Hey everyone! I've got a few questions concerning the settings on my Mark Bass amp (specifically the VLE and VPF knobs)

A little bit about me: I am 17 years old, going to San Diego State in the fall to pursue music (majoring in jazz studies, probably with a minor in education). I play a Musicman Stingray out of a Mark Bass 2x10 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/markbass-cmd-102p-300-500w-2x10-tilt-back-bass-combo-amp), and for bigger gigs, I stick the Mark Bass on top of my Gallien Krueger 4x10. I play in a band inspired by ska/funk/rock/hip-hop sounds, and I love it!

For most songs, and for practice most of the time, I stick the VLE and VPF to 0, and put Low, Low Mid, High, and High Mid at 12 o'clock. Not really sure how to balance the Gain and Master Volume though. When I need the extremely dubby, bassy tone, I crank the VLE and VPF to max, the Low to max, keep the Low Mid at middle, and put the High and High mid at 0. What I get from this is a body shaking, dub-tastic growl.

Here are recordings of my band, and I'll explain which settings I had:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iv70hJc9cQ This is what I generally play as, with Low, Low Mid, High, and High Mid in the middle and the VLE and VPF at 0.

The more dubby sound that I use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htc87tz2r50

Also dubby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJlgVKm9sBo&feature=related

Now, my question to YOU guys, is how do you like your Mark Bass settings? I'd love to try new things with it. I have a pretty good ear with bass tones, but I don't necessarily know how to achieve them through an amp. Specifically, if anyone plays a Mark Bass through a Musicman Stingray, I'd LOVE to hear how you like it!

Thanks so much to anyone who can help! Also, if you're interested in downloading my bands album for free, the link is right here: http://www.mediafire.com/?bo6cjh4jmam20b5 Also, "like" us on Facebook! The name is "NEVEREADY". Show the album to all your friends, just spread it like wildfire!
Im confused. You say you have a good ear for bass tones but cant figure out how to get there? Your question is pretty specific. I highly suggest you just sit there and start turning knobs. Thats one of the best things about playing is coming up with new and unique sounds on your own not trying to mimic everyone elses sounds.
What exactly is a mid scoop? Is that a mid booster, or a mid cut?

What I mean by I have a good ear is that I know the difference between a good bass tone and a bad bass tone when say, others might not be able to. And I'm not looking to "mimic" anyones sound, I just want to know what other people have come up with, and try it for myself.

Another question to shoot out there: my friend once told me that the only thing that makes a Mark Bass a Mark Bass is the VLE and VPF knobs. I don't really believe that. Is this true?
Quote by fabiojuanton
What exactly is a mid scoop? Is that a mid booster, or a mid cut?

What I mean by I have a good ear is that I know the difference between a good bass tone and a bad bass tone when say, others might not be able to. And I'm not looking to "mimic" anyones sound, I just want to know what other people have come up with, and try it for myself.

Another question to shoot out there: my friend once told me that the only thing that makes a Mark Bass a Mark Bass is the VLE and VPF knobs. I don't really believe that. Is this true?

Hi there, Peter from Markbass here!
Happy to help out here.
The VLE is a Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator, which cuts a wider and wider range of high frequencies as you turn it up. It's sort of like an "old-school knob" which takes the modern crispness/sparkle/attack off your tone. Makes you sound less hi-fi, and is great when you don't want to be quite so clear. Sometimes Markbass rigs can sound TOO clear for the musical situation!
The VPF is the Variable Preshape Filter... it boosts lows and highs, and cuts mids. Some call this the "smiley face" EQ, or "scoop" EQ. It's also sometimes refered to as an "enhance" knob. This is great for slap bass, because it emphasizes your attack, but also restores some of the low end you lose from attacking the strings so hard. It also works well for pick playing and driving 8th-note rock music.
So these filters really address specific MUSICAL needs... people generally find they don't use much EQ on our amps because they don't need to. However, certain musical styles benefit from these EQ adjustments, that the filters supply in a very convenient way.

Although these filters are unique to Markbass amps, and Markbass users love them, they wouldn't make sense if you weren't starting with a very true-to-the-source sound when the EQ is flat and the filters are off. And it's not easy to get an amp to sound perfect with everything flat! We're very proud of that, and our customers love it. So although there are lots of great amps out there, I think it's fair to say that not any ampo could sound like ours by simply adding our filters!

If you have any questions about our products, let me know!

Cheers everyone, this is my first post here!
Peter

(Peter Murray, International Promotion, Marketing and Artist Relations, Markbass)
Wow, thank you so much Peter! That really helped out a lot, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for.
Quote by smb
Hi Peter, welcome to the forum.

Are the VLE and VPF passive?

The VLE is passive, but the VPF boosts lows and highs so it has to be active.

P
Quote by fabiojuanton
Wow, thank you so much Peter! That really helped out a lot, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Great! You're very welcome.

P
Quote by Peter Murray
The VLE is passive, but the VPF boosts lows and highs so it has to be active.
Ah right. Thanks for the reply.
I generally set VLE to 9:00 and VPF to 1:00. For the EQ, I up the bass to 1:00, put low mids down to about 10:00, and keep the rest flat. At least with the bass I play, that creates the universal tone I use in every song.
17 and have enough money to get a mark bass amp? or did your parents buy one for you? Either way, I'm jealous. I've been GASing for one of those for ages. my mesa boogie amp is nice but those mark bass amps are amazing
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
It was a birthday present, I split it 3 ways (myself, mom, and dad). So it evened out to about $400 each.

EDIT: and damnit, I love it!