Ive got a new 2x12 cabinet coming soon, so i would like an amp head, not a combo
Budget $600 US
Styles: Metal, Hard rock, Metalcore (my two main influences are probably Alter Bridge and All That Remains)
Willing to buy used, but theres not alot in the elko area on craigslist.

I've looked at 5150s/6505s, Carvin V3, Bugera 333XL, and the Peavey VTM. Any comments on the vtm? i havent heard much about it. also, what are my other options in this price range?

EDIT: I also have no idea if i will be gigging any time soon.
Rig:
Jackson SLSMG/Ibanez S470QS/Charvel DS-1 -> JCA100H/BV50H -> Carvin V212

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Some of my farts last longer than Axe does.
Last edited by CowpokeFromHell at Jul 5, 2011,
for ultimate versatility look into a v3.
the bugera would be a solid choice as well
cant speak for the vtm.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
If you can score a 5150, that would be a good amp for you. It is just a classic metal amp and is still being used after 20+ yrs so that sould speak for its self.
The VTM is a JCM 800 clone, and I don't think you'd really want that sound for your styles, but I could be wrong. It is a very good clone though, probably the best that has been made.
I'm not too impressed with the Carvin V3, but again it is a reliable amp, built very tough. I have only played on a V3 a couple of time, and I could not get a diecent tone out of it.

The Bugera 333XL is a nice head, and super versitile. It sounds really good and yes people like to hate on them, but I have one and think it's a great deal for the people on a budget.

Also check out the Bugera 6260 if you like the 5150. And don't leave out the Jet City JCA50/100 heads.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
99% of metalcore is played on a 5150/6505/6262.

Other options would be the V3, the Jet City 50 watt head, and maybe look at blackstar.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
^ Do the JCA heads have enough gain for what im trying to do? I've never heard any soundclips of em' but i hear they're designed by Soldano?
Rig:

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Quote by CowpokeFromHell
^ Do the JCA heads have enough gain for what im trying to do? I've never heard any soundclips of em' but i hear they're designed by Soldano?

On its own... not likely. The gain is probably going to get you somewhere in the range of 80s metal. You're gonna need an OD.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by CowpokeFromHell

these are all Jet City JCA100 vids. the JCA100 are the same as 50..basically

Clean - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ugGxWnKqMw

Lead Channel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFUFirtjXQc

Metal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7PHh_aIwQY

Heavy De-tuned Metal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh1_TxDCv8M

go through those and you decide, personally i think it would suit you fine, with an OD.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Last edited by jimihendrix6699 at Jul 5, 2011,
Then you should look up jca100 metal on youtube and there is a pretty good clip form one guy I saw.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I just took a look at those vids of the JCA, and i may have made my choice. Im confused with the speaker outs on the back of the head where there are two 8 ohm jacks. Can i just run a single speaker cable from one of those into an 8 ohm cab?
Rig:

Quote by JamSessionFreak
I can say from experience skip the V3. It unfortunately is a jack of all shits. Does lots but nothing sounds particularly great. I went with a 5150 instead.
Quote by CowpokeFromHell
I just took a look at those vids of the JCA, and i may have made my choice. Im confused with the speaker outs on the back of the head where there are two 8 ohm jacks. Can i just run a single speaker cable from one of those into an 8 ohm cab?

Yes
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Zakky vengence of A7X is playing Jet city amps jca100h. Completely stock except the paint job. So says the website anyway
I just got a Maxon OD808 and boosting my JCA50 with that =

Seriously, get an OD808 for your boosting needs.