Ive been playin guitar for about a year now and im in a band now and its about time i got another guitar because my begginer ibanez wont cut it being i have the worst guitar in the whole band im hoping to get it by christmas. Im into stuff like pierce the veil to black veil brides to bring me the horizon and avenged sevenfold and slipknot and nirvana. I love the sound of that nice pierce the veil sound guitar but i also like the heavy low stuff from slipknot. I want a guitar that can have a wide range of tone. I have thought of schecters and also epis. I wanna just be at home playin the nice sound from pierce the veil and when its time for band stuff i wanna just be able to have it in that black veil brides tone and their is 3 guitarists in my band if that matters.
just plz link some guitars you think are good for that sound im lookin for
Err what amp are you using?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Skip the guitar upgrade, skip the pedal and just buy a new amp. A new guitar or a dirt pedal won't get you the tones you want. Sad to say that anything through the MG... will still sound like an MG.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I would go with a higher end Epiphone, considering it will be your second guitar, you want a quality instrument that will suit your needs for a couple of years.

Keep in mind though, Epi makes some shitty guitars and some really nice ones comparable to Gibsons, you just have to know what your looking for.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
You should get a new amp. Almost everyone on this forum doesnt like MG's. Get a better amp like a cube or a Vox vt.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
well like im not so much of the person who can get things all too much like for my 1st guitar i had bought it myself for $200 with money i had saved up for sometime and i got the MG last year back in november and for that christmas i didnt really get anythin being i got the amp i think the amp if fine just need a pedal or 2 but i mean my guitar has major cosmetics flaws to it like they had to do work on my neck and i still have to get the nut fixed but i sat down and added up the price for the nut and new pickups and it was gonna be more then i payed for the guitar plus i can do stuff like pinch harmonics and dive bombs on my friends guitars but not on mine since my pickups suck and cant push out enough power for a pinch harmonic
and yes i know at the time i got my 1st guitar my friend was gettin his 2nd and he was gonna choose a epi les paul limited edition studio for $350 and it had seymour invaders in it if you ever seen the video for unholy confessions its the one syn uses being he uses the invaders and now i cant find my that guitar any where i look and i want that one
A 15 watt solid state amp cannot play with a band. Unless you jsut have 3 guitarists sitting around getting high. Wanna play gigs and with drummers? New amp.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Don't plan on getting a drummer then :p
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Your tone comes from your amp, not your guitar. Your guitar is what you play - it's purpose is to be comfortable to you and have the features you need. Each guitar does have it's own tonality, but in the big picture of your tone, your guitar is really just going to put the final touches on the flavor/nuance of the tone that your amp is generating.

That said, it sounds like your on a budget, so I highly recommend getting a used Peavey 6505+ 112. Another good option that is probably cheaper would be a used Bugera 6262.

Like said above, you cannot play with a drummer with 15W amp, ESPECIALLY not the bass. A good rule of thumb is that the bass amp should most of the time be 2-3x as many watts as the guitar amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Synester Gates may use Invaders (Though I'm sure I heard he used EMG's to record some of the earlier stuff) but his tone comes from the Bogner Uberschalls and Mesas or whatever else he's using nowadays.

If you want to improve your tone - upgrade your amp. But as true as that is, If your guitar is seriously hampering your playing, you might be better off with a new guitar. It's true that your amp has the biggest impact on your tone, but the simple fact is if your guitar isn't comfortable or doesn't fit your style then it's going to have a negative impact on your playing.

