Hey guys,

Are JCM2000 DSL or TSL amps any good? I've noticed a few kicking around eBay for £500ish, what are the differences between DSL and TSL's? I'd be playing hard rock (GN'R, Aerosmith, Led Zep etc.) and I'd be using mainly a Gibson Les Paul Studio. I'd also want it for gigging. The TSL is 60 watts, the DSL doesn't state what wattage it has.

Thanks!
The DSL is more JCM800'ish. It would be the better choice for what you want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
they are both hit and miss quality and sound wise

I've heard that the head versions are better than the combo versions

I would play it first and make sure all the knobs are smooth and the buttons work as stated. If there are any issues - pass on it.

That said, the TSL 60w combo I played a while back had great tone I thought.
I've tried the TSL and thought it was pretty good. The knobs on all Marshalls feel really cheap to me but I've not known anyone to have any real problems. If the DSL's a combo it's likely 40W. A lot of people say the DSL's better but I've never played one so I can't really pass judgement.

Having said that, from what you seem to be playing, you can probably get a JCM800/900 cheaper and it'll no doubt do the job just as well if not better.
The knobs on the Marshalls don't just feel cheap, they are cheap - and nasty. It is not uncommon to have to replace them. On everything post JCM800 2205 they are a PITA to do because they are PCB mounted. You have to pull out the whole board to change them - and it's something you will have to do before too long.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What DSL is it that you're looking at?

DSL 100 head? DSL 50 head? or the DSL 401 combo?

The DSL 100 (and 50) heads are 2-channel with each channel having 2 modes.

The DSL 401 is 2-channel with the overdrive channel having 2 modes.

The TSL 60 is 3 channels (I assume).

Just my opinion... but the DSL heads are much better sounding than the 401 combo.... which is harsh at band volume.

I highly recommend the DSL 100 head (with a quality cab of course). It's very JCM 800-ish and it can also sound plexi-ish as well if you turn the gain down and the volume UP.

I love the DSL 100 so much I have 3 of 'em! I also have a JCM 800 2203 and the DSL 100s sound just as good.

I have never ever ever heard of Marshall knobs needing replaced.

I have many Marshall amps and none of them have ever had problems with the knobs.
Last edited by dcooper830 at Jul 6, 2011,
I'm surprised. I've had to replace heaps of them. Trust me, they're junk. Scratchy pots is most common fault short of worn out tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 6, 2011,
TO tack onto this how would it sound for death metal? either or that is
My Gear
Ibanez RG3EX1 with EMG 81/85s, (EB Beefy Slinky Strings)
Alpine White Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Ibanez TS808 Reissue
Boss CS3
Russian Big Muff Pi
TC ELectronics Flashback Delay
Probably not enough gain on hand for death metal - should be fine with a good distortion until in front, although the rhythms may not be tight enough.

As for Marshall knobs? Crap. I've owned a few, played through a lot and most have had a problem at one time or another; either they sound scratchy or fall off on the ones I have owned or "I've recently had them replaced by a local tech - here's a receipt for warranty. It's worth £750, yours for £695..." type shit.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Zoot Allures
On the amp itself?

Errr, yes - where else?
Quote by Slap-happy
Probably not enough gain on hand for death metal - should be fine with a good distortion until in front, although the rhythms may not be tight enough.

As for Marshall knobs? Crap. I've owned a few, played through a lot and most have had a problem at one time or another; either they sound scratchy or fall off on the ones I have owned or "I've recently had them replaced by a local tech - here's a receipt for warranty. It's worth £750, yours for £695..." type shit.

£750? That's outrageous. It's a pita job but hardly worth that much. You got ripped off.

Yes, Zoot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard - what I meant was price of the used head, not the repair. We're going back some, too.
Oh ok. That's more like it. £750 to lift a board and replace a few pots would be cause to punch some heads.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by cheames
I've tried the TSL and thought it was pretty good. The knobs on all Marshalls feel really cheap to me but I've not known anyone to have any real problems. If the DSL's a combo it's likely 40W. A lot of people say the DSL's better but I've never played one so I can't really pass judgement.

Having said that, from what you seem to be playing, you can probably get a JCM800/900 cheaper and it'll no doubt do the job just as well if not better.

REAL CHEAP KNOBS!!

i prefer the TSL ( tried both heads )

but i hate gold

they are cheap cuz marshall has really overpriced them
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30