Hey all, I've recently gotten into the idea of wanting to record my instrumental songs at home. I have a Macbook Pro so I've got a very capable laptop, however, I'm so lost as to what kind of equipment to buy to give me a high quality sound.

I want to be able to make full tracks like this

Can anyone help me? It'll be my first time doing this kind of stuff so the more user friendly the better

My budget is around £500 ($800)

Thank you in advance if I've missed anything out please feel free to ask.
GIMME FUE GIMMA FAI GIMMA DABAJAZA

Fender American Strat > Korg Chromatic Tuner > Jemini Distortion > Boss DD7 > Blackstar HT 20
The Recordings and Riffs subforum is really where you should get started. There is a lot of good info in the Stickies there that help guide you.

I think the first key consideration though is this: Do you want to 'mic' up your amp/guitar and capture 'that' sound or are you more interested in just capturing the guitar sound from a preamp perspective and adding in cab SIMs (speaker cabinet simulators) later?

I've recorded using both methods. Right now I get decent results with a Pod UX1 ($100), a Shure SM57 mic ($100) and Audacity recording software ($0). There are obviously more costly and elaborate ways to go about this.

hope that helps
wrong section. anyways get your self a port so you can hook up your guitar to your computer and i'd suggest getting a Line 6 POD. if you can afford it get a drum machine as well (they tend to sound better than most drum programs found online). i use a POD for my recordings as well as a drum machine (which is built into my Zoom digital 8-track). check my profile for some of the stuff i've recorded.
Oops, sorry for getting the wrong forum.

I think I'd want to record the guitar sound from the preamp. I'd just like something so that I can make videos with a good quality, like the example in my first post.

I've considered the Line 6 things but there are so many and I'm really not sure what exactly I need to buy to make things work smoothly, any help?
GIMME FUE GIMMA FAI GIMMA DABAJAZA

Fender American Strat > Korg Chromatic Tuner > Jemini Distortion > Boss DD7 > Blackstar HT 20
wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong ux1..pod...x3 cumon gimme a break
get an apogee one/duet with a sm57
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by deepsal
wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong ux1..pod...x3 cumon gimme a break
get an apogee one/duet with a sm57

hmmmm.. seems to be a severe lack of songs you recorded using the above. not saying you're wrong but you have nothing to back it up with.
no but i've heard it maam
i knowzz my shizz
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Besides buying a mic, interface etc., make sure you learn how to use DAWs properly. Learn the ins and outs of audio post-production.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
if u want to get a sound just like that, go on you tube, ask the guy exactly what gear he uses... im sure he'll tell you. Then go get it all and wonder why urs dont sound as good...
As someone has said above it depends on how you want to record. However having said that most devices come with a mic port and a guitar input jack so you can do both (that is recording an amp that is mic'd up or direct input of a guitar). On top of needing a physical interface you will need DAW software (i.e Pro Tools/Ableton/Cubase/LMMS (which is free) )and depending on how you want to record amp/effects simulators such as Guitar Rig and what not.

I have a fair bit of experience doing this and just as a note do not use a USB based device as there will be very bad latency (the time it takes to hear the sound of the instrument after you have played a note) even with USB-2 there is still a fair bit of latency. I don't know if there are many USB 3 devices on the market as this is kind of new. If you are going to get a recording device that plugs into a mac or pc make sure it is Fire Wire as then you will have zero latency recording. A good one that I use is a firewire device by M-Audio which can do mic's/guitar/midi. Just check out M-Audio's site for one that meets your needs.