What's your budget? What model Ibanez do you have at the moment and what exactly is wrong with it? If the neck is comfortable etc.. it might be worth just fixing anything that's majorly wrong with it (Like the nut) and upgrading your amp.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Agreed with GNR4EVER. I had a similar Marshall for years (although it was a bit bigger, 30 watts) and it just didn't take an pedal very well, so I'd defiently upgrade the amp before putting pedals through it. If your happy with your amp and you aren't having a drummer for a while theres no rush, but bear it in mind. It took me years to get the gear I wanted, and I was always keener on upgrading the guitar first, juts because it was more my ting, but upgrading my amp was the thing that allowed me to jam comfortablly with a decent bassist and drummer.
well my guitar has some real major flaws to it and ive heard my guitar in other amps and to me it just really didnt sound all that much better and really i think its best for me to get another guitar due to the flaws of it and i have no clue what it is i just know its gio though i got it from a starter pack. my parents dont really buy me all to much in the 1st place especially expensive stuff im not some spoiled brat whos gets what ever they ask for so ya they cant afford to be buyin me amps especially since im on my 2nd amp really my 1st was a 10watt ibanez. as much as i would like a nice half stack with a new guitar i can't cuz thats how it dont work for me so really i just want a new guitar i just dont feel comfterable with mine
What's your budget for a new guitar?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by anthonyGD
well my guitar has some real major flaws to it and ive heard my guitar in other amps and to me it just really didnt sound all that much better and really i think its best for me to get another guitar due to the flaws of it and i have no clue what it is i just know its gio though i got it from a starter pack. my parents dont really buy me all to much in the 1st place especially expensive stuff im not some spoiled brat whos gets what ever they ask for so ya they cant afford to be buyin me amps especially since im on my 2nd amp really my 1st was a 10watt ibanez. as much as i would like a nice half stack with a new guitar i can't cuz thats how it dont work for me so really i just want a new guitar i just dont feel comfterable with mine

If you're getting a guitar, we're assuming we can put that money towards an amp.

Your amp is what makes you sound good. Amps are way more expensive than guitars. Get the amp now, upgrade the guitar later. You said cosmetic flaws, music isn't about cosmetics. Pickups aren't that big of a deal if you have a decent amp and dial it in right.

What amp did you play it through besides yours? And pinches come from technique. I can do pinches on acoustic and clean guitar.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Please use punctuation and divide your posts into paragraphs where appropriate. Yeah, I know, this is an internet forum and not a book club, but your posts look and read like they were typed by a squirrel on acid. If squirrels spoke English and did acid, that is.

As others have said, your tone depends on your amp for the largest part. As long as you are using an MG15, your tone can not be salvaged. There is no room for any discussion in this and there are no exceptions. Don't even think about new pickups or pedals until you've got the amp-situation sorted out.

The Gio guitars are pretty decent actually. I recommend you take it to a tech/luthier and get it set up properly, it can make a world of a difference.
While I understand everyones pushing this guy to get a new amp, I think he leaning towards a new guitar, which isn't nessecairly a bad idea IMO.

I had a crappy amp when i first started out, in fact it was just a Karaoke player I had plugged by bass up through. I got a new bass before I got a new amp, and that bass just so happened to be a BTB (which has an active preamp EQ)

It did shape my tone up a bit, and the nicer bass improved my playing and technique. When I did finally buy a better amp, I very much appreciated the nicer tone I got out of it.

I say go with the guitar, since your looking at a Epi Les Paul anyways, its likely the one your going for will have the standard 4 knob configuration most LPs do. You'll get to toy around with the tone on that plus your new pedals until you can afford a new amp, which is something I think your most certainly going to want to do in the long run.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
^A bass can sound good through any decent full-range system, especially if said bass has a good built-in EQ. A neutrally amplified bass can sound absolutely fine.

Guitars don't. They need an amp that does extensive tone shaping, or they sound very poor. I'm not meaning to be rude, but what works for bass does not necessarily work for for guitar and vice versa, so your example is not helpful at best, and downright misleading at worst.
Quote by TheQuailman
Guitars don't. They need an amp that does extensive tone shaping, or they sound very poor. I'm not meaning to be rude, but what works for bass does not necessarily work for for guitar and vice versa, so your example is not helpful at best, and downright misleading at worst.

+1

Especially in this case where the TS states that he is seeking a specific tone, in which an amp will give him more bang for his buck.

In comparison, his new guitar won't sound too different from his current Ibanez.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Sorry to say, but new amp, dude. A new guitar is not going to give you any different tones through that MG. I had an MG15dfx, and all my guitars sounded exactly the same through it. Now when I play them through my Kustom, they all sound very different.

If your guitar is still playable, NEW AMP.