Im looking at getting a Strat further down the line, when ive saved a bit of brass.

So is the American Standard really that much better than the American Special that they can justifyibly charge £250(ish) extra.

Saying that, i do like the olympic white which the Special doesnt come in
I'd go for the standard. But that's just me. If you think it's not worth the extra then go for the special.
What does the Standard have that the Special doesn't?

When I was buying my RR3 the only 2 differences between it and the RR5 was the 5 was Neck-thru and had an OFR. Wasn't worth the extra £600 in my eyes.

So just look at what extra you are getting and if you feel it is worth £250.
If i got one do you think it would be best to get maple or rosewood fretboard.

I have a SG which obviously has a rosewood fretboard. Im buying a Strat cos i want something really quite different to my SG in terms of look, feel and tone.

i think i prefer the look of rosewood though
some people think that choice of fretboard material affects tone, to me it's purely cosmetic and what you prefer the look of.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by MegadethFan18
What does the Standard have that the Special doesn't?

When I was buying my RR3 the only 2 differences between it and the RR5 was the 5 was Neck-thru and had an OFR. Wasn't worth the extra £600 in my eyes.

So just look at what extra you are getting and if you feel it is worth £250.

The RR5 has also better woods and better pots. And the price difference certainly is not £600, you must have a terrible dealer. At most dealers there's only £300 difference.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
the special has a 6 screw trem and different pups. the wood used is the same as MIM strats. basically the special is a MIM made in the US so you can say you have a US made guitar. they're not bad at all but not really all that much better (if at all) than a MIM. the higher end US guitars are better. whether you think they are L250 better is up to you.
The Special isn't even worth what it costs. The American Special is basically the same thing as the Mexican Standard, just built in the US. If you are considering it, you should look at the Standard for $300 less.

And yes, the American Standard is worth the extra $250 (pretend that is the GBP sign, I have and American Keyboard).

Quote by monwobobbo
the special has a 6 screw trem and different pups. the wood used is the same as MIM strats. basically the special is a MIM made in the US so you can say you have a US made guitar. they're not bad at all but not really all that much better (if at all) than a MIM. the higher end US guitars are better. whether you think they are L250 better is up to you.

+1
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by LP_CL
The RR5 has also better woods and better pots. And the price difference certainly is not £600, you must have a terrible dealer. At most dealers there's only £300 difference.

Dunno about now but the wood was the same for both, Alder body, Maple neck and Rosewood fret board.

My guitar was £360 (Gettin' it on the cheap) and the RR5 was like £950-£999.

Also and if by "Better wood" you mean the same type but somehow "Better" I couldn't give any less of an F about that. I don't buy into most of the stuff that makes expensive guitars expensive.

I also don't know what pots are.

Also I didn't get a hardcase with my guitar I bought it later for like £110 so £470 all in. They now sell RR3 with a case as standard but it is ~£600
I don't know if there is a sound difference between a rosewood fretboard and maple, although perhaps better ears than mine can tell a difference. There are some guitars that have a totally rosewood neck (as opposed to a rosewood fretboard on a maple neck - some older PRS models have done this), and some seem to feel that these sound different....

The feel difference between maple and rosewood fretboards also seems pretty minimal to me. My main concern with the maple is the combination of wearing away of the finish, and grime build-up, over time. Obviously you still get grime build-up on a rosewood fretboard, but it shows a lot less, and you don't have to be as careful with cleaning it. (YMMV)
I thought the American Special sounded good but didn't feel like a quality guitar. It felt toy-ish to me, and didn't seem like a guitar for life kind of guitar.

The Standard is great though. I'm actually selling one in the UK if you're interested. You can find my thread on it in the gear ads.
Quote by MegadethFan18

Also and if by "Better wood" you mean the same type but somehow "Better" I couldn't give any less of an F about that. I don't buy into most of the stuff that makes expensive guitars expensive.

Thats a pitty for you, because a good sounding instrument needs a fine piece of wood.

Pots are the electronic pieces that let you control the volume and tone.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by MegadethFan18
Dunno about now but the wood was the same for both, Alder body, Maple neck and Rosewood fret board.

My guitar was £360 (Gettin' it on the cheap) and the RR5 was like £950-£999.

Also I didn't get a hardcase with my guitar I bought it later for like £110 so £470 all in. They now sell RR3 with a case as standard but it is ~£600

man just keep on believin.

if you don't buy into what makes some guitars more expensive then why the hell are you even asking this question.

go grab a squire with the same woods and jam on. jam the **** on.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
American Standard
2 Point Tremolo
Staggered Tuners
Micro-Tilt
Choice of a Rosewood Fretboard and colors

American Special
6 Point Vintage Tremolo
70s Headstock (Dont believe that more sustain bullshit)
Texas Specials
Bag

Im pretty sure Guitar Center offered an Oly White version of the American Special too..