This time I have composed this death metal piece. It has influences from Morbid Angel and Nile (especially the Middle-Eastern melodies). I need some basic feedback:

1) Does it hold the listener's interest for the entire span of the composition?
2) If there is something I should change, what it would be?

and of course if there's something else worth mentioning, feel free to tell me.
Attachments:
Alhazred.gp4
Alhazred.gp5
Alhazred_v2.zip
Last edited by ironmaidendude at Jul 25, 2011,
That was hella cool! Riff 5 was definately my favourite, the intro was incredible too.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes
2) IMO, the flute outro just kinda killed it :\ especially after the bar of silence, I don't know how it could be incorporated better though, I think it sounds ok just with the sudden ending at the end of the riff.

I really liked the intro, riff 3 was very cool aswell :P The huge slide just sounded awesome, the change between the two tempos sounded a bit iffy to me aswell, just like... too sudden? To me it doesn't quite fit right, but to each his own. I don't mean to sound too mean or anything

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1458635
Quote by JamieMcMe
That was hella cool! Riff 5 was definately my favourite, the intro was incredible too.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes
2) IMO, the flute outro just kinda killed it :\ especially after the bar of silence, I don't know how it could be incorporated better though, I think it sounds ok just with the sudden ending at the end of the riff.

I really liked the intro, riff 3 was very cool aswell :P The huge slide just sounded awesome, the change between the two tempos sounded a bit iffy to me aswell, just like... too sudden? To me it doesn't quite fit right, but to each his own. I don't mean to sound too mean or anything

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1458635

Thanks for your crit!

Well I was struggling with that outro and thought that somekind of ambient outro would work. I just used the flute from the intro because I was run out of ideas.
I lost interest around bar 35, sounded a bit repetitive. Yet, later on in the song it picks up again. I also turned the dums down as I felt they were to loud.

I also wasn't too sure about the repeating bars 78 - 99. I got over it kinda quickly.

I also think the outro doesn't even need the flute, that would be a fine ending without the flute.

Other than that it was nice. Sorry I didn't give a detailed crit as i'm in a rush but I liked it, needs a little work but its not far!
Quote by Tster
I lost interest around bar 35, sounded a bit repetitive. Yet, later on in the song it picks up again. I also turned the dums down as I felt they were to loud.

I also wasn't too sure about the repeating bars 78 - 99. I got over it kinda quickly.

I also think the outro doesn't even need the flute, that would be a fine ending without the flute.

Other than that it was nice. Sorry I didn't give a detailed crit as i'm in a rush but I liked it, needs a little work but its not far!

Thanks anyway!

Well the intro is just 'soundalike', so if I'm going to record this song sometime I will add more details to it than is possible in GP so it would sound more interesting. You didn't mention what part makes the song pick up. It would have been good to me know.
The part that makes the song pick up is the first guitar riff. Simple, but its just awesome and all with the weird time-signature And as I'm listening to it, riff three is definitely my favorite. And looking back, the intro works into the composition just great, you shouldn't change it. I can see that your influences were Nile and Morbid Angel, but can tell you weren't trying just to copy them. But like said, lose the ending and just end it straight up with the guitars. Very nice juicy stuff I would buy it! Or if you want I can maybe collaborate something with you?

C4C?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27643898#post27643898