Don't bother with a higher wattage version of a practice amp. Just get the lowest possible wattage possible with a 12 inch speaker.
Depends, what tones are you going for?

Quote by coolstoryangus
Don't bother with a higher wattage version of a practice amp. Just get the lowest possible wattage possible with a 12 inch speaker.

What if he wants to practice with a band without using his "real" rig?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Then he should pick up a valve combo so he can actually be heard over the mix.
Modellers rarely cut it in practice rooms, in my experience.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule but not here.
Ive never had a problem with my Vypyr 75 cutting through. what kind of music are you looking to play?
I've never had a problem with my vox AD cutting through either, it's called EQ.

Guitars:
Fender American Standard Strat 2009 Limited Edition
Ibanez Gak30

Amps
Jcm 800 2203 '82

Pedals:
John bull jr overdrive
Boss Equalizer GE-7
Boss TU-3
Boss CH1

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/hereliesnuggetband
Whatever. Nothing cuts through like a tube amp. If you ever play a modeller in a band where the other guitarists has something with hot and sexy tubes in it. You're fecked metaphorically speaking...

I say this from personal experience. Except i was the one with the hot and sexy tubes that fecked a modeller.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Whatever. Nothing cuts through like a tube amp. If you ever play a modeller in a band where the other guitarists has something with hot and sexy tubes in it. You're fecked metaphorically speaking...

I say this from personal experience. Except i was the one with the hot and sexy tubes that fecked a modeller.

+1

ive heard jet citys are good but get a tube amp. then maybe buy a multi effects pedal or save up for a pedalboard, so you can crank the distortion and own all the modelers. im turning to a hot sexy tube person soon.
I have both a tube amp and a modeller, and when I use the tubes the other guitarist cuts through just fine, its a matter of finding two tones that work well together within the band.

Guitars:
Fender American Standard Strat 2009 Limited Edition
Ibanez Gak30

Amps
Jcm 800 2203 '82

Pedals:
John bull jr overdrive
Boss Equalizer GE-7
Boss TU-3
Boss CH1

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/hereliesnuggetband