I am just starting to look for a decent acoustic that won't cost too much. Doesn't necessarily have to be acoustic/electric. Just try to keep it under $300, and the cheaper the better.
"Why do you need more than one guitar?" - my 8 yr old cousin

Ibanez ART100
Fender Strat
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (soon, soon)
Here you go

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/guitars/10-best-acoustic-guitars-under-300-217607

Granted, this article is for guitars under £300 (about $450) but guitars seem to be a hell of a lot cheaper in the states, often been the same there in dollars as they are here in pound sterling (i.e a $500 guitar in the states will be £500 in the UK)

Nevertheless, something worth a look at
Quote by LivinJoke84
Here you go

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/guitars/10-best-acoustic-guitars-under-300-217607

Granted, this article is for guitars under £300 (about $450) but guitars seem to be a hell of a lot cheaper in the states, often been the same there in dollars as they are here in pound sterling (i.e a $500 guitar in the states will be £500 in the UK)

according to this article, a laminate guitar sounds better to a solid top guitar...not the best resource to to go by..
Quote by SeniorPancho
according to this article, a laminate guitar sounds better to a solid top guitar...not the best resource to to go by..

Can you even get a solid spruce top for less than $300?
i would say the yamaha fg700 series are the best sounding guitars in their price range. check out the 750. if thats too expensive, take a look at the cheaper options. you may want to try out the fx series they have as well... hell, try any yamaha guitars.

if you can find them, breedlove makes stupidly good cheap guitars. my girlfriend just bought one for $400 and it blew away almost everything (there was just one no name guitar that sounded so damn good, but played like crap for $200)
Quote by LivinJoke84
Can you even get a solid spruce top for less than $300?

yes you can, heck, you can even get an all solid acoustic for $300...
Quote by User_Name336
i would say the yamaha fg700 series are the best sounding guitars in their price range. check out the 750. if thats too expensive, take a look at the cheaper options. you may want to try out the fx series they have as well... hell, try any yamaha guitars.

if you can find them, breedlove makes stupidly good cheap guitars. my girlfriend just bought one for $400 and it blew away almost everything (there was just one no name guitar that sounded so damn good, but played like crap for $200)

the yamaha looks promising, but i'll still need to head down to samash or something and try it out. thanks man

Ibanez ART100
Fender Strat
yeah, trust me here. yamaha wont let you down. a buddy of mine is a music major for guitar, and they're making him replace his guitar, not because it doesn't sound good enough but because its red. yes! they're being anal about the colour of this guitar (and they recommend it has a pickup for solo performances), but mainly because he stands out because of the colour.
i would tell whomever had told me that I needed a new guitar because of the color to **** off. And I'm sure his professor knew how much a new guitar would ultimately cost. What a dick. Anyway, thanks for the reccomendation. I'm prob gonna head down this weekend

Ibanez ART100
Fender Strat
I bought a Yamaha F335 about 2 years ago just for a beater acoustic I could throw in my car, take to get-togethers, the beach, whatever, and I seriously love it. Everyone who plays it is amazed that the guitar cost only $150. I have played plenty acoustics and very rarely come across an acoustic that I like better than this, and definitely not for under $300. If fact, the only guitar under $600 that I liked more than this was a Carvin C250.

F335 - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-f335-acoustic-guitar

If you decide you want to spend more money, I suggest Carvin or Breedlove. They make great instruments.
at under $300, i definitely don't recommend carvin or breedlove. i recommend a yamaha - the 335 is very nice for all lam, the fg700s has a solid top although i prefer the tone of the fg730s myself.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
My generic advice is to try every guitar you might "someday" hope to own. Dont be afraid to try out instruments thousands of dollars beyond your means, it will give you a better base to judge all the others against. In the end, buy the best guitar you possibly can. Even if you have to save money a little longer. What a joy it is to play and hear what is right for YOU!
Yamaha has earned its reputation for building reliable, accurate instruments.

Somewhere between $240-300 should put you in a nice place with a Yamaha acoustic.

I saw a Yamaha for $150. But that's too low of a price point for me to trust, regardless of brand. Granted, I haven't actually played the $150 model to verify it is not good, but it's just too low a price point.

You also have to think about what condition the acoustic guitar will be in 5 years from now. Things like cracking on the front facing of the guitar, the bridge lifting up... these things can happen.

The only way for a guitar to earn a reputation for holding up for several years is to be out on the market for several years and have tons of them hold up reliably. Otherwise it's just theory.
Quote by patticake
at under $300, i definitely don't recommend carvin or breedlove. i recommend a yamaha - the 335 is very nice for all lam, the fg700s has a solid top although i prefer the tone of the fg730s myself.

Sorry, I kind of worded that poorly. I meant if he decided to spend more than $300, to look at Carvin or Breedlove. I don't even think finding a Carvin or Breedlove for under $300 is possible. :p
Quote by Cloudeater7
Sorry, I kind of worded that poorly. I meant if he decided to spend more than $300, to look at Carvin or Breedlove. I don't even think finding a Carvin or Breedlove for under $300 is possible. :p

actually, yes. there's two low end breedloves that are $300. my girlfriend got one of them and its fantastic. sounds completely different than the yamahas at similar prices. plays a hell of a lot better in my opinion. the sound however, is completely based on opinion. i think her breedlove was the best sounding guitar under $900, but once again, tone is subjective.