Page 1 of 2
I used to be talented at maths but couldn't write for shit, now I'm shit and maths and can't write for shit.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
I used to be talented at maths but couldn't write for shit, now I'm shit and maths and can't write for shit.

+1 My life story
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
Tool's Lateralus is a great example of this. Sure, there's all that Fibonacci stuff, but if you read the lyrics, I think it implies that... who gives a shit. The math is there but does it really matter?
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
I use math when I write music, but it's basic math. I don't really see what the big deal is
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7bKe_Zgk4o
Sprang to mind.

Everything in music is based on patterns. Unless you're into Experimental John Cage Bath-tub-music stuff with amplified cacti etc etc. Yeah, I said that right.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Last edited by Silent Murder at Jul 6, 2011,
I was quite good at maths at school. Also took maths and physics for further studies but it proved too much for my tiny brain.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Only really need to be able to count to 4, 90% of the time in music.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Interesting article, made a good read. I have heard that they use exactly the same part of the brain. I can see an obvious connection between the two, and as someone who studied maths at A-level and is doing Music at uni, i think about both in the same analytical way.
I'm horrible at math, very musical
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
im good at maths, im doing my degree in astrophysics lol. im not bad at guitar and piano but im horrible at composing anything. notes in scales etc are all mathematically related. ie in terms of frequency every octave has exactly twice the frequency of the octave below, A3 is 220HZ, A4 is 440HZ, a5 is 880 HZ an so on.
ive heard before that logical, mathmatically minded people are often better at, and/or more interested in music
I'm pretty good at maths, except for that ****ing algebra.
I'm pretty good at music too.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I get As in math and I'm creative musically.

There's no link though.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
I'm shit at maths, and fairly shit at the mathematical aspects of music as well. Transposing notes into different keys or scales or whatever takes far longer than it should.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
In medieval times music was considered mathematical.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
I have a quick question: Why is it called "Maths?" Like, with an "s?" I'm mathematically retarded, so my knowledge stops at basic algebra. It seems to me that it's more learned people that call it "maths."
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
They both work the Prefrontal Cortex, so they help eachother. I found that I'm naturally pretty good at the exact-subjects, such as maths, physics, chemistry etc, and I found that picking up my two instruments(piano and guitar) was pretty easy. I'm not good at both, but I'm autodictat in both, and can play decently.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
Quote by carlos_almighty
I have a quick question: Why is it called "Maths?" Like, with an "s?" I'm mathematically retarded, so my knowledge stops at basic algebra. It seems to me that it's more learned people that call it "maths."

Quote by whalepudding
maths

I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by carlos_almighty

its just 'maths' in the UK and 'math' in the US, im 99% certain that its entirely where you come from/study not how pro you are at it that decides which you say.

Quote by Drakathan
In medieval times music was considered mathematical.

it still is, notes that go well with each other follow a mathematical pattern. if you play a note that breaks the pattern, it will sound wrong
Quote by carlos_almighty

It's because it's short for Mathematics But yeah, it all depends from where you come from.
Quote by TheReverend724
Wave synthesis, man

This.

And the fact that our 12 tone system was derived mathematically.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
There is no substantial connections between math and music. Numerical calculations involved in music are petty details that fail to represent any overarching principles of either music or math. However, both math and music are concepts of abstractions.

Knowing the details of music theory does not necessarily suggest that you would be good at math. Likewise, knowing formulas of math does not suggest that you are good at music. This is because these are tangible details that are memorized by rote, and does not really stem from aptitude and comprehending the abstract. However, being able to identify or create logical patterns and architecture would be the highest level of thinking and only then it is likely that this person can become good at any abstract science, be it math, music or physics.

Also, the Mozart Effect has long been debunked, fortunately. The idea of anybody listening to Mozart to feel smarter is both insulting and pathetic.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 13, 2011,
ITT: Weird foreign people adding an "s" to the end of math.

On topic: I'm horrible at math but good with music. And by horrible at math I mean barely scraping by with a passing grade through high school.
I'm talented at mathematics, but kind of mediocre at music.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Jul 13, 2011,
Quote by Lost Dog
ITT: Weird foreign people adding an "s" to the end of math.

Close to raging

I was joint top highest in the country in my maths SAT in year 6 98/100
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I suck at math but I'm good at music
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by Xiaoxi
There is no substantial connections between math and music. Numerical calculations involved in music are petty details that fail to represent any overarching principles of either music or math. However, both math and music are concepts of abstractions.

Knowing the details of music theory does not necessarily suggest that you would be good at math. Likewise, knowing formulas of math does not suggest that you are good at music. This is because these are tangible details that are memorized by rote, and does not really stem from aptitude and comprehending the abstract. However, being able to identify or create logical patterns and architecture would be the highest level of thinking and only then it is likely that this person can become good at any abstract science, be it math, music or physics.

music is the way it is because of the physics of vibrating waves on a string or in the air inside a brass instrument.
and if you take the fourier transform of a wave of a particular note on a particular instrument, you literally get an equation of that note which can be calculated and recreated on a computer. in a way, absolutely everything is based on numbers and math.

also music contains mathematical structure, ie time, rhythm, or periodicity.
octaves, perfect 3rds, 5ths etc are all intege-r multiples of their fundamental note.
many composers have used the fibonacci sequence and the golden ratio to enhance their music.

with out math we would never be able to understand music, or to build instruments. we wouldnt be able to tune.
you talk like you dont really know what math is, i know that math can be very out there, and abstract like you say, but there is nothing abstract about the math that developed music, were talking adding, some multiplying, maybe the odd division. and physics is not abstract, physics is LAW!

mozart effect, yep agree with you there, to me it didnt even need to be 'proved' wrong, whoever suggested it in the first place should have just been slapped.

anyway, i think a flare for numbers and patterns helps you to understand music better.

im assuming most of you play guitar... ive often wondered if everyone thinks about music in the same way as they play. for example, when i play guitar, if its a song i know by memory, ill know most of the fret numbers for each note. the rest i remeber as a shape or pattern like, if on one string i play 9-7-5, i remember the 9, and 2 less, and then 2 less again etc.
as i said i am a very mathsy person, does anyone else do this or am i a freak?
Quote by Trowzaa
Close to raging

I was joint top highest in the country in my maths SAT in year 6 98/100

I got 99/100 No idea how that related to the rest of the country that year though.

I'm good at maths but awful at music - the stuff I play is basically just excerpts and little licks from other people thrown together. Every time I try to learn theory, I find it boring and can't bring myself to read more than a few paragraphs which is the opposite of how I am with maths - I enjoy learning maths and can read into without any boredom at all.
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
I got 99/100

100/100

I'm good at both maths and writing music
People say this all the time, of course there is some basic math involved in music theory, but it isn't like it's calculus based or anything like that...

And of course there is a ton of physics behind music, but there is a ton of physics behind pretty much everything. One doesn't need to know the physics of sound in order to be a good musician.
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Last edited by Msword7 at Jul 16, 2011,
I'm good at maths and music.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
I got 99/100 No idea how that related to the rest of the country that year though.

I'm good at maths but awful at music - the stuff I play is basically just excerpts and little licks from other people thrown together. Every time I try to learn theory, I find it boring and can't bring myself to read more than a few paragraphs which is the opposite of how I am with maths - I enjoy learning maths and can read into without any boredom at all.

get your theory from youtube. They have an absolutely great teacher on it.
Page 1 of 2