Hello. I currently have a Ibanez RG350DX. I have been thinking about upgrading the pups.

Basically i like the neck pick up (humbucker) because it gives a nice clean bass sound. It's the only time i use it.

However i never even use the middle single coil pickup and the bridge i only use for distortion (about 90% of my actual playing is distorted) I have been thinking about getting EMG 85/81 set.

(off topic question.. Could i remove the middle pickup and replace it with maybe a black cover so its flush with the scratchplate? It interfers with my picking. anyone who was played this guitar will understand and thats just my technique to were i pick. )

However only actually using the bridge pickup.. Because i dont think you can really get a nice clean tone from EMG's (active) but please tell me more

My amp is Peavey Vypyr 30 watt incase you are wondering.
Thanks.
No idea about the rest of this stuff, but for clean EMG's (specifically the 81/60) I know that it's a bitch trying to find a sparkling clean.
You can get half decent cleans outta an 81/85 set. I've played alot of metallica/ pantera cleans on my 85 thru my buddys vypyr. Much prefer my vt30 but they're both crap anyways.
I suggest a new amp. Or at least some nice dimarzios.
yeah you can just lower the middle pick-up and not use it, or just put a pickup cover there... or just remove it, all are ok.

With the other 2 pickups, what do they sound like, and what sound are you going for? can you think of any guitarists sounds you are aiming for?
---
If I were you i'd look into some dimarzios. Personally the combo of ibanez guitars and dimarzios pups is pure win. Plus with dimarzios you can mismatch and get a bridge pup that has awesome distorted tones and a,neck with awesome cleans for the same price or cheaper than that of a emg set. As far as the single coil thing, im pretty sure you could just get a new pickguard, it would require a,little more soldering and time.
My older buddy has a guitar with some EMGs in in (81, single, 85) and he gets some killer clean tones through his Bassman, WHEN HE ROLLS BACK THE VOLUME you really gotta roll em back for more mellow tones.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
With your amp, I really wouldn't bother. While you'll probably notice a difference, it won't be a difference worth $200. Your money would be better spent on a whole different guitar that comes stock with a nice trem and pickups, or a nice tube amp.

Quote by Miiiiks
No idea about the rest of this stuff, but for clean EMG's (specifically the 81/60) I know that it's a bitch trying to find a sparkling clean.

You must be doing it wrong then. The 60 is my favorite EMG pickup, aside from the P85, and the only active humbucker I've really ever been impressed by.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
After like 3 years with a Cheaper RG, you just really have to get a new guitar. The tuners, trem, pickups and electronics really just kinda suck after a while. Just new pickups and a bridge is around like $400. If your lucky you can find a nice mid-80's Made In Japan RG, better but not great pickups, ALOT better bridge, better quality construction, higher quality woods used, just in general better.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I managed to get amazing cleans out of my 81 81 set that I had a while back. It's just all about EQing them right.

If you want decent cleans and great distortion, get a 81X/85X set.
aren't the Xs supposed to be passive? god, stay away from them.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
aren't the Xs supposed to be passive? god, stay away from them.

No... HZs are the passives... I think Xs are the revoiced preamp models. They sound like they're perpetually juiced on 18Vs.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I managed to get amazing cleans out of my 81 81 set that I had a while back. It's just all about EQing them right.

This. With active pickups, it's all about your EQing skills.

Quote by MatrixClaw
With your amp, I really wouldn't bother. While you'll probably notice a difference, it won't be a difference worth $200. Your money would be better spent on a whole different guitar that comes stock with a nice trem and pickups, or a nice tube amp.

Also, this. Really. Pickups aren't worth upgrading if you're running through a modeler.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X