Is there a demand out there for DI tracks that are re-amped with commercial VST software? I'm considering providing a service like this for bands/individuals who want to nail a particular tone, but I don't have any really rare/sought-after gear, and so I can't use that as a selling point.

Instead, my selling point would be that I could specialize in replicating tones of other famous guitarists as heard on their studio tracks. I would provide sound samples and comparisons of the tones I've created to the tones of their counterpart guitarists. It seems like this will save people the trouble and time spent dialing in their amps/sims, and they can always listen to my raw sound samples to determine whether the reamping is worth it before committing. Alternatively, I could send them snippets of the processed track to see if they are satisfied before finishing the job.

As guitarists, do you see yourself or anyone using this service? Any ideas about the potential market or price points?

Appreciate all feedback/mocking laughter
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Last edited by HellBoy9393 at Jul 6, 2011,
if it's just using a vst anyone can run on their computer why would they have you do it instead of just doing it themselves.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
But what if it's commercial and can't be downloaded illegally?
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

I think there could be a niche market for reamping through real rigs, anyone can use vsts though
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
I think there could be a niche market for reamping through real rigs, anyone can use vsts though

that is what i was gonna say. me and my buddy were thinking about offering our amps for reamping service.

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
no anyone who can record DIs can use vsts, some of the free vst amps sound way better than the commercial ones, and ppl who cant afford the commercial ones just get it from the internet anyway
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

I'd seriously doubt it. Unless you're charging like $5 a song (and even that's probably a lot), people would rather just pay someone with real amps to do it, or use free VSTs themselves.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I had a website all ready to go before I started this thread. http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp

I'm doing this mostly for the experience, so it's free for now. Feel free to send me some tracks. Also, if anyone knows a more efficient/convenient 2-way method of transferring large files like wavs over the internet, let me know. If anything, I had a f*cking blast making that website!

While I agree with the sentiment that "anyone can just download a VST", it's sometimes quite hard to dial in a VST to sound like the real deal, although I suppose even under those circumstances, it's still not a very valuable service...
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by gumbilicious
that is what i was gonna say. me and my buddy were thinking about offering our amps for reamping service.

But your amps are identical...
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by Jaekae
no anyone who can record DIs can use vsts, some of the free vst amps sound way better than the commercial ones, and ppl who cant afford the commercial ones just get it from the internet anyway

X50 and X30 FTW!
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by HellBoy9393
I had a website all ready to go before I started this thread. http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp

I'm doing this mostly for the experience, so it's free for now. Feel free to send me some tracks. Also, if anyone knows a more efficient/convenient 2-way method of transferring large files like wavs over the internet, let me know. If anything, I had a f*cking blast making that website!

While I agree with the sentiment that "anyone can just download a VST", it's sometimes quite hard to dial in a VST to sound like the real deal, although I suppose even under those circumstances, it's still not a very valuable service...

I think if you're going to go on with it, you need to have a list of the gear you're using and the VSTs available.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thanks for the heads up. I forgot about that.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

I love having my threads hijacked

Gumbi, nice amp collection, even though I've seen it already in one of the many posts with your pics in them.

Don't hesitate to send tracks my way, guys. I want to see how this goes. KEY WORD IS "FREE"!
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Your Slash tone sounds pretty good, not perfect but pretty good. But you're Kirk clip the tone sounds off
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Quote by Ippon
What speakers do you have in that Marshall (right end)?

one cerwin vega 18"

and that pic is actually quite old. i am just a amateur musician, just wanted to give an idea of who you'd be competing against for re-amping services. i will restate i am just an amateur, this is more of what you'd be going up against:

that is just a corner of their store room.

now, i know you changed OP and are willing to do this for free now, but i was just trying to show what you would have been trying to compete with.

-ae
Gumbi it wouldn't make a difference whether you're an amateur/pro - you've got the gear. Why don't you start your own reamping services?

Ibj, thanks for the feedback. I just created the kirk tone today so I haven't had time to fine-tune it yet. The line 6 mark iic model is pretty hard to work with.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

HellBoy: For an oldschool Kirk Tone, go with a Marshall 1959 with a Boss OD-1 or Tube Screamer on it. And if you can pair the MK IIC+ pre section with a Marshall power section, that would help too.

EDIT: Take note, Kirk didn't record rhythms til The Black Album. It was all James. Kirk's tones were in his solos. The JH sounds were respectively:

KEA: Marshall 1959 Super Lead with a Rat
RTL: Modded 1959 Super Lead with a Gibson Explorer.
MOP: Mark IIC preamp into Marshall Power Amp. EMGs were introduced here, as well as his old V with an Invader.
AJFA: Mark II
After that, various other Boogies, Diezels, etc.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 6, 2011,
Yeah if only I had that equipment...Pod Farm has most of the models (the super lead, rat, etc.) but obviously they don't interact with each other the way they do in real life. Makes my job a little harder, though to be fair, it isn't exactly easy even if you had the real gear to get the mic configuration/placement, compression and room ambience settings to match the ones on the studio versions of the songs.

Any other requests for specific tones, just shoot.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

how about some Van Halen? Panama?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by HellBoy9393
Instead, my selling point would be that I could specialize in replicating tones of other famous guitarists as heard on their studio tracks.

Why would somebody want to sound like some other guitarist on their own record?
@Ibj: Glad you asked! I have a VH tone already but it's far from perfect atm. VH's earlier stuff (e.g. Eruption) is really hard to do on VSTs because of the Variac'd, screaming and feedbacking Super lead that's pretty much impossible to replicate without a cranked tube amp and a few dead children.

@WtrPlyr: Some guitarists/bands like existing tones and prefer to stick to their influences. See most of the UG gear recommendation threads for examples. Why else would Line 6 create its own tones (as mediocre as they are) for famous songs? Same goes for artist "signature" amplifiers. Most might opt for their own tone but I know that most of my guitarist friends prefer to recreate rather than procreate when it comes to guitar tones. Besides, tons of cover bands out there
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
Gumbi it wouldn't make a difference whether you're an amateur/pro - you've got the gear. Why don't you start your own reamping services?

not enough time really. between what i do for an actual job and recording and playing. i just didn't see it being worth the time.

i checked out your sight, i actually dug on the tones. i wouldn't be able to spend that much time to get such recreated tones

Quote by HellBoy9393
Some guitarists like to discover their "own" tone and write original music, but those guitarists constitute a tiny fraction of the entire guitarist population. Most of us cover the songs of our favorite artists. What I have to offer is a library of tones from a range of popular guitarists, and the ability to sculpt new ones.

and because of that. my amps are much more geared toward getting my tone and not getting other people's tones. i am just not that good at dialing in other guitarists tones, we'd cater to personalized tones.

the pros i'd be competing against also just have more stuff too, we'd get priced out for what they offer.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 6, 2011,
^I encourage you to go ahead w/ the reamping. I've seen some others offer the same service (google "Michael Wagener real amping") with the intent of providing a personalized tone using high quality gear, and I've seen rates as high as US$200 per track! IMO, your gear is comparable to his.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

I'm still working on the Van Halen one but I've got one for Yngwie now. Take a look and let me know what you think of the tone. http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp

Oh and remember that I'm no Malmsteen, so excuse the playing.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon