Sonic Youth one of my favorite bands yet I do not know how to play a single of their songs on guitar. I think its very difficult because:

1- There's 2 guitarists
2- Most of the time they're in extremely complicated tunings
3- A lot of the time it just feels like a wall of noise anyways.

Can anyone think of a relatively straightforward and simple SY song? Preferably in one of the easier tunings.
"Teenage Riot" isn't hard either, once you're tuned correctly.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
I once started playing a pretty decent spontaneous transcription of "Diamond Sea," and I got pretty excited, but then I ran out of frets.
you can play most of "Sunday" in regular 'ol drop D. Dirty Boots isnt too bad either iirc

just my two cents: dont be afraid to try alt. tunings. they can change the way you approach playing
Quote by neidnarb11890
"Kool Thing" is easier than TS's mom.

I thought the whole point was no weird tuning.

Open D is weird tuning.
Quote by iwannabesedated
I thought the whole point was no weird tuning.

Open D is weird tuning.

It isn't really, and If you have a chromatic tuner these tunings are no problem at all.
Quote by TheTones
It isn't really, and If you have a chromatic tuner these tunings are no problem at all.

I have a chromatic tuner, but I, and many others, would probably not want to break it out and tune it for one song.

To me, if the strings in the EADGBE format (even if they are a half or whole step down) is normal. Everything else is "weird." Except maybe Drop D (or drop C# if the rest are half step down, as I do that sometimes).
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
Open D is a pretty darn conventional tuning by Sonic Youth standards.

Tis true.
Quote by iwannabesedated
I have a chromatic tuner, but I, and many others, would probably not want to break it out and tune it for one song.

To me, if the strings in the EADGBE format (even if they are a half or whole step down) is normal. Everything else is "weird." Except maybe Drop D (or drop C# if the rest are half step down, as I do that sometimes).

That is a bit like like saying , my guitar is dreadfully out of tune , but you know what, I cba getting it out to tune it. Seriously , to progress, you need to play in more than one tunings. Plus if you tune to any open tunings you can play some bad ass slide guitar