As the title says.
So anyways I need to learn.
We were working on simple chord songs (he said stairway, I said **** you).
So i learnt Feel like makin love, Bad moon Rising and Brown Eyed Girl.
Since a few of you teach, can I get a few suggestions?
Im pretty good at single note runs and such but I completely skipped chordage until recently. Thanks.
I'd go with songs that are a little less about getting laid. Honestly, Stairway to Heaven and Brown-Eyed Girl are pretty good, as is Jumper by Third Eye Blind and Rain by Breaking Benjamin.

Just a suggestion, try not to insult your instructor. You're paying him to teach you for a reason: because he knows more than you.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Just learn whatever you want man. I don't bother with lessons cuz I've never learned anything that way. A lot of guitar GREATS learned by themselves.

One of my first songs was Confined by As I Lay Dying. Really good one to try out if you wanna learn alt picking. And pretty easy as well.

What I suggest you do, is find a guitarist who really inspires you and learn a few of their songs. THEN, once you have a basic feel/understanding of your instrument, write your own music. Whenever you get a tune in your head, either play it or write it down if you know how.

If none of those methods interest you then oh well :P I tried.
The Beatles, CCR, and The Who all have a decent number of chord songs. Do you know many chords yet? Barre chords are also going to be coming up soon for you I'd imagine.
I'd like to add that having a teacher can be a huge help and I encourage sticking with lessons. You may have some bad habits that a teacher can help fix right away.
Quote by kratos379
The Beatles, CCR, and The Who all have a decent number of chord songs. Do you know many chords yet? Barre chords are also going to be coming up soon for you I'd imagine.

Not really. All the open chords, very few barre (because of ccr and stray cat strut), and B7 and E7, a few minor...
Not big on the beatles, but I'll have a look. Also maybe try the seeker!

Quote by jwd724
I'd go with songs that are a little less about getting laid. Honestly, Stairway to Heaven and Brown-Eyed Girl are pretty good, as is Jumper by Third Eye Blind and Rain by Breaking Benjamin.

Just a suggestion, try not to insult your instructor. You're paying him to teach you for a reason: because he knows more than you.

I didnt insult him. I insulted the song.
I pay him to teach me to play better. I could not give half a **** if steve vai told me to learn stairway. The answer will be the same. Theres other songs to learn from that dont annoy me.
Quote by DimebagZappa
Not really. All the open chords, very few barre (because of ccr and stray cat strut), and B7 and E7, a few minor...

I pay him to teach me to play better. I could not give half a **** if steve vai told me to learn stairway. The answer will be the same. Theres other songs to learn from that dont annoy me.

I let my students pick their own songs within reason. As a teacher you have evaluate what's within the students reach or not. Combined with what the teaching goals I've set. I'm a huge advocate of teaching technique playing songs and having fun.

Actually I've been known to pass off students who want to learn extensive theory to another instructor.

EDIT:

I know my own limitations my formal theory background is spotty at best.
Plain and simple I can't teach what I don't know.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Jul 6, 2011,
Quote by DimebagZappa

Lemme guess....
You thought you were being all cool and not giving a shit and told him right to his face that you would not learn that particular song and that said song "annoyed" you and you wouldn't care who told you to learn it because you're you and you won't do what you don't want to.

Sound about right?

It's one thing not to want to learn a song. That's cool. I personally don't care for Led zeppelin. But there is a right way and a wrong way to go about informing your teacher of your preferences. And the right way is not being a little shit and telling him to fvck off. That's definitely the wrong way.

See, you pay him money to teach you to play better. That implies that you respect his ability as a musician and as a teacher enough to request his services and provide payment in return. If you don't show him that respect in person, the money isn't worth it. there's a million little boys who want to learn guitar and some of them learned not to be defensive little punks. Apparently, you're not one of them.

If you don't want to learn a certain song, fine. You should be vocal about what you want to learn. There are a million other songs out there that use chords in the same way stairway does. my guess is that your teacher made the assumption that you'd like to learn a song people would recognize so that their interest would make you want to keep playing. that monster! If that's not what you want, just say something to the effect of "I'm not a huge Zeppelin fan. Do you know any other songs I could learn that use chords like that that don't happen to be Zeppelin?"

The truth is, he probably didn't "bail" on you. He probably should have let you know that he wasn't going to show, but I hope that he didn't just drop you without letting you know. That said, if your attitude is half as rotten in real life as it is online, I'm not so sure he wouldn't be justified to do just that, though not giving you a heads up does keep him from giving you a sweet parting shot.
Quote by DimebagZappa

Sometimes you need to play something to get better regardless if you like it or not.
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
Wow man. I know my instructor fairly well now. He didnt care and moved on instantly.
Also I know why he missed the lesson. You take things way too literally.
I just didnt wanna go a week without learning something along the same lines.

So I picked up the seeker and got the gp file for beatles revolution. Thanks kratos I wasnt thinking along those lines at all.
just wait till you get to chromatic excercises... yeah, that sounds fun....
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."