Half-trolling half-not lewl, I know he was a musical genius etc etc but I find little to no emotion in most classical music, and I don't like how it's written. Often whenever I listen to it they'll do something and I'll think "that's terrible, I could have done it better".

EDIT: Like I said that's not always the case though; there's SOME classical I like.
sunbather is shit
Quote by Pagan-Pie
None of these children are 'prodigies', they've just been programmed to mechanically copy things like trained seals. It's a case of ****ed up parents trying to live vicariously through their children.

Pretty much this.

I was one of those so-called "child prodigies" when I was younger. I could play Chopin when I was eight... but that was all I knew how to do. I could play but I never learned how to critically think about music b/c my teacher was your typical first-generation Asian teacher. I learned how to act like a virtuoso but I didn't and couldn't think like a musician b/c that wasn't part of the training. Asian parents typically aren't interested in creating a sense of music appreciation in their kids - they just want their kids to play the flashiest pieces possible so that they can show their kids off to their friends and say, "Hey, look what MY kid can do!"

Thankfully, I was able to quit and three years after I did, I found another teacher (a nice Caucasian lady) who taught me not just how to play but also WHY I was playing the stuff that I played (aka, music theory). One of the best things about her teaching style was that she encouraged me to interpret the pieces and dynamics the way that I wanted, which meant that I wasn't acting like a trained seal - I was acting like a musician... and in that vein, it's helped me to do something that those kids would not likely be able to do - create.

Yeah, under her, I "progressed" more slowly than under my previous teacher but I learned a heck of a lot about music in general such that even though it's been 12 years since I last took a piano lesson, I have still have the knowledge and the know-how to be able to play just about anything (well, with enough practice, which is really what virtuosity is about anyway).
Quote by beefcake122
Half-trolling half-not lewl, I know he was a musical genius etc etc but I find little to no emotion in most classical music, and I don't like how it's written. Often whenever I listen to it they'll do something and I'll think "that's terrible, I could have done it better".

EDIT: Like I said that's not always the case though; there's SOME classical I like.

A lot of classical music is written to illustrate harmonies and other technical things. The goal is not always to bring a tear to your eye.
Quote by StewieSwan
A lot of classical music is written to illustrate harmonies and other technical things. The goal is not always to bring a tear to your eye.

But I've found that lots of classical music strikes me emotionally..
Quote by stratdud39

That wasn't his point. It's not meant to, is what he's saying. Not sure if there's any merit about what he said, but you missed his point.
Quote by stratdud39

Well that's cool if it does, but that wasn't really my point. What I'm saying is that a lot of classical music was written to illustrate some new thing the composer discovered or expanded upon theory-wise.
Quote by blackflag49
If you find no emotion in something like this you're doing it wrong.

I'm doing it wrong. For me emotion comes from stuff like Alcest, Hammock, Explosions In The Sky, etc. I do like Bach and Prokofiev though. Also I know it's nothing like classical music, but the stuff I played in high school concert band was always awesome, that stuff actually influences my songwriting a lot, especially James Swearingen.
sunbather is shit
Quote by beefcake122
I'm doing it wrong. For me emotion comes from stuff like Alcest, Hammock, Explosions In The Sky, etc. I do like Bach and Prokofiev though. Also I know it's nothing like classical music, but the stuff I played in high school concert band was always awesome, that stuff actually influences my songwriting a lot, especially James Swearingen.

Really? Most of the "post-rock" I've heard has been mind-numbingly boring. But whatever. It's kinda silly to argue over taste, or a concept as vague and subjective as "emotion."
Quote by blackflag49
Really? Most of the "post-rock" I've heard has been mind-numbingly boring. But whatever. It's kinda silly to argue over taste, or a concept as vague and subjective as "emotion."

agreed
sunbather is shit
Quote by StewieSwan
Well that's cool if it does, but that wasn't really my point. What I'm saying is that a lot of classical music was written to illustrate some new thing the composer discovered or expanded upon theory-wise.

I know, I should have quoted beef instead.
Quote by beefcake122

Exactly, classical has no emotion. I've never heard a Mozart piece with full step bends. QED.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
Quote by catempire
Exactly, classical has no emotion. I've never heard a Mozart piece with full step bends. QED.

Give this man a medal.
sunbather is shit
lol, everybody where i live is asian (eeer, including me). There's lots of kids, mostly girls, who have learnd the piano snce they were tiny. Unfortunatly, many o them abandon it because they were sort of forced to learn it and dont really fnd it fun

music is always agood skil to have though, more kids should be encouraged to develop musical skills, but not forced.

i've been just screwing arund with guitar for the past 6 years, no formal training, but i've gotten comfortable at playing the stuff i want to play. Personally, i want to ry to lear the violin this summer, hopefully this asian girl can tech meh
Eh, I wouldn't call them prodigies. Prodigies are children pretty much as good as highly skilled adults.

But for the whole Asian thing, I can't speak for pianists or violinists as I don't play those instruments, but for classical guitar I've seen young kids playing really big concert pieces, and a lot of times they still have bad technique problems with posture, hand positioning, etc. which professors I know would find unacceptable. It's usually what happens when teachers try to get them to learn too quickly, and have them play pieces simply beyond them. Plus teachers to those students can be horribly militant. My teacher has told me she's met Asian students where they surgically removed some of the webbing between fingers at a very young age to increase their abilities to learn an instrument.
Quote by blackflag49
If you find no emotion in something like this you're doing it wrong.

That was beautiful. For a while I have been considering buying a piano (or a keyboard I should say), but I think this song kinda sealed the deal for me...
LARGE TEXT
I wish my parents would have forced something that I do now like guitar or basketball onto me at a younger age. I would be sou much better at them. When these kids are older and can appreciate it more, I think they might feel the same way