Hey guys,

I've been playing guitar on and off for about 8 years or so. In the past two years I got caught up with partying alot and lost focus of what whas important in my life which is music. Recently i purchased my car and i finally got my own aptartment now so im in a good position to buy myself a new guitar.

I have a few questions and here they are.

1. I've been playing guitar for ahile now and im decent I guess. Others have said I was god with the guitar lol but theres no way. I pretty much forgot everything I used to know except a few things like some major chords and minor chords and hammer and pully's, just basic stuff. Also havent lost my dexterity and speed. What are some major things I should start learing when I get my axe? like chord progression, theory, scales ect ect.

2. what is a great way of structuring my practice sessions? Like one week scales, one week theroy and another with modes? What are some ways you guys learned and what helped qucken things up faster. What worked and didnt work?

3. Im debating on buying an acoustic guitar but not sure. I've always played Electric and im not sure what to do. I kinda like the taylor 110ce and 114ce series but is it a good Idea to go for an acoustic right now or an electric?

p.s second tine re writting this post cause UG wants to be lame and randomly log me out.
Well don't go for modes as mentioned in point 2. That'll just lead you astray.

Otherwise it completely depends on your goals. What do you want to achieve with the guitar? Do you want to play in cover bands in pubs? Release an album of original songs one day? Just want to jam out Metallica songs in your bedroom? All of the above?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Modes cant be that... hard lol. Well My main goal is to get to where I used to be and be able to play in a serious band. I just want to be up to par. I play alot of Deathcore and metalcore music like As blood runs black and Parkway drive, asking alexandria. many others but kinda in that area. I do want to play shows im my area and expand and hopfully some day tour.
It's not about modes being hard, it's about them being not really all that useful.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by SeanDougi
Modes cant be that... hard lol.

can you explain to me the functional difference between Ab major and F minor?

you don't have to answer that to prove anything to me or anyone else here. however, if you can't, you're not ready for modes.

"one week of theory, then one week of modes..." modes are theory. work your way up to them. you don't start learning grammar in a language before you can write the alphabet, do you?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by soviet_ska
It's not about modes being hard, it's about them being not really all that useful.

Especially seeing as he plays more sort of death/metalcore. I would say stay away from them. Maybe one day once you're awesome with theory... but if all you can remember is a couple major chords you might have trouble.
For the practicing I wouldn't say "one week with chords, one with scales, etc".

What I do, is set myself weekly "tasks" which fall in with certain areas.
Like for one week I'll be working on one specific area of technique for example, one specific area of theory, as well as repertoire (learning songs...), sightreading, jazz, and practicing on my other instruments.

People seem to use this sort of structure, but per day. While this may get good results, I think a week of working on Dominant 9 chords and arpeggios will sink in much better than an hour in one day.

I've only recently started this style of practice "routine", but it seems to be serving well so far.
Quote by SeanDougi
Modes cant be that... hard lol.

Well they require a firm foundation in theory before you.....understand them lol.

Quote by SeanDougi
Well My main goal is to get to where I used to be and be able to play in a serious band. I just want to be up to par. I play alot of Deathcore and metalcore music like As blood runs black and Parkway drive, asking alexandria. many others but kinda in that area. I do want to play shows im my area and expand and hopfully some day tour.

Then learning chords, scales, and theory will help them. I'd start by getting around the major, minor and 7th open and barre chords, learning major and minor scales and all the notes on the fretboard. From there you'll start to get an understanding of how everything works.
Soundcloud
personaly, i practice techniques every day. Alt. picking, sweeping, string skipping etc.

My theory learning is kind of sketchy, i red one huge lesson on basics that in a way covers everything begginers need to know and the red up here and there on a few new things, like harmonic and melodic minor, cadences etc. there is no strict routine for theory. If i hear a term that i dont understand ill read up on it and try to find examples of it and later on put something together myself to secure new gained knowledge.
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by FistOfFury
Play what you feel like playing and ignore the strict musician mentality

Yea I tried that for a while. Problem is I never really proggressed as a musician. I think that is why I always hear people say there stuck in "RUT" I was reading these forums and alot people say if your comfortable your not progressing and that kinda makes sence.

