I'm almost 17, pit. I need to start thinking about what I want to do when I move out. I'm not going to college/uni, I've got my options narrowed down to this:

1. Travel (cycling across countries, hopping trains, just going and adventuring)
2. Join the military

I don't think I want to be in the military, but what about the peace corps? From what I've found I agree with what they are about. I'm built fairly big, I'm not a vulnerable person. Anyone here have any reading/resources about the peace corps beyond their 'about us' page?
nope.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Quote by sglover34479

1. Travel (cycling across countries, hopping trains, just going and adventuring)

Where do you intend to have all this money from. You are 16 and probably making minimum wage. I mean, if you save up alot between now and then, but still. Won't get you far at all.

Eventually you will have to get a real job.
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
I've heard the Peace Corps is very hard to get into, but I don't know a lot about it.

My cousin was in the Americorps, which is sort of similar, just within the US instead of foreign countries. They gave her a place to live and paid for some expenses in return for volunteer work.
To the guy asking where I'm gonna get the money, life doesn't really cost all that much. Only need enough money to get food to survive. I know a lot of people that started traveling and even went as far as to not use money at all for months at a time. I'm not talking about comfortable type of travel :p

I emailed a recruiter for the peace corps last night. From what I can find, they really like you to have a degree but it isn't completely needed.

EDIT: Not saying I won't ever need to get a real job just to clarify, of course I will.
Last edited by sglover34479 at Jul 6, 2011,
I was thinking about something like this since i highly doubt ill ever make a living playing guitar being an electrician in the army or travelling would be good since i want to see the world and live life a little.
they only want some bullshit degree in LIBURL arts dude
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by sglover34479
^Not true, they want degrees in things like technology and teaching since that's what a lot of people are needed to do.

joeks bro

joeks

But peace corp sounds like a cool thing. It's not what I would want to do, but that's just me >_>
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by blankoff
What exactly is the Peace Corps anyway?

A volunteer organization that sends people to help in developing countries. It's a 2 year commitment, plus 3 months training. They provide a way there, enough money to survive while you're there and a way home, plus about 6 grand to readjust to normal life afterwards. Jobs range from working in offices to grass huts in fiji, anything and almost anywhere.
Quote by sglover34479
A volunteer organization that sends people to help in developing countries. It's a 2 year commitment, plus 3 months training. They provide a way there, enough money to survive while you're there and a way home, plus about 6 grand to readjust to normal life afterwards. Jobs range from working in offices to grass huts in fiji, anything and almost anywhere.

Sounds really worthwhile, and i bet it would look good on a CV as well for afterwards.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Quote by bluekirby7
Where do you intend to have all this money from. You are 16 and probably making minimum wage. I mean, if you save up alot between now and then, but still. Won't get you far at all.

Eventually you will have to get a real job.

This.

I'd encourage anyone who graduates and doesn't want to go to college to attempt making it on their own for a year or two.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by blankoff
What exactly is the Peace Corps anyway?

A bunch of treehugging hippies
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
if you want to join the Peace Corps, you'll probably need a college degree or at least a lot of experience with volunteer/non-profit work. so start that sort of thing now. find yourself a place that you can volunteer at after school or on weekends that is somewhat related to potential Peace Corps work.

it is really a pretty huge commitment to be there for over two years, plus the time that it takes for your application to go through (upwards of a year). though, once you are there you do have a lot of freedom and downtime depending on where you are placed.

it is something that is worth applying for, even if you aren't sure that you'll get it. just make sure that if you do apply that you are pretty certain about wanting to do it because if you are accepted and turn it down, you'd have a hell of a time getting through the application process again or even possibly getting a job with the government.
The only humanitarian work anyone should do in the third world is banging down its door with the battering ram of democracy. Militarily.

I kid. The peace corps is a great opportunity, and if you can get in, go in. Don't rule out the military completely, though. The military can provide you with a lot of benefits to help you line up your future, and contrary to popular belief, there are positions you can take in the military that focus on keeping our people safe as opposed to blowing up the other guys. Most of those roles will give you the opportunity to do humanitarian work as well.

I'm not gonna sit here and try to recruit you or anything, I'm just suggesting that you check it out.
Only people I've met from the peace corps are a few of my teachers. From the way he describes it, it's a very rewarding experience. Go for it bro
I'm hearing a lot of positive feedback from everyone I've told, I'm almost certain I'm gonna go for it. And I'm also going to start doing volunteer work and all that now, and probably go to college and get at least an associates degree before I go.