Hey everyone, I recently bought a Marshall JVM 215c. I cannot get a good metal tone out of it, ie. Children of Bodom tone. It doesnt seem to give me a chunky palm mute that Im going for, also the overall tone is not quite right. Can anyone give me advice on what the settings should be on?

Thanks!
Well a Marshall JVM isn't really made for that kind of metal. You should've looked for something heavier. I'm sure someone else can help you find a _decent_ tone with it, but all in all you got the wrong amp.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
I'd advice turning middle down a little and bass and treble up a bit. DO NOT EXAGGERATE. Otherwise it just sounds shit. If you're looking for the CoB tone it helps a lot if you're downtuned, but I figure you have. Generally turning the amp way up makes it sound a ton better, specially 'cos it's a tube amp.

What guitar have you got? And are you using any pedals?
Im using an ESP LTD Alexi-600 in Drop C tuning, I have a noise suppresor pedal and a Korg blackout tuner, I have a sonic stomp and a Kerry King 10 band EQ pedal but the latter 2 are not turned on.
If you have a tight budget look at the Peavey Vyper 30 or 75 they will get you way closer to the sound your after.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by pedersbr
Ill have around 1500-2000

look into a Peavey JSX or a used Recto.

Wait with that budget you could get a Splawn Nitro and it would sound incredible.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ JSX is a good recommendation. If you want a versatile amp that is mids focused that is a good choice.

I'm guessing by his link he lives in Canada. Not sure what Splawns cost up there but I think the dollar value is on par with US dollar right now. I'd actually go for a Quick Rod over a Nitro though.

TS - do you have to buy a new or are you open to used amps too? Where in Canada do you live?

I'm not a COB expert but a quick google search tells me he has used Marshalls in the past and may actually be using a JCM 800 2203 now. So - if that is the case the JVM 215 should work fine for you. Although not my favorite amp by a long shot.

I'd get a JSX. It runs EL34s and can pull of lots off different tones. That or a Quick Rod.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 5, 2011,
Im in Calgary Ab, the music shops biggest brands are mesa and marshall and line 6, no peavey Im kinda limited as to what I can look at as its going to be a store credit for 1499
Fuck yeah.

I was actually going to recommend that (Roadster) when I search on L&M web site. If you can afford it. Do it.

You said you are not using the sonic stomp or the EQ. Is there a reason for that?

Used Mesa Roadking would be better. Or the Electradyne perhaps. Do you HAVE to buy from L&M
Im trying to get the right tone from the amp, then tweak and perfect it with the pedals
well an EQ pedal is an enormously good tool to have (I have one). So, as much as I admire your attitude toward tone - running an EQ pedal is nothing to be embarrassed about. The JVM, as much as I hate it, really should do what you are looking to do. Try boosting the Green option for OD1.

But seriously, too many people rely on pedals to get there tone so I admire your attitude.
Thanks Man I try to think things through all the way when Im doing something