I might just do different weekly practices. One week theory and chords ect ect..

what do you guys think about learing to play classical? Do you think that would increase my skill level? I heard classical is the foundation I guess I heard idunno..

thx guys
Why does everyone thread in this subforum turn into an arguement of whether modes are relevant
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Wiegenlied
Why does everyone thread in this subforum turn into an arguement of whether modes are relevant

The forum seems to be stuck at the 'antithesis' stage of the following:

Thesis: "Incorporating modes into my solos will vitalise my guitar playing."

Antithesis: "That isn't using modes, so modes aren't useful."

Synthesis: "Learn what modes really are and use them if you still think you can get good results."
Quote by Jehannum
The forum seems to be stuck at the 'antithesis' stage of the following:

Thesis: "Incorporating modes into my solos will vitalise my guitar playing."

Antithesis: "That isn't using modes, so modes aren't useful."

Synthesis: "Learn what modes really are and use them if you still think you can get good results."

Well there is also the "modes are a different form of tonality than keys" school of thinking.
Soundcloud
Quote by SeanDougi
Hey guys,

I've been playing guitar on and off for about 8 years or so. In the past two years I got caught up with partying alot and lost focus of what whas important in my life which is music. Recently i purchased my car and i finally got my own aptartment now so im in a good position to buy myself a new guitar.

I have a few questions and here they are.

1. I've been playing guitar for ahile now and im decent I guess. Others have said I was god with the guitar lol but theres no way. I pretty much forgot everything I used to know except a few things like some major chords and minor chords and hammer and pully's, just basic stuff. Also havent lost my dexterity and speed. What are some major things I should start learing when I get my axe? like chord progression, theory, scales ect ect.

2. what is a great way of structuring my practice sessions? Like one week scales, one week theroy and another with modes? What are some ways you guys learned and what helped qucken things up faster. What worked and didnt work?

3. Im debating on buying an acoustic guitar but not sure. I've always played Electric and im not sure what to do. I kinda like the taylor 110ce and 114ce series but is it a good Idea to go for an acoustic right now or an electric?

p.s second tine re writting this post cause UG wants to be lame and randomly log me out.

First of all, congratulations. It's great when you start to achieve things like that, and make strides in the right direction.

1. My advice would be to start to try and clearly define in specifics what you'd like to accomplish as a musician long term.

2. In my opinion, short sessions but those done consistently are ideal, so if you spend 15 minutes of focused study and practice, every day, or play during the commercials, in a focused manner, that's about ideal. I'm not a believer in mammoth study sessions or total immersion in one thing each week. Study is like trying to grow an apple tree. It grows when its ready to grow, just keep giving it what it needs, but unfortunately you cannot artificially speed the growth, but you can always ruin the growth.

3. I can't answer that, but consider how any guitar fits into your goals and direction as a player. If that guitar is going to inspire you to pick it up, lern on and progress consistently, then its a good guitar for you.

Good luck!

Best,

Sean
Seriously how do you find a party life like that if you are not in college? I want to know haha.
@SeanDougi

From the beginning I practised like crazy but I can never say for sure that those practise sessions were as beneficial as the songs that i was learning. I always felt that I got better by learning songs and solos in particular, which was also what i preferred doing.
Quote by FistOfFury
@SeanDougi

From the beginning I practised like crazy but I can never say for sure that those practise sessions were as beneficial as the songs that i was learning. I always felt that I got better by learning songs and solos in particular, which was also what i preferred doing.

That was another thing I plan on doing. Im going to increase my song repitoire and then attempt to break them down and figure out why they were done the way they were done. I feel that all those long hours really didnt do much to help, but atleast I alwasy did hour warm up and tempo building. I know that helped me out, but the theory is pretty much out the window.

Im really considering on bying a decent classical guitar and learn the fingerpicking style for awhile. I really want to do something different and then attempt to incorporate this style into my own.

p.s anyone else pumped up for Battlefeild 3?