Hey there. I'm using the Digitech Metal Master distortion pedal. Now, while it is probably the best budget pedal out there, it's still a piece of crap. What I do like about it, is the morph ability - the distortion can go from a classic old school styled distortion, into a way more brutal distortion. When I was looking at the more expansive ones, they usually don't do that. They are either good for old school, or black metal, or just modern heavy metal. They don't combine. Now since I play a lot of things, starting from Black Sabbath, moving into Iced Earth and then into something more modern, I need to cover a variety. Does anyone know of a distortion that fits for all(NWOBHM, 80's Heavy Metal, and modern), and sounds good?
Trouble with 'jack of all trades' pedals, is that they pretty much all suffer from 'master of none' syndrome. I use a variety of distortion and OD pedals to get different sounds, rather than one that can switch between a variety. That way, you can also stack distortions to get even more sounds.

I don't know of many 'multi distortions' (things like the Line 6 DM4 immediately spring to mind) that sound all that great because they're generally digital emulations of distortions rather than an analog effect. The key to good pedal distortion is a solid tube amp to build your tone from - may I ask what amp you're running?
Line 6 DM4
DigiTech Distortion Factory DF 7
Last edited by Weirdbag at Jul 6, 2011,
Blackstar HT pedals. Actual tube pedals. Are a bit more expensive than others but sound fantastic. I've got a the HT dual which goes from a clean/barely driven kind of sound through to really distorted metal.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
A shitty fender frontman 25R. I think of buying a Marshall, but I play a lot out of my home on someone's else's amp, that why I need a stompbox(Head amps are way to expansive).
And I'll check out the 6DM4 and the distortion factory
Blackstar Distx looks awesome, but they don't sell them in my country... Shame, I can't try them to see if I like it.
Quote by heartbreakhotel
Boss Metal Zone MT-2, do i need to say more?

To justify that choice, yes.

TS look at the Pod HD series, they are miles ahead of most Multi effects in terms of the Amp models. I would also imagine you could pull off the distortion levels you desire.
Quote by heartbreakhotel
Boss Metal Zone MT-2, do i need to say more?

I think you misread the part that requires the pedal to sound good.

Since there was no budget.

Wampler Triple Wreck
ToneCzar Open Haus
OKKO Dominator
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 6, 2011,
Quote by eyalcisv
A shitty fender frontman 25R. I think of buying a Marshall, but I play a lot out of my home on someone's else's amp, that why I need a stompbox(Head amps are way to expansive).

Just a caveat, if the Marshall you're thinking of buying is an MG - Don't. AVT likely wouldn't suit you either.

A new amp would serve you much better than a new pedal so if that's an option I'd make a thread on that listing a budget.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by Weirdbag
DigiTech Distortion Factory DF 7

I missed this part. This is singularly the worst piece of trash to ever be unleashed on the public. Let me quote you another UGer's opinion on the DF7

Quote by littlephil
The DF7 is like a box of boxes of bees in a box. And that box is in an ambulance being driven through a minefield.

Even a Metal Zone sounds significantly better than a DF7.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by eyalcisv

for starters your amp is total crap for metal so start there. you might want to look at an EH Metal Muff as they are very versatile and can cover most genres of metal. bear in mind that your guitar may not be ideal for all the genres of metal you have mentioned and that many of them require very different EQ setting on your amp and pedal.
Quote by Mathamology
Trouble with 'jack of all trades' pedals, is that they pretty much all suffer from 'master of none' syndrome. I use a variety of distortion and OD pedals to get different sounds, rather than one that can switch between a variety. That way, you can also stack distortions to get even more sounds.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
After going through several cheaper distortions my search ended with a Wampler SuperPlextortion. may seem a bit pricey, but after a few years with this one my distortion GAS was stopped dead in it's tracks. So by comparison it probably has been cheaper then still searching for the right one.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD