hey guys ...... i got a nylon string classical guitar ,which most of you know is played with finger not picks.. i am used to play my guitar with my fingers but now i was thinking of using a pick instead ,but dont know if i should . so gotta ask you guys
CAN I USE A PICK ON A NYLON STRING CLASSICAL GUITAR ?
NO YOU CANNOT! You are breaking the classical-guitarists code of fingerstyle playing by using an abomination, such as a pick, on a beautiful instrument.

Seriously though. Yes you can use a pick on it. Go for it!

(Also - this may have been more appropriate in the Acoustic/Classical guitar subforum...just saying...)
you can but it will scratch up the finish because you don't have a pick guard, and it won't sound much different from you fingers
Quote by Bad Kharmel
you can but it will scratch up the finish because you don't have a pick guard, and it won't sound much different from you fingers

Oh yes! I forgot about that. My very first guitar is proof of such abuse from playing Green Day and Linkin Park on it ^_^....it was my only guitar then okay.
So TS, if you do want to use a pick on a classical, rather use one of those soft picks which won't damage the finish, or else be really careful when you strum.
You definitely can, I like to occasionally use some very thin picks (around .46 mm) to get some cool strumming tones that you can't get with your fingers, or on a steel string for that matter. You do probably want to get a pick guard though. You could try looking up golpeadors for flamenco guitars.
it won't scratch the finish if you know how to hold a pick and use it. I use jazz 3's as well as tortex 1mm... No marks yet from a pick... throwing it around however has left many dents... ah well.

Yeah, u can use a pick. Be sure to use just the tip though... otherwise you risk getting that plastic sound and whine. Just one of those things nylon's tend to do.
Last edited by evolucian at Jul 6, 2011,
If you want. I find picks to be completely useless anyway, and I don't say that to be elitist, like "what, still using picks? pff" but simply I find them counterproductive. Sure you can play far faster with a pick by default but there is almost no room for counterpoint (unless you use hybrid picking, at that point why bother?), something which I find to be a fundamental part of playing the guitar. Even when I'm not playing contrapuntal stuff I use my fingers anyway because it feels much more natural. As guitarists such as Paco de Lucía, Agustín Barrios, Charlie Hunter and tons of others have clearly demonstrated, you can play very fast without a pick if you practice enough.
Quote by Sóknardalr
[...] but simply I find them counterproductive. Sure you can play far faster with a pick by default but there is almost no room for counterpoint (unless you use hybrid picking, at that point why bother?).

I agree. I feel the real beauty of the classical guitar comes from the polyphony. If you don't already know how to fingerpick, it's pretty easy to learn--and it comes in handy for learning bass. I hybrid pick when I need to on the electric; it's a neat little trick to have, but it's usually all pick or all fingers for me.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
I started out with a classical and I recall using both pick and fingers. So yes, perfectly possible

Also here in Chile cheap classicals tend to be more affordable and widely available than steel string acoustics, so most students here play classicals with a pick. Just sayin'
Professional lurker since 2009.
Last edited by technoguyx at Jul 6, 2011,
As you can see from the posts above classical guitarists will always wan't you too avoid this "abomination" and use fingers. I say, what the heck? Why not? I do it with a pick all the time because i love it, and if any classical guitar player tries to be smart i quickly shut them up and let them know that i don't give a fuk. Plus, i play with a pick A LOT and have been doing it for years, there are no pick scratches or marks anywhere, unless you'll be strumming real hard all the time. Just go for it and don't feel bad about it!
Yes. If any further proof was needed,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHZtvr6yi1E
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by Srinjoy Roy
hey guys ...... i got a nylon string classical guitar ,which most of you know is played with finger not picks.. i am used to play my guitar with my fingers but now i was thinking of using a pick instead ,but dont know if i should . so gotta ask you guys

You can do anything you want, just be yourself and don't worry about what you should or shouldn't do. I play a nylon with fingers and a pick depending on the song. So do several famous people I won't name cause like I said, you should be original, don't worry about the know-it-all losers that account for 99% of the poeple in this stupid website think
Quote by Srinjoy Roy

OF COURSE YOU CAN! It sounds awesome. Please watch the video:
Vlatko Stefanovski (naylon strings + pickup)
Miroslav Radic (fingerstyle)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyFwwIHw6nw

p.s. Vlatko Stefanovsi is really master of this so this is a very good example fir your question.