Whilst looking at college music programs I thought of an idea for a job/career/etc.

What if a group of musicians (2,3,4,10, whatever) got together and formed a band, but they formed specifically to be able to back up solo artists? They could sign to a label and help write perform adn tour with solo artists. I thought of this because I saw an alumni from a community college who is one of my mom's friend's son is a guitarist touring with Lionel Ritchie.

Does this exist? And does it sound like an okay idea? Not saying I'd do this, just wondering.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
You mean a backing band or what?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

What a groundbreaking idea.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by Trowzaa
You mean a backing band or what?

Yes. I'm just an idiot who couldn't think of a term for it.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Sounds like session musicians to me. They would all just have to be extremely skilled and capable of playing ANY style to be able to do this though
NOPE
Seems like a group like that would be crushed by the free market pretty quick. Why hire 3 guitarists, a drummer, bass player, and keyboard player when all you need is 1 guitarist, and a keyboard player?
PM me for newts
Alright. I know this isn't new or anything, I just wondered if the backing bands actually form as a single band and not just a bunch of separate people.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
steely dan!!!!
MAYBE I DO WISH THEY WOULD MAKE A 8 STRING DAISY ROCK GUITAR!!! OK SO!!

Quote by xSacrilegex
I hate old metal, I hate British metal.

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
motherfucker i'd fuck that nigga's bitch ass up
Quote by thePTOD
Alright. I know this isn't new or anything, I just wondered if the backing bands actually form as a single band and not just a bunch of separate people.

I understand what you mean, and it doesn't seem to happen often (if ever). theoretically if there were a group of highly talented musicians at that level, they'd just form their own and make sweet, bootiful moosic
Quote by thePTOD

Backing bands will rarely-to-never perform consistently together with different frontmen. But lots of backing bands will stay together and be practically a band with the frontman. Think the E Street band. Some originate as a bunch of thrown together musicians but become a solid band (and not just a handful of musicians). However, lots of solo artists will want the best of the best available musicians, and will find whatever the best available guitar player, drummer, etc. happens to be.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by StewieSwan
Seems like a group like that would be crushed by the free market pretty quick. Why hire 3 guitarists, a drummer, bass player, and keyboard player when all you need is 1 guitarist, and a keyboard player?

Uh...wtf?

Live band, can't do it all with just 2 people.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Uh...wtf?

The Black Keys. The White Stripes. Death from Above 1979... the list goes on.
Quote by StewieSwan

Yep, this.

You can't really be a "session band."

Although, it does remind me of this group of musicians I came across online that are like that. It's a pool of people that you can hire from. Be it one person, a duo or a quartet, depending on what the client wants.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Jul 5, 2011,
Quote by JustRooster
The Black Keys. The White Stripes. Death from Above 1979... the list goes on.

How could you forget Japandroids?

DFA1979 and Japandroids are the shit. Canadians just seem to know how to do a two-piece.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I can name lots of bands that have full bands too. Your point being? Just cause some people do it doesn't mean everyone does it.

What a load of poppycock. I bet you're going to try to tell me next that the Earth is round or something stupid like that.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Uh...wtf?

That's not what I said. Reading comprehension fail.

If you need a guitarist and a keyboardist for a band (you already have a drummer and backing singers) then all you would need to hire is a guitarist and keyboardist. No need to hire a huge backing band that's gonna charge a lot of money if you don't utilize every single member in it.
PM me for newts
What an idea!! However

Im out
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