So a friend asked me to guest guitar on a track he's recording, which is a full 1-man band cover of Frequency by Vanden Plas. I'm going to do the solo for him.

I don't have much experience in figuring stuff out by ear. I have pretty decent pitch. But how do I go about learning the fast runs, especially? I could figure out the slower parts just by trial and error, but is there a trick to figuring out the fast runs?

Here's the song, the solo is at 4:13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l597kS5TSis

Any tips on where to get started would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
If you haven't started vibrato, you're going to be working on that technique alone for MANY years.

Just figure out what scales are being used and practice them ad nauseum until you can just play them fast/effortlessly.
It's spelled wiener.
trick to fast runs? slow it down to 50% in audacity without changing pitch.

or jut keep playing it til it sounds right. also, can you sing the solo note for note? if you can't work on that. once it becomes second nature you shouldn't have to work very hard at all.
#DTWD
Quote by AtomicBirdy
If you haven't started vibrato, you're going to be working on that technique alone for MANY years.

Just figure out what scales are being used and practice them ad nauseum until you can just play them fast/effortlessly.

Ahh okay. So find scale, slow down, grind it up to full speed.

Also I've done a few musical festivals, the adjudicators have all complimented my vibrato so I should be good in that department.

Thanks for the replies.
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
use a free software called Transcribe! it slows the songs down for you at much as you want without changing pitch
slow it down, learn to sing it. speed it up, be able to sing it. slow it back down and learn it on your instrument.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)