Hey guys, It's gonna be my birthday next month and I'll get money from my dad. So I wanna know what type of amp and guitar would you recommend me.

My budget is around $500. I play mostly Metal, rock and heavy stuffs. I'm trying to look for gears in Singapore that could be used at home. I'm currently using an Ibanez GIO( Not sure about the model) and a Beta Alvin amplifier. If possible, I'd like something that can put weight on my playing, making my sound heavier. Thank you
Well on that budget i'm not sure about a guitar yet ( As it is always best to get an amp as priority, a crap amp can make a good guitar sound rubbish)

But as for an amp, a truly diverse, modern, user friendly amp would be the Peavey Vypyr, Check any one of those series, not the tube amps, way too expensive.

It is a modeling amp but i'm sure everyone will agree that its the best sounding. Especially for metal but as i said it can do anything. There is so much more you can do than these line 6 and Vox amps out there.

Get the sanpera 1 Foot pedal to easily switch preset tones to play live music like they do on stage, With the Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt RMS ( This is one of the few that plays 75 watt average, not peak)

Will be about £320, so that leaves £180 for a new guitar if you still need it after this beast.
Last edited by Jake789521 at Jul 6, 2011,
If you're happy with your guitar and it's comfortable to play then an amp upgrade sounds like a good idea to get you on your way to a heavier sound. Not sure about the prices in Singapore but the Peavey Vypyr is regarded as a very good metal amp on a budget.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
I second the Vypyr suggestion. A lower-watt Blackstar (ht-1 or ht-5) might work for home practice.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
I have a Vypyr 30. For 200$ it does metal pretty well, I would recommend it if you want a metal tone with a low budget.
LTD MH-103QM $300
Peavey Vyper 30 $200
Total = $500
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I like my guitar. But I feel it's a bit old. I've had it since 2 years ago. So if possible, I'd like a new one. Right now my Amp sounds like crap. It's not heavy enough. Should I change an amp or get a distortion pedal? What's the difference between the sound you get from selecting "Distortion" by tuning the knob on the amp and playing it through a dist pedal?
Look at the Squier Afinnity Strat. It's a great first guitar. And look at the cube 30x. Roland makes some great modeling amps.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Hold up... is that S$500 or US$500?

Other than the modeling amps... I'm not sure if S$500 will get you very far. Willing to go used?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
you might want to look harder at a better amp and perhaps putting anew pickup in the bridge of your current guitar. don't know how far $500 goes in singapore but since it doesn't go far here it probably goes even less there. as mentioned your cash will go farther if you look on the used market.
I don't want to look for used ones. So if it's not possible to get both a good amp and a guitar at SGD $500, just recommend me one of the two you would feel it's more advisable to upgrade.
Quote by ThEgAmE93
I don't want to look for used ones. So if it's not possible to get both a good amp and a guitar at SGD $500, just recommend me one of the two you would feel it's more advisable to upgrade.

here at ultimate guitar it's usually going to be the amp. so the amp.
Quote by ThEgAmE93
I like my guitar. But I feel it's a bit old. I've had it since 2 years ago. So if possible, I'd like a new one. Right now my Amp sounds like crap. It's not heavy enough. Should I change an amp or get a distortion pedal? What's the difference between the sound you get from selecting "Distortion" by tuning the knob on the amp and playing it through a dist pedal?

You want a new guitar because your current guitar is to old?(2 years)
If you like your guitar and it has no issues in playability then there isnt a need to upgrade it with your budget!

Invest all the money into a amp.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
S$500 at best will get you another Ibanez Gio and a Spider from City Music. If you forget about the guitar you might be able to get a Peavey Vypyr 30. $500 will not get you very far. Lurk Soft to check out 2nd hand stuff. IIRC, s$500 might not even net you a JCA 20 or a Blackstar 5 combo.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I also reccomend just the amp upgrade and possibly a pickup in your current guitar.

