ok, so im in need of a new humbucker in the bridge position on my Kramer Striker 211.

i play all kinds of rock and metal so it needs to be a decent one, and preferably passive, any suggestions??

also, when i turn my volume down on my guitar with any pickup selected the sound doesnt become clean, it turns into the kind of sound u'd expect to hear playing through a tin can, what could this be?

thanks
Last edited by rock rocks at Jul 6, 2011,
Do you have the stock quad-rail pickup on your striker? Or is it an even older model?

It if is a stock quad-rail, I agree that it doesn't clean up that well.

As far as new pickups are concerned, I really like the sound/tone of motor city pickups. I play everything from 80s rock to grunge to metalcore on my kramer.

Hope this helps!
sorry, forgot to mentin that it was a 211 model, so its quite new.

and i have a POD X3, no amp.
I think it would be very hard to notice a difference in pickups through a POD. I find a change in pickups to be a great way to nuance and really add the finishing touches to the set up that will help get you to the tone you want.

Pickups are really designed to shape your guitar signal for an amp, not a processor. I'd imagine the POD the cause of what you're hearing when you roll back the volume, not the pickups. I don't think there's much point in changing them out.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by rock rocks
ok, so im in need of a new humbucker in the bridge position on my Kramer Striker 211.

i play all kinds of rock and metal so it needs to be a decent one, and preferably passive, any suggestions??

also, when i turn my volume down on my guitar with any pickup selected the sound doesnt become clean, it turns into the kind of sound u'd expect to hear playing through a tin can, what could this be?

thanks

there's no treble bleed on the volume control- mine doesn't have one, anyway. that might be it. when you turn the volume down you lose all the highs.

pretty easy fix if you can solder. just affix a cap (or a cap and resistor) across the volume knob (there's a diagram on the duncan website). if you can solder it'll cost you like 50p/50c. if you can't you'll have to pay someone to do it, but it still shouldn't cost too much (get it done when you're getting the pickup fitted to save on labour charges).

EDIT: ok scratch that, if it's one of the newer ones it claims it already has a treble bleed mod. Not sure what's going on there.

what's your budget for the pickup? what's the amp? EDIT: if you're using a pod, i'd agree with what the other guys are saying- while a new pickup won't make no difference, what difference it will make might be pretty subtle and not the best use of your funds.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 6, 2011,
yeah, it really annoys me how many guitars don't bother with a treble bleed, even more expensive ones. As you say, i can understand why people don't like it, but it's an awful lot easier to remove one if you don't like it than to add one if you do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok, thanks for all of your responses guys.

i now understand why my tone stays trebly when the volume is rolled back and it looks like a new pickup will be a waste of money.

looks like uve saved me some money, cheers
mission accomplished i know we're all GAS fiends but we don't want you (or us) to be spending money when you don't have to.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?