Hey so i've been learning the song Wake up Dead by Megadeth for a cover to do with these guys i have recently started to jam with and they want me to learn a couple songs. However the problem is I have the entire song down but when i play it too speed my wrist hurts because i think its constant tension on my wrist from all the power chord progressions that move very fast, as well as the blistering solos in there.\

So my question is how can i learn to have less tension at the wrist, do I just keep practicing until I know the song effortlessly and then my strength will build up? Also is it necessary to use a metronome when practicing songs even if I have a good sense of timing and rhythm since I've listen to the song so much?

Any other advice is much appreciated as well

Thanks again UG members!
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
Relax your hand, face the palm downwards. Now without useing your hand musceles turn your arm so your palm faces up. But your pick in between your fingers and grip the pick just enough so you dont drop it. Now practice that song again, if you start feeling tense you have to work at the tempo right below you do that. tension is never a good thing and pain should be avoided.

This relax and play is what ive been doing for 2 months now, helped me alot this far. I might not be quite back to my normal speed but i can play the stuff effortless and without straining myself.

On the metronome question, no. I use a metronome at certain tempos only. Like first time when i want to memorize a lick. next time when im stuck at a speed i just loop it with a metronome at that speed and after a day or two that speed that was at my edge got easy, and then repeat.
ok thank you very much for the information, i don't quite understand the wrist tension and pain still i can understand from seeing it so is there a diagram or a video that covers it? Thanks again!
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321