Hello all,

Recently, I have found into my possession a beautiful Schecter C-1 Classic: an amazing guitar with some impressive features for the price I payed for it. Everything is in great condition except for ALL of the screws in it. They're rusted and a nasty brown color, which makes it look cheap and junky. How hard would it be to find the screws to replace them? Would it have to be special order through GC or can I just go to a Home Depot or Lowes to find a suitable replacement?

Thanks in advance!
They likely can't be bought at Home Depot, but it can't hurt to try. A real fastener specialty store might be a better bet. That's where I got screws for my PRS at one point. Take a sample in and they will match it.

I'd be more concerned that the truss rod adjustment is rusted up too. You might want to put a single drop of penetrating oil in there and let it just sit. Don't get any into the surrounding wood or put so much on that it starts to seep into the wood. Don't spray WD-40 in there or any other such crap.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Take a sample of the screws with you to a guitar shop and see if they can supply some spares (I got spares for free once just buy asking a shop). Or see if you can get similar from a home depot shop as most screws are just that - screws the only thing you might not get is the colour of the screws that you need from a home depot shop.
Quote by ibanart300
Take a sample of the screws with you to a guitar shop and see if they can supply some spares (I got spares for free once just buy asking a shop). Or see if you can get similar from a home depot shop as most screws are just that - screws the only thing you might not get is the colour of the screws that you need from a home depot shop.

They're chrome screws, so I don't think color is going to be the problem.
Quote by Vulcan
They likely can't be bought at Home Depot, but it can't hurt to try. A real fastener specialty store might be a better bet. That's where I got screws for my PRS at one point. Take a sample in and they will match it.

I'd be more concerned that the truss rod adjustment is rusted up too. You might want to put a single drop of penetrating oil in there and let it just sit. Don't get any into the surrounding wood or put so much on that it starts to seep into the wood. Don't spray WD-40 in there or any other such crap.

I don't think that the truss rod is messed up. The fact that it came completely set up (I got it from a shop in the Raleigh, NC area), and played amazingly good when I got it. Although, the truss rod does need adjusting due to me putting .12 gauge strings on it, so I'll make sure, you know, just in case. Thanks for the advice guys!
Ah ok well then in that case give it a go, I meant more that if the screws were gold/black or anodised to a specific colour.
Quote by ibanart300

I don't know about down under, but in America, Home Depot (tm) and similar stores carry some specialty screws, but not many. It's the shape that makes the difference, more than the color.

Musician's friend has several varieties of Fender and DiMarzio pickguard screws, but Schecter screws tend to be a little different. Best bet? Try calling Schecter and see if they'll send you some replacements. Otherwise a place that specializes in fasteners might be able to get them, but probably not. Some internet based fastener store probably has them, but it might be difficult to find on their site and there might be a ridiculous minimum order. Might be cheaper to find another Schecter in bad shape at a pawn shop or Craig's list, and then cannibalize the screws off that.
Quote by ibanart300
Ah ok well then in that case give it a go, I meant more that if the screws were gold/black or anodised to a specific colour.

Alright, Cheers! Thanks for your help!
Quote by jetwash69
I don't know about down under, but in America, Home Depot (tm) and similar stores carry some specialty screws, but not many. It's the shape that makes the difference, more than the color.

Musician's friend has several varieties of Fender and DiMarzio pickguard screws, but Schecter screws tend to be a little different. Best bet? Try calling Schecter and see if they'll send you some replacements. Otherwise a place that specializes in fasteners might be able to get them, but probably not. Some internet based fastener store probably has them, but it might be difficult to find on their site and there might be a ridiculous minimum order. Might be cheaper to find another Schecter in bad shape at a pawn shop or Craig's list, and then cannibalize the screws off that.

I don't know. I've just pulled them out of the guitar as of now, and they don't looks like they're any more different than the screws at a store. I think the only problem I'll have is the tuner screws, as they look different. But hey! I need to switch the JB out anyway, so if worse comes to worse, I'll have to put them back in. Thanks for your suggestions!
Yeah we don't have a Home Depot named store but we have general hardware stores which what I thought he was referring to lol.
Oh yes, The C-1 Classic does not have a pickgaurd, and it's the screws in the pickup ring that are the problem. Sorry, forgot to mention that earlier!
Quote by Cannibal Koala
Oh yes, The C-1 Classic does not have a pickgaurd, and it's the screws in the pickup ring that are the problem. Sorry, forgot to mention that earlier!

Those might be easier--if you're talking the ones holding the rings to the guitar body--they might be plain countersink wood screws. If you're talking the ones that adjust the pup height, those are harder--they're usually long pan-head machine screws.

Either way, both will be available either from Stewart Mac or Allparts.