Wasn't sure where to put this but...

I have a strat type guitar, and break strings very often! I thought it would be easier to keep my backplate off after I started fiddling around for ages trying to get the ball of a severed string out from my bridge. Now, I've heard from a few people that sometimes you'll get an electric shock while playing without the cover, yet for the last three years I've never experienced this. What's going on?
Nah you're fine to have the backplate off.

I have many floyd rose guitars most of them dont have the backplate since i adjust springs everytime they get restrung so its a pain to put them on and off all the time!

Dunno where the electric shock thing is coming from unless the guitar isnt grounded or something else.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jul 6, 2011,
It doesn't matter whether it's on or off. I took the covers off both of my strats long ago and never bothered to put them back on.

If you get shocked then it's due to something else other than your guitar. Sometimes older amps with the 2 prong power cables can give you a shock if the power connector isn't in the plug the right way. My bassman will do this, and you can get a shock if you get close to a mic or touch the two inputs on the front face, but I've never been shocked through my guitar.
Huh... the dude who just fixed my guitar up is talking a load of rubbish then?

He's been playing for the best part of fifty years, are you guys sure there's no truth in this?
If you trust his judgement so much, why do you have to ask?
I've never been shocked by having my back plate off on the MANY trem equipped guitars i've owned/own...
The guitar uses passive circuitry, thus if you are ever shocked then the culprit is not the guitar, but something else entirely. The guitar is merely the bridge between yourself and the amplifier or the power that it's connected to, so the guitar backplate would be the least of your worries.

Furthermore, the backplate only covers the trem block, claw, and springs. All of which are connected to the bridge on the top of the guitar, so even if the plate was on you would still get a shock from some other point on the top of the guitar, again, making the backplate a useless matter.
Quote by coolstoryangus
If you trust his judgement so much, why do you have to ask?

I barley even know the guy, he offered to fix the neck after a gig.
on a strat the backplate is useless, on a guitar where it covers the electronics I like to have it on to keep the dust out, otherwise its real easy for the pots to get dirty
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
If someone is receiving electric shocks, the problem is either the amp or faulty wiring at the outlet they are plugging it into. Either way, they should not use that amp/outlet combo until BOTH have been checked by an electrician.

Some claim that leaving the backplate off a Strat results in better tone. This is a load of crap. It has never been proven in a double blind test, and never will. That being said, there is no harm either in leaving it off if you like.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
EVH would say it doesn't matter, so theres your answer
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
EVH would say it doesn't matter, so theres your answer

If this is the case, then I'm convinced.
Ive had the backplates off of my strat for a while, I never really bothered to put it back on. On my Ibanez RG350, the backplate has specific cutouts in it so you dont need to unscrew all 6 screws to adjust the trem claw, so I leave it on. Its all a matter of personal taste/convenience. I had the same problem you did, so I went out and bought some GraphTech string saver saddles. They worked like a charm, and theyre about 40 bucks or so. Havent broken a string in about a year on my strat, and Ive got an aggresive picking style.
Quote by chip46
The guitar uses passive circuitry, thus if you are ever shocked then the culprit is not the guitar, but something else entirely. The guitar is merely the bridge between yourself and the amplifier or the power that it's connected to, so the guitar backplate would be the least of your worries.

Furthermore, the backplate only covers the trem block, claw, and springs. All of which are connected to the bridge on the top of the guitar, so even if the plate was on you would still get a shock from some other point on the top of the guitar, again, making the backplate a useless matter.

the reason you don't get shocked by the guitar, is not because guitar is passive. with a bad power cord on the amp (2 prong) without a proper ground connection, the metal "ground" parts of your guitar~amp is NOT at 0v. your microphone will be around 0v, and your other gear will be 0v. the difference in potential (which is voltage) result in a shock. your body when playing this guitar will not be at 0v, and when you touch a metal object that has good connection to earth (0v) then electrons will rush into YOU because your potential is more positive than the earth, you feel a shock. you feel like the guitar isn't causing the shock because you're always touching the strings. the strings are charged and your body is also charged.

that said, backplate on/off will not matter. guitar strings and the tremolo block/springs are electrically connected via contact points. what does that mean? if you're getting shocked by the tremolo block/springs, you should be shocked by the strings too... so there's no point to put the back plate ON if your strings are energized. does it matter if you put the backplate on/off? no. in my guitar builds, i dont put it on because i dont want to shell out $5 for a replacement and 6 screws.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i thought it belonged in the case.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by xxIceManxx08
Oh, and for future reference, Hendrix had his backplate off too. :3

But Hendrix is dead so clearly it was dangerous!
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
What Shot said. If there is voltage on the trem, it's also on the strings.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've heard people say they get less feedback with the plate off (they heard it too, and didn't believe it but they tried it and it was true) I don't know how true it is, but it sort of makes sense, if the trem cavity has the cover on there it would resonate at certain frequencies, which could cause more feedback.
I've never tried it though

There is a very subtle tonal difference acoustically, but through an amp its not really noticeable.
Quote by littlephil
I've heard people say they get less feedback with the plate off (they heard it too, and didn't believe it but they tried it and it was true) I don't know how true it is, but it sort of makes sense, if the trem cavity has the cover on there it would resonate at certain frequencies, which could cause more feedback.
I've never tried it though

There is a very subtle tonal difference acoustically, but through an amp its not really noticeable.

Less feedback? That's the first time I'm hearing this.

I take my back plates off because I don't like the sound of my bass with the plate on... there's something of a "bass boom" with the plate on.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
i just dont like drilling unnecessary holes into my guitar. i prefer 8-hole pickguard instead of 11. i dont drill the back plate because that's extra 6 holes jebus.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard