I play left handed, but strung upside down. I got into guitar because my dad had been playing for nearly 40 years, and he played left handed but strung so that a right handed player could play it. This was because his first guitar was a right handed acoustic, but he started to play it as if it was a lefty. And i did the same.
Anyway, i'm getting a Schecter Hellraiser C-8 in the near future, and i need to know if this would work out.
I'm pretty sure that i could do the actual conversion to right handed stringing, like reversing the nut.
BUT, it being an 8 string, will it effect the pickups? like the f# string being where the high e is supposed to be.
And, though i feel dumb asking, with it being a string through where the holes are in a certain pattern, will it effect playability to flip the strings?
It depends if the pickups use pole-pieces (like BKP's) or are just an entire magnet (like EMG's). If it uses pole-pieces then yes, it will. You would need to flip the pickup to get the correct sound, but if the whole thing is magnetic then it won't effect anything.
It shouldn't affect it. Pickups don't care what strings are where. The only way to change the sound of the pickup is adjust the height or flip it upside-down.

But Schecter are usually good with making left-handed guitars, if I recall correctly.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
.... Why not just buy a left handed 8 string? Other wise, it's an EMG and they can be reversed as well.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
i don't know much about pick-ups but i have read that apparently cause Jimi Hendrix switched the strings around on his guitars so he could play right handed guitars, the sound he got out of his strat was bright bottom strings and warm upper strings, the opposite of the way the strats intended to sound. So your guitar might sound different, but who's to say
Quote by Travmann777
i don't know much about pick-ups but i have read that apparently cause Jimi Hendrix switched the strings around on his guitars so he could play right handed guitars, the sound he got out of his strat was bright bottom strings and warm upper strings, the opposite of the way the strats intended to sound. So your guitar might sound different, but who's to say

That's true, but do you see any differences here?

The bridge pickup on a Strat is angled, and the pole pieces are different heights. So on a Stratocaster, stringing the guitar differently would make a big difference.

On a guitar where all the pole pieces (or bar pieces in this case) are flush, there is no difference. There is nothing about a humbucker (at least one designed like this) that optimizes the tone for each string.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by shaggydogJV
.... Why not just buy a left handed 8 string?

Srsly

(Invalid img)

All the schecter 8 models have lefty versions.
thanks for input. i know that the pickups dont get effected on a 6 string, but i am new to 8 string guitars.
Quote by shaggydogJV
.... Why not just buy a left handed 8 string?

That is what im doing, lol. im getting a left handed guitar, but im reversing the strings.
It won't matter for the pickups. The way a pickup is, if I remember correctly, is the north magnetic face faces inward, toward the other pickup. So the neck pickup faces the bridge and the bridge pickup faces the neck. This obviously doesn't change unless you remove the pickups itself and spin it around. And even then, I'm not sure how noticeable the sound difference would be.
Quote by TheFallOfGod
That is what im doing, lol. im getting a left handed guitar, but im reversing the strings.

wait... so... you're getting a LEFTY guitar... and flipping the strings to play RIGHTY?

......why?

EDIT: wait... nvm, i understand now.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Last edited by randomhero93 at Jul 6, 2011,
I have a lefty strung backwards for normal playing, and the knobs are seriously in the way.
Quote by randomhero93

EDIT: wait... nvm, i understand now.

do explain!

wait is it because you learned with it strung eBGDAE? thats strange! i want to see a video of this lol
Last edited by xadioriderx at Jul 7, 2011,