Page 1 of 2
Hey, I'm looking for suggestions to learn to sing and play bass. I find it much more difficult then singing and playing guitar, so I was wondering if anyone knew any songs with really easy bass part and vocals that are somewhat basic.

Thanks everyone!
free fallin
"Why do you need more than one guitar?" - my 8 yr old cousin

Ibanez ART100
Fender Strat
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (soon, soon)
Even In His Youth by Nirvana
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Don't Stop Beliving - Journey

Lmao, anything by Blink 182
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Time Is Running Out - Muse
Longview - Green Day

Two songs with bass parts that are beyond just boring root notes that I find are quite easy to play while singing along to (just a shame I'm a terrible singer).
Too Many Puppies by Primus is probably the only song I can play and sing at the same time to
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
I always like singing and playing Possum Kingdom by the Toadies. It's really easy even though both vox and bass line are fun.

Most covers just take a looot of practice for me to do lead vox and bass, I just have to repeat the bass line till it comes with zero thought, then I can concentrate on vox while I play. Thankfully, most harmonies come pretty naturally while playing bass, so there's a nice trade off.
Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Bulletproof heart by my chem, and sugar we're going down by fall out boy....or any fob song, but specifically that one.
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
Quote by ETHANEVIL
Bulletproof heart by my chem, and sugar we're going down by fall out boy....or any fob song, but specifically that one.

Really bro? Does anyone still listen to that stuff?

And this guy reminded me, Forever by Papa Roach has a pretty good bass line that's easy to sing along to.
Quote by Rancid Ivy
Too Many Puppies by Primus is probably the only song I can play and sing at the same time to

That was one of the first I learned to sing and play, lol. Actually if you can get the bass parts down to most Primus songs, the vocal lines are fairly locked in rhythm to the bass lines, which makes them easier to sing.

Alot of blues form songs are easy to sing with the bass lines because they tend to fall into predictable patterns. I'm actually singing "Give me one reason" (Tracey Chapman) for a cover band and its really easy to sing and play.
Quote by anarkee
That was one of the first I learned to sing and play, lol. Actually if you can get the bass parts down to most Primus songs, the vocal lines are fairly locked in rhythm to the bass lines, which makes them easier to sing.

That's very true. My personal favorite to play and sing from Primus is John the Fisherman.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
This is why I will always pick Geddy Lee over Claypool any day. Claypool usually talks over what he plays rather than "sing".

With that being said you could try going for any number of 90's alternative-pop songs.

Love the Low end
I'm awful at singing and playing usually, but i can play some simple beatles stuff (When I'm Sixty Four) and some strokes stuff (Someday).
Muse - Stockholm Syndrome, Uprising
Metallica - Enter Sandman
White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Iron Man (bass pretty much follows the vocals in Iron Man lol)
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by DrakeTheOne
Really bro? Does anyone still listen to that stuff?

And this guy reminded me, Forever by Papa Roach has a pretty good bass line that's easy to sing along to.

Well I don't know that's one of the first songs I learned to sing and play.
Quote by Stranglehold

Quote by stevebomb
@ Ethanevil Listening and playing aren't always the same thing. and I was really giving you a hard time, as long as you don't listen to beiber you've got better taste in music then most
Quote by DrakeTheOne
@ Ethanevil Listening and playing aren't always the same thing. and I was really giving you a hard time, as long as you don't listen to beiber you've got better taste in music then most

Hellz yea, dude I hate Bieber.
Quote by Stranglehold

Quote by stevebomb
Quote by ETHANEVIL
Hellz yea, dude I hate Bieber.

You just proved that you are not a teenage girl. Good job lad.
The Weight by The Band which is good if you like classic rock, real easy and fun to sing with. Especially if you're playing with someone on the acoustic and have another person back you up singing.
Any punk pop song, pretty much. That's Blink 182, Fall Out Boy, All Time Low, newer Green Day, and anything else along those lines.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Supermassive Black Hole-Muse

a lot of muse songs have the bassist doing backup vocals for like choruses
Quote by SuperBassNova
Thanks everyone slowly but surely I'm getting the hang off this!

Best

Which songs have you decided to take on?
I've been doing some Marilyn Manson because the bass is really easy like four notes a song. I'm going to try the suggested soon though!
Last edited by SuperBassNova at Jul 20, 2011,
Anything off of ...And Justice For All by Metallica
I pride myself on my humility.
Manson, a little different than the suggestions people have given but if it floats your boat man go with it .
Quote by PRS417
Manson, a little different than the suggestions people have given but if it floats your boat man go with it .

There's nothing wrong with Manson. He's just a bit creepy. His music is good though.
Yea, It's coming slowly, but surely. I've tried Too Many Puppies so far and that song seems to work for me
Quote by DrakeTheOne
There's nothing wrong with Manson. He's just a bit creepy. His music is good though.

Never made fun of his music. Just said that it was a little different genre than what people had been suggesting.
Millionaire by Queen of the stone age. the bassist did the vocals for that song
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
Quote by NIN1993
Millionaire by Queen of the stone age. the bassist did the vocals for that song

And claypool did the bass and vocals for all primus songs. they aren't all easy though.
I almost have tourniquet by Marilyn Manson 100% down for people who are viewing this thread. There are only four notes in the whole song. The vocals are also easy.
Page 1 of 2