hey guys, i know these questions get asked all the time here, but i need help.

i want a guitar that i can get varius tones out of....also keep in mind i dont expect to nail all these sounds exactly but im looking for a guitar that can do:

hendrix tone- castles made of sand, the wind cries mary- (strat tone)

clapton/slash tone- sunshine of your love, sweet child of mine- (les paul sound)

metal/hardcore tone- zakk wylde, killswitch engage, atreyu...(emg sounding i guess)

i have about 500 dollars to spend, id probably buy used.
i like guitars that are comfortable
i also for some reason like guitars that feel somewhat cheap....i dont like glossy guitars like les pauls that id feel bad getting a scrach on it.
i like mahogany.

now im thinking the best way to do this would be to buy a used guitar and change the pickups.

any advice???
Quote by Sledgeman
Maybe an Ibanez S-model of some sort. They are very versatile. Try to find an old S540, great guitar.

not bad, i was def thinking ibanez cus i know a lot of them come with humbuckers single coils.

other than that i was thinking of getting something with two humbuckers and doing coil tap.

or getting something with 3 single coils and putting humbuckers like hot rails in them.

any other suggestions?....for guitars or pickups?
You can get an Ibanez rg2ex1.
Then buy an Emg 81TW and 89 (both coil tappable).

Just a friendly suggestion.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
You can get an Ibanez rg2ex1.
Then buy an Emg 81TW and 89 (both coil tappable).

Just a friendly suggestion.

thanks for the suggestion bro.
well even though i do want something for metal, id rather not do active pickups. any other suggestions for pickups?

currently i have a squier deluxe hot rails...it has duncan desinged hot rails...i like how they sound, im thinking the real thing would sound good...or if not some dimarzio super distortions or duncan distortions.... i also want that slashtone though.

i also have a epiphone zakk wylde lp with emg 81/85...i like it, but active pickups always seem to be giving me trouble. and they are a little digital...id rather actually get a randy rhoads tone for metal than zakk wylde....but i do need something heavy
Quote by davem27
thanks for the suggestion bro.
well even though i do want something for metal, id rather not do active pickups. any other suggestions for pickups?

currently i have a squier deluxe hot rails...it has duncan desinged hot rails...i like how they sound, im thinking the real thing would sound good...or if not some dimarzio super distortions or duncan distortions.... i also want that slashtone though.

i also have a epiphone zakk wylde lp with emg 81/85...i like it, but active pickups always seem to be giving me trouble. and they are a little digital...id rather actually get a randy rhoads tone for metal than zakk wylde....but i do need something heavy

The Dimarzio super distortions would be great for that.
I'm actually thinking of adding those to my Rhoads.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
If you get a guitar with H-S-H configuration you could try Dimarzios. Tone zone for bridge, Air Norton for neck and maybe an HS-3 for single. Tone Zone/Air Norton is a very popular combination that will give you alot of versatility.
Quote by davem27
hey guys, i know these questions get asked all the time here, but i need help.

i want a guitar that i can get varius tones out of....also keep in mind i dont expect to nail all these sounds exactly but im looking for a guitar that can do:

hendrix tone- castles made of sand, the wind cries mary- (strat tone)

clapton/slash tone- sunshine of your love, sweet child of mine- (les paul sound)

metal/hardcore tone- zakk wylde, killswitch engage, atreyu...(emg sounding i guess)

i have about 500 dollars to spend, id probably buy used.
i like guitars that are comfortable
i also for some reason like guitars that feel somewhat cheap....i dont like glossy guitars like les pauls that id feel bad getting a scrach on it.
i like mahogany.

now im thinking the best way to do this would be to buy a used guitar and change the pickups.

any advice???

