Page 1 of 2
Linky

With US patent number 7966578, Apple has been awarded control over "[a] computer-implemented method, for use in conjunction with a portable multifunction device with a touch screen display, [that] comprises displaying a portion of page content, including a frame displaying a portion of frame content and also including other content of the page, on the touch screen display". Basically, the patent gives Apple full ownership of "capacitive multitouch interface"--the touchscreen interface commonly used by smartphone manufacturers--which is the way you would navigate yourself around a touchscreen while using other multitouch gestures (for instance, scrolling around a webpage with a finger, while also being able to use a two-finger touch on an embedded frame on the page)

Thoughts?

I don't like it at all. It's going to create a monopoly in touchscreen phones, until some other company creates a new way to implement multi-touch, which also means we may see slower development in android devices.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
So...what's the issue? Maybe I'll buy an Apple phone if their product is worth a shit now. The iPhone wasn't as great as they made it out to be.
that sucks. its gonna really make it difficult for the competition to .. well.. compete. apple already gets away with making profit off of inferior products just because their PR people are stupid good at what they do. now they have a patent on the touch screen? harsh.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I thought it was going to be about more than one touch interface like the PS Vita.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Welp. As an Iphone/Ipad owner, I guess this is good. Since I plan to stick with these products. I like them.
Good. They invented it, they deserve it.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Next: some non-apple company places a copyright on the keyboard. Another places a copyright on the LED screen and LCD screen, and intel places a patent on a CPU.

Apple can get ****ed.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
For anyone scared by this, read the last few paragraphs of the article. It clarifies it a lot better.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Welp. As an Iphone/Ipad owner, I guess this is good. Since I plan to stick with these products. I like them.

Wow, what a douchey thing to say. You know you could continue to buy Apple products even if they didn't do this patent thing, right?
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by SeveralSpecies

They would be much more expensive and slower to develop.
Quote by fearofthemark
Good. They invented it, they deserve it.

How silly.

The short quote can't possible be correct.
Quote by captaincrunk
They would be much more expensive and slower to develop..

Ah.

....well **** that, then.
Quote by lushacrous
For anyone scared by this, read the last few paragraphs of the article. It clarifies it a lot better.

And does anyone actually expect Apple to not be a dick about this?

Because I really can't see that happening.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
I thought they already did?

Also, usual means of aversion:

1. Take patent.
2. Modify slightly while leaving functional.
3. ???
4. Patent defeated.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by captaincrunk
Which is entirely unnecessary and annoying.

Yeah, well your face is entirely unnecessary and annoying.

...Wait, your avatar's a silhouette...
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
this patent was granted weeks ago.

nothing will change it would never hold in court.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by doomded
And does anyone actually expect Apple to not be a dick about this?

Because I really can't see that happening.

Pretty much, they're going to be a dick about it. Hell, they filed a lawsuit against Samsung because their Galaxy phones, tablets and the Touchwiz UI "looked similar enough to fool the average consumer".
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Quote by captaincrunk

How silly.

The short quote can't possible be correct.

really? Name a single phone with a multi-touch capacitive touch screen that came out before the iPhone.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at Jul 5, 2011,
Quote by shaggydogJV
Pretty much, they're going to be a dick about it. Hell, they filed a lawsuit against Samsung because their Galaxy phones, tablets and the Touchwiz UI "looked similar enough to fool the average consumer".

I really want to make a joke about apple fanboys being stupid right now. Saying the Galaxy looks like an iPhone is like saying the Razr looks like the LG Chocolate flip phone.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jul 5, 2011,
Quote by Alex Vik
I really want to make a joke about apple fanboys being stupid right now.

By all means go ahead lol. I own several apple products and even I wanted to make the joke
Quote by fearofthemark
really? Name a single phone with a multi-touch capacitive touch screen that came out before the iPhone.

dont bother with this guy captaincrunk, he would give his life if steve jobs would suck him off.

here you go, touchscreens have been around forever, common knowledge, the patent is bunk
http://inventors.about.com/od/tstartinventions/a/Touch-Screen.htm

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by SG_dave
Wait, the patent says that smart phones use that already basically. Yet it's giving complete control of that to apple?
That can't be right.

No, they're allowing Apple to patent its particular way of doing multi-touch. In essence, the patent is saying no one can copy the interface or coding.

It is also, however, probably going to mean other multi-touch phone makers/providers are screwed.

