I've been considering switching the tubes in my 60watt crate head. It has 2 6L6's in it. What kind of a tonal difference would putting EL34's in it? Never changed the tubes since I got it, and I'm a bit of a tone-chaser. So my question is... What would it do?
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Provided it's capable of using the other tubes, the EL34s will make it a little edgier - think British amps. My Mesa Lonestar has the capability to accept 6L6s, 6V6s or EL34s. I've run all three in it and prefer the 6V6 sound.

Edit: Just remembered... Using the EL34s in my Lonestar made it hum like crazy. Not sure if it was the brand of tubes, or what. I used Groove Tubes. I ran them for about two weeks, but wasn't crazy for the hum or the tone. The 6V6s had a nice tonal quality and they're quiet. I also run them in the Tweed setting, which is important for 6V6s.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jul 5, 2011,
Quote by ThrashMetal014
I've been considering switching the tubes in my 60watt crate head. It has 2 6L6's in it. What kind of a tonal difference would putting EL34's in it? Never changed the tubes since I got it, and I'm a bit of a tone-chaser. So my question is... What would it do?

i am pretty sure you would need some minor electrical work in addition to just throwing in new tubes.

what may be an option is two KT88's, as i am able to do with my 120BV, but cathbard said that the transormer may not be able to supply the current draw so that i would have to run it with two tubes instead of four.

needless saying that, unless your transformers are spec'd for two KT88's (you wouldnt be able to run a single), that may be an option

* i am still learning a lot about electronics and amps and am on my second amp build, so i am certainly no expert in this (yet), but i believe that what i said is as true as can be with limited knowledge.

pm cathbard, he is the one who helped me with ti.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/