You're gonna have a tough time finding something with that much variety for $500, maybe try looking for a Gibson SG Special used?
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
The Dimarzio super distortions would be great for that.
I'm actually thinking of adding those to my Rhoads.

yea i def want my bridge pickup to be a super distortion or a hot rails....im thinking mayb a single coil in the middle(or coiltap i guess), and then mayb a lower output humbucker in the neck.
Quote by Sledgeman
If you get a guitar with H-S-H configuration you could try Dimarzios. Tone zone for bridge, Air Norton for neck and maybe an HS-3 for single. Tone Zone/Air Norton is a very popular combination that will give you alot of versatility.

i was thinking of mixing different brands of pickups though.

the other thing is i dont love how H-S-H guitars typically look, although i could probably get over it
Quote by controlledchaos
You're gonna have a tough time finding something with that much variety for $500, maybe try looking for a Gibson SG Special used?

i dont really get what your trying to say....a more expensive guitar is going to give me more variety?

i kinda disagree....and id rather not buy a gibson, theyre cool but in my opinion kinda overpriced.

either way i plan to sell my epi zakk wylde lp...with the active emg's and hardcase i should get 400-500?....so i can spend about 350-400 on a guitar and 100-300 on pickups...

im just trying to figure out wat would be a good guitar model and which pickups to give me all my sounds.

also, how do i multi quote?
HSS strat or HSH configured Ibanez or something. The Ibanez you'll find with a mahogany body, you'll need an S series. As far as HSS strats are concerned, the blacktop series used mahogany.

Personally, I think if you're looking for versatility, you'll need to put the pickup configuration ahead of body wood.
Quote by W4RP1G
HSS strat or HSH configured Ibanez or something. The Ibanez you'll find with a mahogany body, you'll need an S series. As far as HSS strats are concerned, the blacktop series used mahogany.

Personally, I think if you're looking for versatility, you'll need to put the pickup configuration ahead of body wood.

i agree, but id still like it to be mahogany...

cus even if its a guitar with two humbuckers i can do coil tap
A coil tap is pretty nice for playing cleans and heavy distortion on the same guitar, but they aren't true single coils, and they don't hold up against real singles with blues and such. EMGs that coil tap are supposed to be a true single coil when tapped, but they are actives, and generally used for playing metal.

You can also keep an eye out for an H-P90 configuration, like slash uses. A P90 in the neck position is a beautiful thing.
I have an Ibanez S-Series with HSH configuration and after I swapped the bridge and neck pickups for a Tone Zone and PAF Pro, I could get pretty much any sound I wanted by changing around the EQ. But I paid around $900 for my guitar and pickups together. A cheaper, used S series and ebay pickups would probably get you close to the 500 dollar mark.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by W4RP1G
A coil tap is pretty nice for playing cleans and heavy distortion on the same guitar, but they aren't true single coils, and they don't hold up against real singles with blues and such. EMGs that coil tap are supposed to be a true single coil when tapped, but they are actives, and generally used for playing metal.

You can also keep an eye out for an H-P90 configuration, like slash uses. A P90 in the neck position is a beautiful thing.

yea thats why im thinking about something that does have a single coil...i know coil tap isnt great..

i was gonna go with a strat and put a hot rail in the neck, a single coil in the middle and something hot in the bridge.

the thing that worries me is ive been getting more into hardcore/metal and i dont know if a strat would b good for that
Quote by davem27
yea thats why im thinking about something that does have a single coil...i know coil tap isnt great..

i was gonna go with a strat and put a hot rail in the neck, a single coil in the middle and something hot in the bridge.

the thing that worries me is ive been getting more into hardcore/metal and i dont know if a strat would b good for that

They have fat strats with mahogany bodies, which would be much better for metal.

Maybe if you get an invader in the bridge, you would sound br00t4l.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by davem27

You know, I realized a while ago that a versatile guitar is cool, but I'd rather have separate guitars for different styles. So I have a strat, a 7 string, a Les Paul with P90s, and an Ibanez Prestige. This covers a lot of ground and each guitar is really good at what it was intended for.

I know everyone can't just go out and buy 4 different guitars, but it's just a though.