As for the pedal Q' its alot easier to switch a pedal than to use the gain knob. Plus stompboxes usually have better sounding gain and have more controls than amp distorsion. But stomboxes still wont help your tone on a crap amp.
Quote by Woffelz
Look at an Ibanez RG [NOT GIO] and a Roland Cube.

This but I'd go with VT20+ I'm sort of VT cheer leader IMHO they have the best tone of the modeling amps a Vypyr 30 would by my 2nd choice...

They're both pretty good practice amps you can even use them in a small gig or jam session without any problems

The RG321 is one of if the best bang for the buck

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg321mh-electric-guitar
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by ThEgAmE93
I like my guitar. But I feel it's a bit old.?

What you really need is new strings..
I've changed new strings. Yeah I love my guitar, but I wanted to get a new one. I also wanted to change my amplifier. So I'm kinda confused which one to change. Alright guys. I'll check whether the amps and guitar are available in the music stores. Btw, what's the reason for recommending those amps? Are they heavy?
Quote by Willowthewitch
The RG321 is one of if the best bang for the buck

Sometimes I wonder what's the point of jumping in and giving a response when you don't even do the research or check the currency. If you've not done the homework at least qualify to say you're not sure of the prices where the TS is.

Quote by ThEgAmE93
So if it's not possible to get both a good amp and a guitar at SGD $500

The guitar in question costs S$142.00 above the TS' budget.

http://sweelee.com.sg/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_17_178&products_id=877

Just get the amp, Peavey Vypyr, new from Swee Lee's is about S$280 if I recall the prices correctly.

Don't bother with a tube amp, you're not going to get very far with that budget.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Its one of the better modelers for rock/metal level gains.

I can't tell you how good it is... that's like asking me if I how good the Bak Kut Teh is at Serangoon or at Balestier.

Go test and try it.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Yeah for the money it is the best sounding modeling amp(hard rock/metal). The roland cube sounded a bit thinner, if I am not mistaken it was from the 10inch speaker where the peavey had a 12.

It sounds like the at the point you are playing your amp needs to be upgraded. Worry about the guitar later.
1. Bring your guitar
2. Plug into amp
3. ????
4. Profits!

Try the different amp models, try to dial in some good sounds?

Get the staff at Swindle's to dial in some good tones, and then twiddle it to your liking?

Start all EQ at 12 o'clock. Twiddle until you get nice tones on most of the models?

See how many amp models you like?

Try all the different models?

Try the Roland cube and Vox VT and some other amps in that range... see which you like more?

Compare against youtube vids?

There must be more than one way to try an amp...
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 11, 2011,
Quote by ThEgAmE93
Oh. How do I go about testing an amp?

Just find a store that sells them and ask to try one out. While you're trying it out test out all the different channels to see how they sound and try and dial in a few different tones.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Not trying to sound stupid but, what do you mean by " dial in a few different tones?"
Quote by ThEgAmE93
Not trying to sound stupid but, what do you mean by " dial in a few different tones?"

The Vypyr has digital models of a few amps, so you can try a few amp models and see if you can get a different sounds from a few different models (get a clean, pushed, moderate gain, rock sound, metal sound etc) ... or to get a different sounds from 1 amp model (get a few different band's sounds from 1 model like maybe AC/DC, GNR, Zep, Rainbow, Dio etc).
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
So it means to test whether that single amp could give me Clean, Fuzz, Metalzone, OD and Dist?
Quote by ThEgAmE93
So it means to test whether that single amp could give me Clean, Fuzz, Metalzone, OD and Dist?

In an manner of speaking, yes.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
te peavy has all of those on board, just have a play with the settings and see if you like it, if your not very good with settings ask the shop to help out. there is plenty gain on the amp to be heavy, and its not to bad, but its up to your ears. dont go and buy a shit amp, and then come back saying, my amp is rubbish, everyones advice has been 100% helpfull

good luck