I heard somewhere recently that if you turn on your amp without a cabinet plugged in that it will blow it up. Is that true even with a solid state? When i first bought my head i turned it on and used it with headphones before i had a cabinet and ive also had things like where i tried to use it and realized i hadnt plugged in the speaker cable. Whats the deal with this?
Schecter Damien Elite Avenger FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster Fretless
Samick Dreadnaught Acoustic (Unknown Model)
Various Marshall Amplifiers
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
Why would you turn on an head without a cab? That makes no sense. I dont think it will blow up, but maybe it will if you turn it up all the way.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Didnt i say i was using the headphone jack? Something tells me i shouldnt blindly trust advise starting with "i dont think it will blow up" :p
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
Well it certainly can cause a tube amp major problems, but I don't think it would cause any real harm to a solid state.
it's not a problem with solid state.

the headphone jack should mute the speaker anyway.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
You can blow a transformer without having a dummy load (speaker cab). I know this is true for tube amps, I'm not sure about solid states. But if your amp still works then no need to worry. I wouldn't advise doing it often though, just in case.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
Thanks guys. It does indeed still work, I figured it wouldnt be a big issue. but it doesnt hurt to check. ill have to keep that as a priority once i get my triple recto lmao. i cant afford to blow that thing.
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
Oh, i didn't know it had a headphone output, my bad.
Fine with SS amps. It's how I used to rehearse years ago.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Interesting tidbit: I was playing around with a Laney VH100R's preamp tubes and how the various combinations sounded with 2 different cabs. About 2 hours in, the amp was all lit but had no sound. So between writing the preamp tube combinations and the tone from the different speakers, I increased the volume, until it was maxed. D'oh!

No sound from the cab but I heard what I was playing directly from the head! D'oh again! I forgot to connect the head to the next cab prior to changing the next batch of preamp tubes.

Although this went on for ~10 minutes (was probably distracted by some planning for the next project); fortunately, the head was undamaged.

I've done something like that before, scary as hell when you realize whats going on.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
I'll also reinforce that it's fine with SS amps. The way I learned that scared the crap out of me.

I was at a local show a while ago, and one of my favorite bands was playing, and one of the guitarists was at a table tuning his guitar with an amp head. I had thought until that point that you should never turn on a head without a cab connected. But I figured since it was solid state (he plays through a Line 6 HD147), maybe there was something he knew I didn't.

They played the show, and everything was fine. So I learned something cool haha.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
As just a general precaution, I wouldn't ever run a head without a cab, SS or not. Certainly with tube amps, cranking and playing with no cab will cause arcing/flyback across the output transformer, which usually = bang and smoke. Apparently some newer amps do have a short across the speaker output jack when no cable is connected, which grounds the juice from the output tranny via the power tubes, but I imagine this would be very strenuous on the tubes.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
It won't usually blow up a SS amp but it isn't something you'd want to do all the time. It isn't good for it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gregs1020
No amp has ever "blown up".

Lol.

If there's smoke and fire, that's 'blown up' enough in my books
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by jukejointjohnny
If there's smoke and fire, that's 'blown up' enough in my books

You probably suck at fireworks.
Quote by Ippon
I forgot to connect the head to the next cab prior to changing the next batch of preamp tubes.

Although this went on for ~10 minutes (was probably distracted by some planning for the next project); fortunately, the head was undamaged.

I guess I got lucky too with my Laney GH50L, a few days ago. It was on for half a minute or so, with me playing and thinking it was the volume knob on my guitar.

Seems to be doing fine, but I'm thinking it gives of less heat now from the power tubes. Could be my imagination, but won't know for sure until tomorrow (rehearsal).

on topic: Solid States should be fine if this happens sometimes, Tube amps you could fry your transformer.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Quote by JStraitiff
I heard somewhere recently that if you turn on your amp without a cabinet plugged in that it will blow it up. Is that true even with a solid state? When i first bought my head i turned it on and used it with headphones before i had a cabinet and ive also had things like where i tried to use it and realized i hadnt plugged in the speaker cable. Whats the deal with this?

As far as I know it only happens with tube amps, which need a load or else you could blow the amp. Doesn't apply to SS. IF you want to avoid using a cab, you can buy or make a "dummy load", a device that "tricks" the amp into thinking it's plugged into speakers. But DON'T turn on your tube amp without a load or else you'll break it.
Quote by gregs1020
No amp has ever "blown up".

Lol.

If an amp does not blow up it does not have "teh soul of teh valves"
Quote by kutless999
Why would you turn on an head without a cab? That makes no sense. I dont think it will blow up, but maybe it will if you turn it up all the way.

I saw your avatar and thought you were Roc8995 (Colin). Colin wouldn't spout that babble though so I did one of these

Seriously. Change your avatar to something else to avoid confusion.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I saw your avatar and thought you were Roc8995 (Colin). Colin wouldn't spout that babble though so I did one of these

Seriously. Change your avatar to something else to avoid confusion.

Ok, sorry. I'll change it. Yeah, I hope you didn't think that was Colin. He sure knows his stuff.

Is that better?
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 6, 2011,