Edit:
Quote by JimmyBanks6
dont bother with this guy captaincrunk, he would give his life if steve jobs would suck him off.

here you go, touchscreens have been around forever, common knowledge, the patent is bunk
This isn't a touch screen issue. Multi-touch =/= touch screen. Hell, my sister has a flip phone touch screen. It's hardly on the same level as an Android or iPhone.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 5, 2011,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
No, they're allowing Apple to patent its particular way of doing multi-touch. In essence, the patent is saying no one can copy the interface or coding.

It is also, however, probably going to mean other multi-touch phone makers/providers are screwed.

the patent will never hold in court.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6

They didnt grant apple a patent to touch screens, just multi-touch capacitive touch screens. My statement still stands, and your ad homonym attacks don't prove your point.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by JimmyBanks6
the patent will never hold in court.
Maybe, maybe not. First someone has to even bring a case against it.

I must add, after contemplation, that it is kind of a dick move to get a patent after you see your competitors begin selling and developing a similar product, even if you actually applied for the patent before they did so.
Quote by fearofthemark
They didnt grant apple a patent to touch screens, just multi-touch capacitive touch screens. My statement still stands, and your ad homonym attacks don't prove your point.

They dont prove my point but they do prove a point.

Quote by wikipedia
Microsoft's table-top touch platform Microsoft Surface, which started development in 2001, interacts with both the users touch and their electronic devices. Similarly, in 2001, Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories (MERL) began development of a multi-touch, multi-user system called DiamondTouch, also based on capacitance but able to differentiate between multiple simultaneous users (or rather, the chairs in which each user is seated or the floorpad the user is standing on); the Diamondtouch became a commercial product in 2008.

okay, patents bunk, there you go.

If you understood patents, you would understand that the touchscreen being in a phone doesnt matter, its the touchscreen itself, doesnt matter what it is in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-touch

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by SeveralSpecies
By all means go ahead lol. I own several apple products and even I wanted to make the joke

This

But You can't deny that your grandma wouldn't know the difference between this and an iPhone:

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Lmao I love internet lawyers. Well, Jimmybanks, since you seem to know the ins and outs of patent law, why oh why will this never hold up in court?
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Maybe, maybe not. First someone has to even bring a case against it.

I must add, after contemplation, that it is kind of a dick move to get a patent after you see your competitors begin selling and developing a similar product, even if you actually applied for the patent before they did so.

Theres 2 reasons this wouldnt work:

1. It was predated known implementation, the software can be patented, sure, the capacitive touchscreen itself is already known information, unpatentable (well patentable, but bunk)

2. This would monopolize touch phones to apple, would never be allowed, especially with the direction the market has moved.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
I had an iPhone before Apple monopolized touch screens...

double hipster?
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by trueamerican
Lmao I love internet lawyers. Well, Jimmybanks, since you seem to know the ins and outs of patent law, why oh why will this never hold up in court?

You learn about patents and whats patentable in post-secondary school, dont worry, youll get there sometime, maybe.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6

If you understood patents, you would understand that the touchscreen being in a phone doesnt matter, its the touchscreen itself, doesnt matter what it is in.

Stop. Stop now. Your logic is unsound and doesn't do more than obfuscate. Don't come in here, bringing unrelated examples, and try to prove something. Stick to the damn topic, at least.

Quote by JimmyBanks6
Theres 2 reasons this wouldnt work:

1. It was predated known implementation, the software can be patented, sure, the capacitive touchscreen itself is already known information, unpatentable (well patentable, but bunk)

2. This would monopolize touch phones to apple, would never be allowed, especially with the direction the market has moved.
And you know this all to be fact how? I don't give a shit what you think. It doesn't mean it'll happen. Wait & see before you give your predetermined judgements. Afterwards, feel free to go, "I told you so" -- if you do, in fact, turn out to be right.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Stop. Stop now. Your logic is unsound and doesn't do more than obfuscate. Don't come in here, bringing unrelated examples, and try to prove something. Stick to the damn topic, at least.

The article has 2 examples of multi-touch capacitive screens that predate the release of the iphone and the acquiring of the touch company in 05.

The patent comment was in relation to his other post telling the guy to find a predated "phone" with multi-touch

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6

I'm done arguing with you. You're clearly not very smart.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark

I'm done arguing with you. You're clearly not very smart.
No, he's smart. Just incredibly wrong and lacking a grasp of logical argument.

Jimmybanks, go argue with a wall or something.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
No, he's smart. Just incredibly wrong and lacking a grasp of logical argument.

there is examples proving the hardware was already known by ms surface and another tech company predating the acquiring of the touch company and the iphone
what more do i need?

also i read this article on engadget and gizmodo weeks ago, the commenters in both proved why this would go nowhere multiple times. If you are interested in reading them then google is your friend.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Page 1 of 2