I have a budget of $300.00 and I am looking for an amp to use with my band. I have looked at a few of the modeling amps, vox, fender mustang, line 6 spider. How many watts will I need to be heard over the bass and drums? Is a modeling amp the right choice, or am I better off with a multi-effects pedal with a combo amp? We play contemporary Christian music from rock to blues and folk.
Last edited by johnrayment at Jul 6, 2011,
go to ebay. search for used Peavey amps, preferably a 2x12 combo. It'll be solid state at that price. Old Peavey solid states are awesome as far as being versatile and you can get them for a steal on eBay.

If you decide to go modeling amp, then for the record I strongly warn against the Line 6.
To be heard over drums? 50 watts will get you there, but it's generally better to mic your cab with a PA system. That only applies to smaller areas. If you're gigging, obviously you'll need a little more power and more than a 1 x 12 cab.
Quote by katalyzt13
If you decide to go modeling amp, then for the record I strongly warn against the Line 6.

That and the Marshall MG series
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal